PDA

View Full Version : Cat Claws

mellisamay123
04-07-2012, 03:30 PM
hi, i have got a cat and the problem i have is they keep scratching and damaging my furniture. I recently bought a scratch post but it seems it isnt working. Can someone tell me any other ways to get them to stop damaging my furniture?

MrsH
04-07-2012, 03:42 PM
Hello and welcome to Catsey :smt039

I have an ongoing problem with my cats clawing the stair carpet (parts of it look like fuzzy velcro now :evil: ) the only thing I can do to stop them is to clip just the very end off their claws but it can be a dangerous activity (they fight back ;) ). I have to swoop in when they're not expecting me and do a couple of claws at a time and come back and do a few more another time.

You could try rubbing catnip toys on the scatching post to attract them perhaps :smt102

Elaine
04-07-2012, 07:58 PM
I am sorry if this sounds a wee bit harsh but cats have had sharp claws for centuries, if people dont want an animal who may scratch then perhaps a goldfish would have been a better choice....
Just so as I dont sound like a right cow, here are a few links for you.

http://www.celiahaddon.co.uk/pet%20problems/cats/scratching.html

http://www.fabcats.org/behaviour/scratching/article.html

http://youloveyourcat.com/stop-cats-scratching-furniture/

pamela81
05-07-2012, 07:23 PM
one of my cats did that when we first got him. when he started scratching the furniture, we gently lifted him and put his paws against the scratchpost and moved his paws up and down to try show him what to do. he now only uses the scratchpost but it took alot of time and effort!! not sure if what we did was the reason he stopped but it certainly helped!

Miranda Luck
06-07-2012, 01:49 PM
I've always done the same as Pamela mentions above and it always seems to work! :)

mellisamay123
11-07-2012, 12:53 PM
thank you everyone for your comments but i found a company called [Mod edit] that provide glue on claws and they are working brilliantly, also they do different colours :)

Annestaff
11-07-2012, 03:53 PM
thank you everyone for your comments but i found a company called [Mod edit] that provide glue on claws and they are working brilliantly, also they do different colours :)

Have you bought some for your Pug too? :roll:

Elaine
11-07-2012, 05:50 PM

I certainly wouldnt be using glue on my pets claws, long teerm use must surely damage the nail. I know a woman who used to get false nails applied regularly and it really damaged her nailbed.

Kim
11-07-2012, 09:15 PM
I agree with you wholeheartedly Elaine. Cats scratch, it is annoying, but that's what they do. Thankfully mine use their scratching post. I would definitely NOT use glue on my cats claws either :shock:

atracattus
11-07-2012, 10:57 PM
I find the size of the scratching post makes a difference as to whether the cats use it or not. My cats have always prefered large posts that they can stretch out against when scratching. The kind of post which has a good five feet in hight with extra levels for climbing on seem to work best. It becomes more than a scratching post, it becomes a play item, exercises the cat, and is a wonderful perch/getaway place to stay out of reach of unruly kids or dogs! ;)

Moli
11-07-2012, 11:01 PM
I am sorry, but think its cruel to use these things...Cats are supposed to have sharp claws....:roll:

Elaine
12-07-2012, 04:44 PM
Have you bought some for your Pug too? :roll:

Does the pug claw the furnature too?

Annestaff
12-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Does the pug claw the furnature too?

Yep, but not to worry stick on psychedelic claws to the rescue :-D

Elaine
12-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Yep, but not to worry stick on psychedelic claws to the rescue :-D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

atracattus
12-07-2012, 11:47 PM
I remember reading about these false claws when they first came out. They were a response to the abhorrent practise of de-clawing in the US, and were seen as a new dawn so to speak. It's much better to use them instead of de-clawing, but still not absolutely necessary.

The way I see it, is if using them causes your cat distress or frustration, don't use them. But if your cat doesn't care and has a habit of destroying every man-made fabric in existence then they could be a godsend. Personally I would rather trim the claws of one of my cats as it doesn't inhibit the shedding process the way false claws can apparently do.

My big fatty Felix has never been able to fully retract his claws, and as a result we do trim them once a month. It prevents him from getting stuck on everything, and helps reduce damage to our clothing, bedding, carpet, sofa etc etc... Thankfully he doesn't mind as long as he gets treats. He is a very placid laid back kinda guy.

veganbee
31-07-2012, 04:46 PM
I really can't condone you using those awful plastic claws on your cat, poor thing!!

But I had a similar problem with my old boy last year, and I lived in furnished rented accommodation so I purchased some Sticky Paws strips from Pet Planet (double sided sticky to stick to problem areas on the sofa, without leaving a mark when you remove) and they stopped him scratching the sofa. Much nicer than forcibly attaching plastic to your kitty's feet with toxic glue
xx