PDA

View Full Version : FENCE - PLEASE READ!

smudgley
06-06-2005, 08:02 PM
I need your help & advice as to what I should do.
We live in a built up area - but have a large garden & due to the shape of it - we back onto about 15/16 other gardens.
We have a large garage at the back of the house (in the garden) & yesterday I went around the back of the garage to store some mesh panels - To my amazement I noticed that one of the houses has got a strip of wood nailed to the fence in 2 places with a row of nails sticking up. Sharp side at the top!
Which makes me think that some grumpy ****** is trying to stop my cats from going in their garden, these strips of wood are either side of a bird box - so maybe someone is trying to protect some baby birds - which is fine - but this is not the right way to go about it surely.
If my cats wanted to go in there - they could go to the left or the right of these strips of wood anyway.
What shall I do? I don't really know which house it is as it's in the middle of a row of houses so to go & knock on the door is not the easiest option & not something I really want to do.
I said to my hubby that I will just take them off the fence.
What would you do?

PS If one of my cats got injured on them I'd soon find out which house it was & go & ram the nails up someones ar........................... rant over.

Mags
06-06-2005, 09:44 PM
That's a difficult one Smudgley.....if you don't know which house is the culprit, for the safety of your own cats I would either try to remove the offending pieces of wood or get a hammer and knock all those nails down. Then if the person who did it complains to you, just politely say you did it for the safety of your cats as you didn't know which house was responsible.

Above all I would try to keep any confrontation peaceful so that they know you were worried for your cats.

Moli
06-06-2005, 09:49 PM
I agree with Mags...but the most important things is to make safe for your cats...

smudgley
07-06-2005, 08:30 AM
The nails were hammered into a block of wood & the wood then nailed on top of the fence - so I can't knock them in at all -

My cats won't go on there anyway - (they are too clever 8) ) but I think it's just nasty that they have done it with the spiky bits at the top. If the heads of the nails were sticking up - it wouldn't be so bad.

Abbi
07-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Is the offending article actually on your land??

Mags
07-06-2005, 09:53 AM
........could you knock the points of the nails over into a hook shape...or flat so they are not so dangerous?

bobbie3917
07-06-2005, 12:45 PM
this is a sad thing to fine
and i think that it may be aginst the LAW. as if a person tried to get over that fence they would get hurt.
but i have to add that the person that done it also has the right to try to keep you cat's out of there garden if they want to.
i think the best thing to do is try to find out who's garden it is and talk to them

shonedek
07-06-2005, 02:39 PM
i didnt think you were allowed to do that kind of thing.There is a by law.If i was you i would speak to the police,as i said im sure your not allowed to put that kind of thing on fences.We wanted to put wire through are hedge(barbed)but were told we would be breaking the law .If someone hurt themselves on it they could do us.My reaction was what were they doing in the middle of my hedge?

smudgley
07-06-2005, 11:14 PM
my husband has this evening removed the 2 pieces of wood with the nails in & popped them on the floor in our garden by the fence :shock:

Just wait now & see if Mr Grumpy pants (whoever he is :? ) comes round our house.

Mags
08-06-2005, 08:33 AM
........now to see if he/she owns up to it! :-D
Good for you Mr 'Smudgley'!