PDA

View Full Version : Manx cat Monday

Shelley123
19-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Thought i'd start another theme off.
Grey day here today but managed a nice dog walk, quite tricky taking the two out at once as they both need a lot of input to heel.
Cleaning up day today for me, no dog show tonight :(
Ah well, onwards and upwards

angieh
19-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Morning Shelley - a bit of grey and blue here. OH has gone for a dental appointment, just a check up and then he's going to pop in and see his mum. Monty had a shorter walk this morning and hopefully we'll both take him later if the weather holds up. I have an asthma check with the nurse this afternoon and will have a word with her about my rash, which is still coming and going. My feet were quite bad yesterday. Seems to be affected by any change in temperature and wind/cold makes it bad, my ears/face go red and itchy in the wind which is embarrassing.

Hope Kwame's KC is better - how long do you have to wait before you can be sure it's gone and that Malaika is not likely to get it? Shame about the dog show though - but there will be others I'm sure.

Hope all have a good day.

(PS. Great Theme!)

Shelley123
19-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Hi Angie,
hope your other halfs dental appointment goes well and your asthma appointment this afternoon and you get some help with your rash.
I have a dental appointment wednesday due to me missing the one last week, you may remember i forgot how to tell the time and lost an hour.
Kwame is much better thank you, just the odd cough under his breath now, going to stop the benyln today and just carry on with the honey for both dogs. Once symptoms disapear the vet said to wait 10 days before mixing again. I think the incubation period is from 5 to 10 days ish, nearly a week now so fingers crossed.
Glad you like the theme

Kazz
19-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Morning all well its afternoon now. ;) Late start today as I am back at work this evening, kinda looking forward to it.
I did not know Kwame had KC. I watched someone walking two CKCS ust the other day and he was getting tangled too.
Angie whats this about rash? I appear to have missed loads, hope you get a solution or a reduction.

I have to pop out for a bit then back, having bacon, fried egg, fresh cooked tom, mushrooms and chips for dinner before work.

MrsH
19-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi all! Are you using Manuka honey for the KC Shelley? I know a lot of people swear by it.

Hope you get some answers about the rash Angie and that OH's dental visit went well. That reminds me I've got a dental check-up this week too.

Today we finally got the shower fixed (fingers crossed!) they fitted a complete new unit and are sending ours back to the manufacturer for them to find out why it failed. Our plumber says that ours is the only one to cause them such problems, hmmm! pinch of salt required! Anyway the unit they replaced was the 2009 model and now we've got a 2011 one, so I reckon there was a known fault in there all along! Cynical? moi?

A big surprise in the post today, the pet insurance premium for next year is the same as this year :shock: no increase at all :shock::shock: I've got a nasty feeling they've made a mistake and we'll be getting another letter from them soon :? It's not cheap this insurance lark is it? £68.72 a month for 2 cats and 1 dog (Healthy Pets "Gold" cover) But I see that the excess for the cats (now 6 years old) is now £75+25%.

Enjoy the rest of your Monday!

Shelley123
19-09-2011, 01:01 PM
MrsH, glad your shower is fixed, at least you have the latest one now.
I am using just ordinary honey for the dogs, Kwame has only realy had one bad day and is recovering well. Just heard a bit of a cough and was sad to note it was Malaika, maybe just clearing her throat, maybe not. Will have to ring and check how Reuben my parents dog is......

MrsH
19-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Just heard a bit of a cough and was sad to note it was Malaika, maybe just clearing her throat, maybe not.

Oh No! I do hope Malaika just had a little frog in throat moment there and hasn't caught the KC.

Shelley123
19-09-2011, 01:23 PM
update on Malaika, yes she has it. Just given her some Benyln, had to mix it with honey before she would take it.
Reuben ok at the moment

angieh
19-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Oh no -poor Malaika - hope she recovers very quickly.

Shelley123
19-09-2011, 02:03 PM
thanks Angie

MrsH
19-09-2011, 02:49 PM
What a shame she has it too. Spotted really early though so fingers crossed it's not a heavy attack.

Squirrel
19-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Sorry to hear about Malaika developing CC. :(

Reasonable day being had here. Home early from work as I finished at 2pm. Nice! :) I have a conference from Thurs evening to Sat evening next weekend, so am hoping to take next Monday off...

Only bad point of the day was when I managed to knock a butter knife off of the kitchen counter while making a cup of tea this morning. knife managed to slice the bottom part of my nail, and caused rather a lot of blood about the place... Landed up being a case of wrapping some gauze around it, and using the micropore tape from the animal first aid kit I got for Cloud... It seems to have stopped bleeding, as long as I don't poke at it, and I think it seems healthy enough, though am going to have to be careful with it for the next little while I think... Will double check with parents this evening, but think I might just about have avoided a&e... would have to be paper stitches if they did anything beyond antib type stuff anyway, and I'm not sure that it's really big enough to warrant that!

Catch you all later!

dandysmom
19-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Hi people; still gloomy and unseasonable here, haven't seen the sun in days. The persistent East wind is hanging tough. A quarter past 10 and only 17 C (63 F); well at least it's not raining! No news; have ordered a lot of stuff from Amazon (honestly, is there anything you can't buy there?!) that will be coming this week.

Ouch, Squirrel, that was nasty! Keep an eye on it. Shelley, sorry Malaika has KC now; hope you caught it in time; I like the Daily theme too. MrsH, I agree that's rather suspicious about the shower head, how's the new one working? Angie, sorry that persistent rash is still bothering you, and the feet too (((hugs))). Kazz, sounds a lovely dinner, but I'd have the egg scrambled; don't like fried! Enjoy work tonight.

Hope all goes well for everyone today! :D

Shelley123
19-09-2011, 03:36 PM
Brrrrrr sounds cold Eileen, what have you ordered from amazon ?
Katy i hope your foot is ok, good job the knife didn't land on Cloud. I've done the same with knives but fortunately they have always just stuck in the floor

dandysmom
19-09-2011, 04:21 PM
An odd miscellaney, Shelley: a pair of potholders and a thermometer (those are things I forgot to bring when I moved) a pair of grey sweatpants and a half case of my favorite Bloody Mary mix that's no longer available locally.

Remember way back when when Amazon sold ....... books?! :mrgreen:

MrsH
19-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Goodness Squirrel, the damage a butter knife can cause, hope you're ok!

Been to the vets and asked him to check Morgan's anal glands while he was there for his booster, they were as I suspected very full poor boy :( He's not wheat intolerant fortunately so I think I'll bake him some nice wholemeal biscuits instead of the rice-based ones he's been having lately so he gets more fibre in his diet. It's the first time he's had a problem down there.

Eileen, talking about Amazon, I've just ordered some urine analysis test strips for Morgan so we can monitor his bladder health easily at home. They were much, much cheaper than buying them at the vet's or the chemist's. As you say, is there anything you can't get at Amazon?

Haven't tried out the shower personally yet ;) but it worked when he tested it!

angieh
19-09-2011, 04:30 PM
I am back from my appointment - which turned out to be a non-appointment, because I'd been booked in for an asthma check when I need a pulmonary check - so re-booked for 27th Sept for spirometry - which I don't like much! Bonus though, got my flu jab! Talked to the nurse about my rash - she said she's usually good at rashes but as it was a wasp that probably triggered it, I need to see a doctor! So another appointment booked for this Thursday at 8.50a.m. - only just about eyes opened time! May be good though because the rash always seems worst first thing in the morning before I've taken my antihistamine tablet.

So, mixed blessings.

OH has taken Monty out on his own because it's getting colder here and the wind has got up. I've stayed at home and have a nice cup of tea!

Sorry to hear about the butter knife Squirrel - do you mean it landed on one of your toes??? Wherever it landed, OUCH!

Shelley123
19-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Eileen, it's amazing what you can get at amazon isn't it. I've had books, music, garden netting and trainers,lol
Angie glad you have an appointment to hopefuly give you some answers re your rash

Shelley123
19-09-2011, 05:18 PM
MrsH,
poor Morgan, bet he feels better now

dandysmom
19-09-2011, 05:50 PM
The thing I like about Amazon, as well as the excellent variety, is that their prices are competitive and that with the Amazon Prime there are no shipping charges for most purchases, making them a good deal! And you cannot beat the 2 day delivery.

Angie, hope the rash can be sorted, good luck! Yes, poor Morgan .....

lynz85
19-09-2011, 06:04 PM
evening all, sorry to hear that malaika has KC shelley! ouch squirrel, glad not much damage done.

nice day here, sun was out for a bit its just started cooling down now, got the windows open again today. went into town and got a lap tray for the laptop and a camera case, had argos vouchers so just used them. then got enough shopping to do until payday, thats the bank account empty!
going to make some chicken and rice soup for lunches this week later on :)

dandysmom
19-09-2011, 07:58 PM
I've been thinking about Squirrel being cut by her butter knife; that seems odd as butter knives are rounded, not blunt; at least here, anyway. Maybe this is another UK/US difference? I've learned so much on here....:D Anyhow, here's a pic of my butter knife, next to a fork for size comparison, and you can see it has no cutting edge at all. Sorry, the silver needs polishing, although the brownish bit is reflection, not tarnish!! :oops:

http://www.catsey.com/http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN1664.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN1664.jpg

Shelley123
19-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Eileen, traditionaly butter knives are rounded.
We don't have a butter knife, i just use an ordinary knife that we use with our meals. The knives that i have dropped have tended to sharp knives for peeling veg.
Like you i'm interested in the differences in our countries and language. One i'm thinking of is Purse, i think your purses are actual bags wearas a purse is just for money and cards here

dandysmom
19-09-2011, 08:37 PM
You're right, Shelley, a purse is for as much as you want to/can cram in, not just wallet/cards/keys.

I use a vegetable peeler, a double bladed swiveling thingy; no sharp point.

http://www.organizeit.com/images/swivel-peeler.jpg

The differences are interesting, aren't they?:D

Squirrel
20-09-2011, 08:41 AM
Hi both... Toe is getting there slowly, though I had to wear dressing over night, cause it bled if it rubbed against anything...

Yes Eileen, butter knife very similar to that. Not sharp and pointy, but blunt, fairly rounded, and bendy metal!!! I called it a bread knife to the first person, then realised that was generally, sharp, serrated, and used for chopping bread. Wrong thing altogether! I'm guessing it was just the height... As for my having butter knife... someone gave them to me when I moved into the flat...

Peeler - I'd use similar to that blade wise, and many people over here would use just that kind, but I first 'met' that kind in school. Far easier to use this kind:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/squirrela/potatopeeler.jpg

dandysmom
20-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks, Squirrel; I've never seen a peeler like that; I do enjoy seeing the differences in the things we use.

How is the toe this morning? Hope it's not too painful.

Squirrel
20-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Toe is doing alright I think thanks Eileen. It's now stopped bleeding for every tiny little thing, but will still do so a bit for unusual positions. I crouched in the office this morning and ouch! It also doesn't like it too much if I walk too far, but... *shrugs* It's going to have to live with that one.

No need for pain killers, it's not that bad thank goodness. :)

dandysmom
20-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Glad to hear that! :D