PDA

View Full Version : WARNING - PayPal Scam

Velvet
12-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Received an email from "Paypal" saying that £43.85 had been taken out of my Paypal account for SkypeoNl quarterly subscription. *It gave details at the bottom of the email where to contact if I had not authorised payment - I admit I was stupid and clicked on the link which took me to my paypal account and I signed on - no such payment had been made.

Immediately it dawned on me that it was probably a scam to get my details. I signed out of PayPal and went into my my paypal account through eBay and changed my password. *

The blessing is I had / have very little in my PayPal account, am in process of transferring money from the bank at present - this takes 5-7 days. *I never keep much in Paypal or in this particular Bank Account which, is a blessing.*

Just a warning for others to beware. *You get peace from these types of emails for a while and then they start again & take you unawares :(

angieh
12-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the warning Velvet. I had a spate of getting fraudulent emails pretending to be from PayPal - I usually forward them to spoof@paypal and generally get an automated acknowledgement back that yes, they are spam. Once though, I thought I had a spam email saying my account had been restricted, did nothing about it and it was right! The only trouble was when I tried to use the account to pay for something it was refused, so I had to log in and do what needed to be done. All fine again afterwards.

Just started getting a little cluster of fraud emails from wonga.com - don't have an account with them so know it's a fraud, but I forwarded an email to wonga just to let them know. Had a pleasant response saying they are aware of fraud in their name.

lynz85
12-04-2012, 07:27 PM
thanks for the heads up, i usually hover over the link and it'l show you the address that the link is for. i always open a new page and go to paypal that way. i get a lot from 'halifax' saying verify my account blah blah, i dont even have an account with them!