Or Register for FREE!

Welcome to our Cat Forums!
Welcome to our CatForums!
You are seeing this message because you are viewing our cat forums as a guest.

You can continue to browse our many cat related areas as a guest but you are more than welcome to register and join our friendly community of Cat Lovers! ... And for free!

Doing so will also remove this message and some of the ads, such as the one on the left.

Please click here to register.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: .
Luke is Male
05-08-2006, 10:33 PM   #1

How would you go about introducing an adult cat into a household with other pets?

Just a scenario...how would you folks go about introducing a one year old cat, used to dogs etc into a house with two young dogs who are both exceedinglly soppy and cat mad and a slightly maturer moglet who, as long as is left to her devices, is usually fine?
Would things be difficult to get started and then get easier over time?
Any advice appreciated, thanks

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 5 of the most gorgeous moggiebeasts
05-08-2006, 11:37 PM   #2

Re: How would you go about introducing an adult cat into a household with other pets?

Very, very slowly.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 2 moggie boys; 1 grey 1 red striped
06-08-2006, 09:04 AM   #3

Re: How would you go about introducing an adult cat into a household with other pets?

Haven't done it Luke but my suspicion is that it would depend very much on the character of the cat to be introduced.

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 3 cats
06-08-2006, 09:16 AM   #4

HI - I've managed to log on at work again

Cats are so much harder to understand & introduce than dogs! Why can't cats be straight forward like dogs. A dog would tell you in the 1st minute if he liked his new family, a cat would take 6 months to ponder over it.

I think when introducing an adult cat to any household it is a gamble as you just never know how things will turn out & as DM pointed out - a lot depends on the cat & also what environment he/she has been used to. If the cat has been used to dogs - your half way there & if the dogs are used to cats then that makes life a lot easier all round.

My prefered way of introducing a cat is by using a folding crate / dog cage / kitten pen (call it what you like) I think to put the new cat in a cage in a corner of the main living area is an excellent way of exposing them to the new family. That way they are being introduced, but also they have a safety barrier / a secure comfort zone - where they know they are safe.

I always advise this method for people introducing a kitten to dogs, one lady once had a semi-feral kitten from me to join her 3 big bouncy dogs (labrador / Golden retriever & bassett) & also 5 other cats. Within no time the kitten was introduced - the cage took away the option to run & hide. & within a couple of weeks he was part of the family & the cage was gone!

Another way to introduce cats is to confine them to one room in the house with no contact from other animals until they are feeling confident & then slowly, slowly introduce the others.

Are you getting anothr cat now Luke?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: DSH/Siamese/Orientals
06-08-2006, 09:33 AM   #5

Smudgley's advice is excellent! come on Luke spill the beans, what are you up to?

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
06-08-2006, 10:13 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice folks, theres nothing set in concrete whatsoever...was just something i heard about through the grapevine, cat needs new home due to circumstances evolving etc...but not too sure due to timing and such.
Would you know pretty soon to the arrival of the cat whether he/she was happy or not?

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: 1
06-08-2006, 10:24 AM   #7

Personally, I would wait a while, let the pup mature a little, you have lost 2 pets in a short space of time, far too soon if you ask me. I bought an adult Cat here once, when I had my JRT, she near killed it!
Dawn.

Catsey Veteran

Luke is Male
06-08-2006, 10:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderdawn
Personally, I would wait a while, let the pup mature a little, you have lost 2 pets in a short space of time, far too soon if you ask me. I bought an adult Cat here once, when I had my JRT, she near killed it!
Dawn.
This is whats going through my head..it doesn't feel entirely right..plus i have the thing of how Clem would feel with an adult cat on her stomping ground, shes a fickle madam..and with everything thats happened lately i wouldn't wish to put any of the furry mob through more upset/upheavel.

Global Moderator

Cats owned: NA
06-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #9

Like Dawn, I too, feel it is far to soon to introduce another pet so soon after losing two

Don't rush into anything Luke.....

Catsey Veteran

Cats owned: Non at the moment
06-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #10

I think I would leave it Luke.

Why rock a boat thats just steadying up - you've been through some rough times lately and maybe its best to leave your animal family dynamics alone, I mean if the cat does not settle what will you do?