Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Almost a Veteran Member

Cats owned: Moggies
19-05-2006, 05:45 PM   #101

Re: Pebbles is having to go to the vets tomorrow

Well, this morning I had to carry her growling into the cat room for some food, and really coax her, which worried me - I dont mind coaxing her, and got up early in anticipation, but it obv isn't good if she doesnt want to eat by herself. Tonight, she tried to get out, and has wolfed half a pouch and 10g of biscuits, before turning her nose up at the rest of it. I can't leave food out for her all day without confining her though, so maybe that has something to do with it. That leg is still looking awful when seh walks though, and worse when she runs up the stairs!!

Almost a Veteran Member

21-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #102

Bit of an up and down weekend really. She has had 2 mealtimes out of 3 where she has walked up to the food bowl, but she isn't eating large amounts although does eat more when encouraged to - hopefully that is cos she isn't that active. But, when she does walk, the weakness in her leg is worse than it ever was, and is no longer restricted to just walking on the bed, the floorboards and up the stairs. So will have to see what the vet says, I dont think it is fair on her to keep up with the meds, as she has had 4 days of 75mg Antirobe, I day just on Metacam, and today will be the 6th day on 100mg Antirobe, and will be the 3rd day on 3 drops of Metacam, and while she sometimes seems better in herself, she isn't walking any better, so I dont think it is going to suddenly change if we give her another 4 days on meds (teh vet said 2 weeks, but only gave me 10 tabs).

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
21-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #103

Seems to me that the two weeks were just to see if you could control the pain. Would take months of physio to get the weak muscles going and to get the rest of her used to the shorter leg. And with the rest that's not right, not even then, I guess. Shame she doesn't seem to be in any less trouble. : /
Encouraging that she's still eating, even if not very enthusiastically.
I'd agree that it seems wrong to keep her hevily medicated (with all the risks and damage they do over time) when there is a "cure" available.

{{hug}} wish I could help.... : /

Almost a Veteran Member

21-05-2006, 02:01 PM   #104

Hmm, forgot about that. I still dont think that long term trying to keep this leg is going to be the best for her though, there are so many issues that she is always goign to have issues with it. And there is a risk that she will get worse if medication is reduced/stopped, and I have issues with how much Metacam she is on after what the vet who operated on her said. Plus it isn't licensed for use in cats so no studies to show long term effects of it. I just hope I am not doing the right thing by pushing for the op without givign her longer, but this has been dragging on for 4 weeks now, she has already lost a significant amount of weight and has only had one week where she hasn't been on meds, the rest of the time she has either been in pain or that heavily medicated that she doesn't feel it, and she isn't happy at being kept indoors either - if this had been this time last year, there would have been no probs, as she wasn't going out much!!
Edited to add - decided to check all the claws today, and hers were in a right state with not going out (she doesnt use scratching posts, and obv hasn't been using the bed), even her back claws, so went to do them, and the paw on her dodgy leg was very tricky to do, as it wouldnt move!! I was holding her like a baby, and couldn't move the leg or the paw.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Abyssinian tear-aways.
21-05-2006, 05:35 PM   #105

I wasn't disagreeing with that.
Just trying to sort out why the vet put her on meds for ten days, and all I could think of was to give her a break to recover before the op, or to ease the pain so her body could try to build the alternative muscles to deal with the dodgy leg. And came to the conclusion that the latter was a wash-out.
Poor Pebbles. Not easy for either of you.

Almost a Veteran Member

21-05-2006, 05:59 PM   #106

No, I know you weren't. I think I was voicing my train of thought in case any comments came from it that could be helpful when dealing with the vet, or in case there was some flaw in my train of thinking!! One prob with living on your own, no one to help make tricky decisions. She is getting harder to pill, it was amusing putting pills down a growling cat, but is getting a bit disconcerting now, esp when she is growling while licking the 'well done Primula' off your finger!! And then spitting at you after she finishes it. I did try and feel her paw again earlier, and got bit for that!!

Almost a Veteran Member

22-05-2006, 05:02 PM   #107

HAd an up and down night - started off wonderfully, as she came under the duvet and we had kisses adn she slept so close she was breathing on me. Then after a while she got off, had a lot of water, came back on the bed, couldnt get what she wanted so batted Tom, back off the bed, more water, came back on the bed, couldnt get what she wanted again, so I went to kiss her and she went for me - luckily I moved my face, but she then swiped me round the head, as if telling me off for doing it. LEft her for a few mins, then went to stroke her and she went for me again. She went for Tom this morning, and barely ate, she just wanted to go out.
HAve spoken to the vet, who doesn't think we have any option other than to go through with the op, and it is booked for tomorrow. Soon, I know, but this has been dragging on for 4 weeks now, so I don't think it is fair on her, I have to put my feelings to one side. The vet doesn't feel it is that risky, and it might be the nose vet doing the op rather than her - she spends the majority of her time operating, so am confident about her doing it. So please keep your fingers crossed for her.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
22-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #108

Lets hope it helps her BT, best of luck.
dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 Moggies
22-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #109

Fingers crossed for Pebbles

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
22-05-2006, 05:10 PM   #110

Will be rootin' for her!