PDA

View Full Version : Instructions on how to give your cat a pill!

belladiablo
20-07-2005, 01:09 PM
1. Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth rub throat of cat to encourage swallowing.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of 10.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call wife from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, holding front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get wife to hold cat's head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get wife to lie on cat with its head just visible from below wife's armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force cat's mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply band-aid to wife's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbour's garden shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologise to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Force cat's mouth open with small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour a glass of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Get wife to drive you to emergency room; sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Stop by furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for session with Psychiatrist for even daring to think about giving your cat a pill!

Bellakatz
20-07-2005, 04:04 PM
Sue,just get yourseld a couple of clothes pegs
Works wonders :) :)

belladiablo
20-07-2005, 04:05 PM
ha ha ha!!!!

Mind ya fingers! don't think it would have worked on Sweetie!!!!!

Bellakatz
20-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Dont know what the vets are going on about
Sweetie is a pussy cat

Might not be saying that tonight once we have tried giving her ,her anti biotics :oops: :oops:

belladiablo
20-07-2005, 04:10 PM
OOOOooooh!
Deffo mind your fingers!

She is such a lovely cat until you want to do something she doesn't!

Can't blame her really!

Kazz
20-07-2005, 04:38 PM
My way to give a cat a tablet Cleo push it into the middle of cheese or if a small tablet cream :-D

If Oscar just hold it on my hand and he eats it. :-D

Dead simple.

Bellakatz
20-07-2005, 04:41 PM
I wish my Bengals were that easy,i cheat i wrap their tablets in chicken or raw mince :P :P

belladiablo
20-07-2005, 04:43 PM
I crush mine, and put them in their food, mostly works! Bengals are not that easy to fool though!!!! Too bloomin' clever for their own good!!!!

Kazz
20-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Both mine know its tablets but they eat them anyhow - mind you its helps if you keep them half starved :-D

Bellakatz
20-07-2005, 04:47 PM
Both mine know its tablets but they eat them anyhow - mind you its helps if you keep them half starved :-D

Lol...you did make me chuckle
:-D :-D :-D :-D

belladiablo
20-07-2005, 04:51 PM
psml

bless, my cats always act half starved, even if they have been fed in the last ten minutes!!!

Bellakatz
20-07-2005, 04:52 PM
I am sure all Bengals are like that Sue :shock: :shock:

belladiablo
20-07-2005, 04:56 PM
HA HA HA!
I think so too!!!

Azz
20-07-2005, 09:00 PM
We look after next doors cat when they go away and they have a 'thingy' that you use to give the cat a tablet, bit like an extended hand/rod type thingy!

He doesn't like it tho and last time they were away he went for me :shock:

they go away again this weekend! (but their mum is going to look after the cat... but will give me a shout if she cat give him the tabs! -as if Im an xpert- lol (but I help cos Im good like that!))

Mags
20-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Wish you'd come and give Cassie hers Azz, she went for the vet even though he was using long tongs! :roll:

Kazz
20-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Why Mags? does it not help if you hold her and just pop the tablet on the back of her throat then rub so she has to swallow?

Azz
20-07-2005, 09:05 PM
thats it those long tongs! thats what next doors use! they're handy arent they!

What tabs does cassie have? worming? I give cheetah liquid, she was good as gold! :)

Fran
20-07-2005, 09:07 PM
I have no problem with any of mine, even the cat I use to have that wouldn't let a vet near his mouth. I wrap them in a large towel so all claws are safely tucked away, lay them on their backs open their mouths put the tablet right to back of tongues close mouths and stroke throats until they swallow :-) Easy peasy!!!

Mags
20-07-2005, 09:08 PM
That was worming tablets....
Kazz, she gets very nasty if you try to open her mouth and would have my hand in no time.

My previous cat had to have tablets twice a day for most of his life and was good as gold but this one.....no way! :roll:

Fran
20-07-2005, 09:09 PM
The knack is in how you wrap them up in the towel :wink:

Mags
20-07-2005, 09:10 PM
I have no problem with any of mine, even the cat I use to have that wouldn't let a vet near his mouth. I wrap them in a large towel so all claws are safely tucked away, lay them on their backs open their mouths put the tablet right to back of tongues close mouths and stroke throats until they swallow :-) Easy peasy!!!
It's not her claws I'm worried about PK....it's her teeth!! :roll:

Fran
20-07-2005, 09:12 PM
All mine submit when you have them wrapped securely in the towel...

Mags
20-07-2005, 09:13 PM
You don't know my Cassie.....she turns into a Devil Cat :evil: :evil: :evil:

Fran
20-07-2005, 09:16 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: How do you get them down her Mags? I bet you dread worming time :roll:

Mags
20-07-2005, 09:21 PM
:lol: When she has her yearly booster I make sure I get the vet to give her one and then the rest of the year I have to break them up in tiny pieces and hide it in bits of cheese or ham....... :roll: what we've got to do for our pets!

belladiablo
20-07-2005, 09:23 PM
The knack is in how you wrap them up in the towel :wink:

hmmm!

Obviously not tried a Bengal then? ha ha ha ha!!!!!

My poor little Sweetie had to have a scan yesterday, they could not manage, (two vets and three nurses :shock: ), on a sedative! In the end she had to be knocked out!!!!!

Mags
20-07-2005, 09:24 PM
...so how do you get a tablet down them? :?

belladiablo
20-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Mags,

Some are okay, and will be fooled by crushing the tablet into food! Bengals though sweet in nature, 95% of the time, are good at wiggling out of towels, some you need a bathsheet, rather than a towel :shock: :shock: . It can be a job though!

Sweetie did NOT want the thermometer up her bottom, and I have to say I can't blame her, so she went from bad to worse at the vets!

You just have to be aware of each cats nature, and deal with accordingly!

I know some american breeders de-claw their cats, but think this is a bit drastic myself, and would rather try to find the best way for each cat/kitten, after all, look at from their point of view, and think I would react the same way!!!

Mags
20-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Cassie hates being picked up at the best of times so if she was wrapped up in a towel she would go beserk :roll:
I'm so glad I haven't got loads of cats to give tablets to :-D

Fran
20-07-2005, 09:39 PM
I think that it is the relationship I have with them... They trust me and being a nurse nothing phases me, I am very confident in dealing with things. I happily mange to give my horse his six monthly injections and the labs give me their bottoms when they see the thermometer coming out lol Like I say when I had Gizmo, the vet would have to put him under anaesthetic to get anywhere near his mouth but I had no problems worming him....and yes I do use very big towels :wink:

belladiablo
20-07-2005, 09:39 PM
It is funny how some cats hate being handled! Don't think it is just Bengals! I have heard of other breeders having the same problem

Mags
20-07-2005, 09:45 PM
No wonder you have so many pets PK......you've got no tablet problems! :-D :-D :-D

Fran
20-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Cassie hates being picked up at the best of times so if she was wrapped up in a towel she would go beserk :roll:
I'm so glad I haven't got loads of cats to give tablets to :-D

Have you tried those Panacur palatable tablets Mags - they are supposed to be like a treat? I haven't tried them so can't comment....

Mags
20-07-2005, 09:47 PM
My vet gave me one for the next worming PK.....said they taste very nice. She'd better take it ok because at £4 odd a tablet it's an expensive way to worm :roll:

Fran
20-07-2005, 09:48 PM
No wonder you have so many pets PK......you've got no tablet problems! :-D :-D :-D

:lol: @ Mags :wink:

Kazz
20-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Good Lord I did not realise my two were so good :shock: Oscar and Cleo have always just sat on the table at the vets regardless of what happens when things get bad Oscar puts his head in my coat/fleece As if to say if I can't see them they can't get me :roll:
Bit tablets, creams, anything and they are fine worst that happens is they get fed up of eating the tablets and have to be sat on my lap and I have to open their mouth and pop the tablet on the back of their tongue then rub so they swallow.

Am I just lucky or are they truely scared of me :evil:

Mags
20-07-2005, 11:02 PM
You've just got brilliant cats Kazz :roll:

Kazz
20-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Nah not really Mags I've beaten any form of resistance out of them over the last 20 odd years :roll: if you believe that the elephant just flew past the window

Mags
20-07-2005, 11:11 PM
What big ears it's got! :-D

Kazz
20-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Of course it has how do you think its staying in the air the ears are in effect wings :-D

Fran
20-07-2005, 11:20 PM
It wouldn't be a pink elephant by any chance Kazz.....it has just flown past my window :lol:

Mags
20-07-2005, 11:20 PM
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005

Kazz
20-07-2005, 11:22 PM
It wouldn't be a pink elephant by any chance Kazz.....it has just flown past my window :lol:

Of course it Pink PK do you honestly think there are TWO elephants flying tonight? :wink:

Fran
20-07-2005, 11:26 PM
:lol: @ Kazz!!