Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: 4 moggie monsters (1 with Wings)
22-01-2008, 01:36 AM   #1

recommend me insurance!

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a pet insurance company they are with? At the moment i have AJ and Raven covered by M&S but when i went to add Hernie and Rhino to it i found they had put their prices up a fair amount id been so busy lately that i forgot to look for another company, but yesterday Rhino jumped from the wardrobe and kicked off the wall directly onto a glass frame then once we had picked all the glass up Hernie decided to jump into the pile of it on the fish tank and brought it down with him smashing it some more so after i checked them and found them both to be fine(after nearly giving me two heart attacks within 5 minutes ) i thought id better finally get round to getting them insured as bringing them to an emergency vets on a sunday wouldnt have been fun for the credit card cats-who'd have em?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Owned BY Bubbles & Fizz (fem dsh)
22-01-2008, 03:08 AM   #2

Re: recommend me insurance!

Eek that must have been really scary Glad they are all OK

I have my two insured with Petplan who I've found to be very good and also give you a discount for each additional pet you have insured with them. I recently had to claim for surgery for my cat Bubbles and they paid with no quibbles. They have several different levels of cover as well so you can choose which one suits you best.

Hope that helps

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
22-01-2008, 08:26 AM   #3

All mine are insured with Petplan. Insurance has been a God send for Porsha, who's vet bill is somewhere around £2000 with all her illness problems They payed out no quibble and direct to the vet too, so I didn't have to stump up the money first and like Grete says, you get a discount for each additional pet insured with them. I've also got cover for life, so that no matter how many times they are ill with the same condition, they will always pay out

Catsey Senior

25-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #4

thankyou for your replies both of you-and yes it was very scary!

I got a quote from petplan yesterday and they are asking for just as much as marks and spencers for the cover for life at the moment im paying about £13.50 for AJ and Raven combined so i dont fancy paying £10 per cat i cant really afford £40 a month for insurance for them to be honest.

So if anyone else can recommend a good insurance company that isnt so expensive please let me know

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
25-01-2008, 12:28 PM   #5

I've no experience, as I haven't had to make a claim (long may that continue!) but I took Charliebubs' recommendation and have insured the dog and 2 cats with Axa. Very reasonable rates and a reasonable excess etc.
Do a search on previous insurance posts JB - I'm sure there have been some detailed discussions in the past and you may find a site that does comparisons for you.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1 Persian and one b/w moo-cat mog
25-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #6

I have had all mine insured with E&L. They paid out for dental work for Fifi and for Darcy's huge op when he had his tummy blockage without a squeak. They were originally called Equine and Livestock but I think they've changed that to a more generic name now. To be honest, I'm not sure how much I pay now

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 beautiful rescues.
25-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #7

I can get discounted insurance thru my professional organisation, sometimes a trade union offers this perk for employeees and their family. I know from recent experience how much pet insurance is a necessary evil. Posh wasn't insured when we had the 'lily event' and the cost was £350 for blood tests, rehydration and an overnight stay on a Bank Holiday !! so please get covered.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
25-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #8

Here's one previous thread. I needed to refresh my memory but it is as I thought, £17pm for the dog and both cats, full insurance and cover for life
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php...=insurance+axa

I'll go and look for Kim's link with all the companies sites listed and put that in on an edit

Catsey Senior

26-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #9

Thankyou for the replies and thanks for that link-i cant believe you got 2 cats and one dog insured for £17.50 i dont know why but i have just got a qoute from AXA and they are even asking for nearly £9 per cat do you think maybe all the insurance companies have put their prices up now? i have tried M&S, petplan and AXA now and all are qouting more or less the same.

Will have a search for E&L now and then try google for a list of pet insurance companies. trust me i do want all the cats insured but i really couldnt afford £40 a month

Catsey Senior

Cats owned: Domestic Shorthairs & Longhair
26-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #10

To be honest I wouldn't touch E&L with a 10 foot barge pole! We have a total nightmare getting money out of them for our clients who are insured with them, and our clients are constantly being told that they never received a claim form, when the thing has been sent by fax and post. The cover also does not tend to be that great.

Look for something with lifetime cover, and be sure to read the smallprint! you will find that some insurance companies will only cover each condition for one year from the date of diagnosis, and others will only cover you for so much money per condition.

Personally I am insured with PetProtect, it costs me around £27 per month for Amber & Max combined. Amber's cover is roughly around £7.50