PDA

View Full Version : Graveyard Cottage

Elaine
12-09-2012, 07:13 PM
It's that time of year again when I am house sitting at Graveyard Cottage. I hate this one and have told them that I wont be able to do it again due to G's health, am cutting back.

The dog, a wee black schnauzer, is lovely and really no bother at all.
The house is bloody haunted though, am sure of it and Velvet the garden has the biggest slugs I have ever seen and loads of them.
Last night just before I was about to head upstairs to bed, there were footsteps up there so I delayed going up. Once up there and snug in bed, I heard doors closing downstairs. Honestly the place creeps me out.:shock:

Its a pretty little cottage in the sunlight.

It also doesnt help that I watch things like Ghost Hunters and Most Haunted I guess;)

angieh
12-09-2012, 08:50 PM
I can't really poo-poo these night-time noises because you know what you heard. I am very glad you won't be going there again.

BUT you've got a lovely little Schnauzer for company and if he's feeling chilled and relaxed then there is NO REASON why you shouldn't too. Animals pick up on things I am absolutely sure so if he's not distressed then there's nothing to worry about.

Elaine
12-09-2012, 08:53 PM
I think like that too Angie, Rayne is also there and doesnt react, but what if they just dont care and quite like seeing me scared witless:lol:

angieh
12-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Now, you know dogs aren't like that!

Moli
12-09-2012, 09:13 PM
I am sure the dogs would react...I know of a huge mansion house, according to neighbours , its haunted...the owners dogs will not cross the threashold..they sleep in the stables....

Shelley123
12-09-2012, 09:22 PM
i find the whole thing fascinating Elaine, but then i don't have to sleep there ;)
Why is it called graveyard cottage ?
Speaking of funny things i heard a cat cry last night, hope it was Jerry coming to visit.
I personaly would love to see a ghost, as long as it wasn't a scary type,lol

Moli
12-09-2012, 09:24 PM
i find the whole thing fascinating Elaine, but then i don't have to sleep there ;)
Why is it called graveyard cottage ?
Speaking of funny things i heard a cat cry last night, hope it was Jerry coming to visit.
I personaly would love to see a ghost, as long as it wasn't a scary type,lol
Because its next to a graveyard...:)

Kim
12-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Omg - a cottage called Graveyard cottage!! :o how creepy! Just don't watch Woman in Black while you are there ;) x

Kazz
12-09-2012, 09:35 PM
I think your imagination is working overtime there Elaine.

I am sure even if the resident dog was used to Ghosts Rayne would, why not leave the radio or TV on while you sleep.

Shelley I wonder if it was Jerry...lovely thought. It brought to mind an incident I had a few years ago found the thread this is it? http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=15081&page=2&highlight=ghost+cat

What do you think.

Kazz
12-09-2012, 09:36 PM
Omg - a cottage called Graveyard cottage!! :o how creepy! Just don't watch Woman in Black while you are there ;) x

I think its a brilliant idea the neighbours are so quiet:-D

Kazz
12-09-2012, 09:42 PM

I think its a brilliant idea the neighbours are so quiet:-D

Shelley123
12-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the info Moli, i thought that must be the reason.
A friend of mine has bought an old church in Cornwall and they will have a graveyard as a garden.
Karen i love the story, i'm sure the couple must have seen Cleo, why else would they say they had seen two cats.
When my parents lost their cat Jade , they went on holiday and when they came back they heard her cry as they opened the door.

alexgirl73
12-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Well, even if the place is haunted, and I don't discount these things, they are obviously nice ghosts as the dogs don't bother with them :lol. Now if the pooches were scared and refusing to enter rooms, my bags would already be packed :p

Velvet
13-09-2012, 05:14 AM
Now never thought of slugs & hauntings being connected - salt is very effective for slugs as ive discovered. We have a graveyard about 10 houses away! You are maybe empathetic towards the spirits in the vicinity :)

angieh
13-09-2012, 02:21 PM
It seems to be well known that salt protects against evil spirits - just Google! Seems that sea salt is a bit better than table salt :lol: :lol: :lol:

Velvet
13-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Theres the answer - spread layer on all door steps in & outside the house x

cats' staff
13-09-2012, 03:30 PM
It will just be floorboards creaking and settling as the house cools down. Archaeologists don't believe in ghosts. My first dig was a medieval grange and we were camping on site. Midnight loo runs became impossible if you believed in ghosts as several skeletons had been found. You could tell those who were spooked by the dawn charge to the portaloos. I'm pretty sure that if ghosts existed one of them would have tapped me on the shoulder to remonstrate about my excavation of them!

Kazz
13-09-2012, 04:04 PM
It will just be floorboards creaking and settling as the house cools down. Archaeologists don't believe in ghosts. My first dig was a medieval grange and we were camping on site. Midnight loo runs became impossible if you believed in ghosts as several skeletons had been found. You could tell those who were spooked by the dawn charge to the portaloos. I'm pretty sure that if ghosts existed one of them would have tapped me on the shoulder to remonstrate about my excavation of them!

Maybe they wanted to be excavated........:-D

Velvet
13-09-2012, 11:24 PM

Maybe you had plenty of salt with you :-D

Elaine
15-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Am all alone there now, all the neighbours have gone down to Fyfe:shock:
They left yesterday, the night was uneventful noise wise but today Rayne was barking uncontrollably in the hall:shock:

lynz85
15-09-2012, 08:41 PM
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! whats that behind you!??

Shelley123
15-09-2012, 09:06 PM
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh! whats that behind you!??

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Elaine
15-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Now stop it you two or I wont play any more;)

Shelley123
15-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Boo !!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Elaine
15-09-2012, 09:09 PM
I'm taking my toys with me, I mean it:lol:

Shelley123
15-09-2012, 09:11 PM
I'm taking my toys with me, I mean it:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

angieh
15-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Where's that salt???

lynz85
15-09-2012, 11:16 PM
:shock: shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! whats that noise!!!

Velvet
15-09-2012, 11:36 PM
I have the salt, bought extra special big bag in Sainsburys yesterday for my war on slugs :)

angieh
16-09-2012, 10:24 AM
ummmm Velvet - how are you going to get your salt over to Elaine????

(Now when are they going to invent the transmat beam???)

Elaine
17-09-2012, 07:13 PM
You can all take the piss as much as you like but I tell you something is NOT right at Graveyard Cottage.

Last night Rayne did have two barking fits, one in the corner of the lounge, nothing there. And one by the graveyard wall and I wasnt going to attempt to navigate my way through the bloody slugs to see if there was anything there:roll:
Doors bang when I am upstairs in bed and the last few nights there have been shuffling noises too.

Shelley123
17-09-2012, 07:16 PM
To be honest Elaine, you are very brave to still be there. If it were me by myself i'd be gone by now. Do you know anything about the history of the cottage and have the owners ever said anything ?

Kazz
17-09-2012, 07:46 PM
To be honest Elaine, you are very brave to still be there. If it were me by myself i'd be gone by now. Do you know anything about the history of the cottage and have the owners ever said anything ?

What she said :-D

How much longer are you there for? I would not look into the history of the cottage until you are home if I were you and not at all if you are planning on going back. Sometimes ignorance is bliss

Elaine
17-09-2012, 08:17 PM
Not going back, there till the weekend, where would I find the history of the place?
First time I was there I jokingly mentioned to the owners but they didnt give any feed back.

angieh
18-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Yes, you are a brave lass Elaine - I think we were trying to keep the whole thing light-hearted, rather than taking the piss.

If you really want to know if the place has history I think your first stop should be the local history section of your library. Try and find a librarian with good local knowledge who could point you in the right direction. I think there must be something, quite apart from the things you've heard because otherwise why would the owners have blanked it? They don't want to lose you!

Kazz
18-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Or if there is name to the place the put it in "google"

Kim
19-09-2012, 12:00 AM
To be honest Elaine, you are far braver than me too, no way would I spend a night there!

Elaine
19-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Tried google but nothing came up. I am not brave just bloody stupid and hungry for money:lol: .
Rayne now growls at the front door which freaks me out every time. Last night while I was just drifting off to sleep, I heard a scratching noise downstairs, which could easily have been Molly (the dog) but then a door slammed 3 times in quick succession. I quickly put as many lights on as I could and went down stairs to find everything as I'd left it.
Went back to bed, made Rayne come into bed with me and I hugged her till I fell asleep.

angieh
20-09-2012, 12:31 PM
I know that you need the money Elaine but seriously, I wouldn't go back there for all the tea in China. Rayne doesn't like it, you don't - I'd be demanding a big bonus for going there.