Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Junior

Cats owned: Maine Coon and Norwegian Forest
30-11-2005, 10:36 PM   #11

Re: showing cats

Hi
We used to show our Maine Coons and you can start from about 13/14 weeks. Breeders can tell from a very young age if a kitten is going to be what the judges want. When I first saw my Supreme Champ boy he was about 3/4 weeks old and between me and the breeder we felt he had a great chance on the show bench, and by his title above you can see she was right!!!
If you want to show the best person to ask about show hopes is the breeder you got the kitten from. If they've been a breeder for any length of time they will know and if it's good they should be happy to advise and encourage you to show. If you do well it gives their breeder prefix publicity and then they possibly get more business so it's in their interest that you do well. If they discourage you then I would think your kitten isn't show type and therefore they don't want a less than fantastic example of their kittens shown off.

Sorry if that seems a bit off bu thats what some breeders are like. It was stuck up snooty ones that made me stop showing, I couldn't be bother with the back stabbing of others doing well.

cheers