PDA

View Full Version : Shoebox to Romania

Kazz
17-05-2005, 11:03 PM
Well I am in the midst of making up three shoeboxes to send to Romania. Part of a woman's magazine "My Weekly" called "Shoeboxes for Romania" This is taken from the magazine. I quote;
The destination is Romania, to many needy people. Schools for the deaf for the blind, orphaned children and abandonded babies, old people's homes where residents sometimes have to share a cup, maternity hospitals where mothers have no clothes for their babies. Children dying with cancer, HIV and aids. Children desperatley trying to survive on the streets, the desperately poor and the despairlingly homeless.
"

The idea is that you choose and age group and sex of the person you want to receive the box and pick gifts accordingly. The greatest need is always for school age boys and elderly men."

You can choose to make your box up with men and women boys or girls.
Any suggestions of something "special" not food or breakables that I could get in. My three this year are for Boy 10-14, Boy 14+ and elderly man.
There are set things. You can make universal. Which I have for all three ie.
Face Cloth, Soap, toothpaste, tooothbrush, shampoo. Combs. New underware, socks, hankies and cap in for elderly man, hat, gloves, scarfs. For 14+ and Elderly man I have put, Deodorant, shaving cream and brush. Aftershave.
For elderly man I also put in a mug, 2 x ties, belt, wallet, battery clock, set dominos. Dice.
For the Boy 10-14. I have put;Pencils, pens, rubbers sharpners, ruler geometry set, Writing pad, Cassettes Calculator, Pocket English dictonary, watch, slippers, personal stereo with batteries, pack playing cards, model airoplane (to make up) Small remote conrolled car. England shirt(not sure about that)
For Boy 14+ I put personal stereo batteries tapes, pocket game, music tapes, picture of Kylie, Cap (Hard Rock) England shirt (not sure about that)

I have made them up and sent them for about 3 years now and my young nieces and nephews make them up to they make them for children of their own age group.
Seemed a little to do for someone who has nothing to have "something" for Christmas.
These words in the magazine made me start.
"There is no-one in the world who cares for these children bar the staff, they get no presents or cards for birthdays or christmas.Never a party, they can't afford adequate underclothing - and some of these youngsters are changed 4-7 times a day. They have no toys, No TV's, Their only music comes from an old cassette recorder with a broken case. The only recreation is a swing, and two tiny chutes in the garden. They can't be used in the freezing wintersm Indoors their are classrooms and bedrooms they have not heard or seen a playroom."

So I am lookin for ideas? got any. No foodstuff or breakables they are handled a lot the parcels. Oh of course I put a Xmas cracker in and a card

Fran
18-05-2005, 11:09 AM
My children's school does this every year. Each child in the school makes a shoe box up and sends it in to school for the children in Romania for Christmas. We usually send little hand held toys/games, playing cards, underwear, smellies, yo yo's, tennis balls etc.. Not sure about the elderly gentlemen though, perhaps hat, scarf and gloves, underwear. I'll have a think......

Kazz
18-05-2005, 08:45 PM
YoYo an excellent idea :-D Thanks