PDA

View Full Version : horrid situation

bobbie3917
12-05-2005, 10:45 PM
a friend of mine had a run in with a man that was beatting his dog in the park. she has looked in to what can be done and this is what she has found. so i thought i would post it here just incase some1 eles needs it

this is what happend
http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/dartgravenews/display.var.595526.0.charity_in_doghouse.php

I am sending this to everyone - please send it on so people can have the information they need should they be unlucky enough to witness anything similar.

This info is only relevant if you live in the UK.

Last week I found myself in a horrid situation – I witness someone abuse their dog and couldn’t get any help at all.

I have since done some digging around and have found out that despite advice I received from the RSPCA and the police at the time it is actually a criminal offence to beat an animal.

Under the Protection of Animals Act 1911, Chapter 27, Section 1a if any person:

‘shall cruelly beat, kick, ill-treat, over-ride, over-drive, over-load, torture, infuriate, or terrify any animal, or shall cause or procure, or, being the owner, permit any animal to be so used, or shall, by wantonly or unreasonably doing or omitting to do any act, or causing or procuring the commission or omission of any act, cause any unnecessary suffering, or, being the owner, permit any unnecessary suffering to be so caused to any animal;’

‘such person shall be guilty of an offence of cruelty within the meaning of this Act, and [shall be liable on summary conviction to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale, or both].’

When I found this out I then phoned the police again to make sure that I understood the above correctly – that it IS a criminal act to beat an animal and that the police HAVE to deal with it.

I was told that under this act I could have phoned the police and if I had felt that the animals life was in danger I could have even phoned 999. The police explained that they have to prioritise calls and that their response time might not be what you would expect for ‘serious’ crime but as this man continued to walk his dog for another 40 odd minutes, the chances are that I could have got the police to the field, which would then have provided the RSPCA with the address that they need to get off their butts and do something about it.

Beccie

shonedek
12-05-2005, 10:53 PM
i think the terms the laws an ass comes to mindSorry for putting it that way.We have had many run in over police/RSPCA and i have no regard for either anymore.It is a crime but they will not deal with.
heres another one for you.a friend of mine has HAD to have her dog put to sleep because it bite someone in its own home.Its was actually stopping someone from breaking in the house at 3am in the morning.The person who was breaking in pressed charges for a dangerous dog.The police claimed the dog was not in proper control and he had to be put to sleep. Just where is the justice

Mags
12-05-2005, 10:56 PM
The poor animal comes off worse every time :(

Fran
12-05-2005, 10:57 PM
:shock: What's all that about Sam???? How unjust :(

Moli
12-05-2005, 10:59 PM
I reported someone to the sspca, for docking boxers tails when they were 5 weeks..The answer, buy a pup we need proof..The person is still breeding(^6 different Breeds)and gets her license renewed every year....

shonedek
12-05-2005, 11:05 PM
totally but thats the way the law is worded.
Animals seem to have no rights.
Did you also know that you are not allowed to have a sign that says dangerous dog,because your advertising the fact and should it bite someone you have no way of pleading inocence.
Did you also know that if you walk your dog in a field with sheep and its off the lead,the farmer has the law on his side to shot the dog INCASE it chases the sheep (not sure if that law still applies but it did a few years ago)
your animals just aint safe.Im waiting for the next thing which will be allowing your cats to go into someones elses garden to do there jobs.Just how can you stop cats from doing what is natural .It wont be long before you will get prosucuted for that