PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Whip Saturday

Kazz
23-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Morning all

Been up a while and already taken Sal out and had breakfast - well toast marmite and coffee.:-D

Hope everyone is okay this beautiful Saturday morning.Not sure what I am going to do.......maybe a bit of weeding and maybe replant the to planters byt the front door. Maybe even have a go at the wallpaper stripping...........:roll:

So whats everyone doing today?????????

Squirrel
23-07-2011, 09:06 AM
You're up early Kazz! :)

Lovely sunny day here - just as well too! I'm taking a friend to St Andrews later on, plus tent, where she's going to camp for a week! I'm not too sure quite how the day will pan out after that. I have been invited to stay in her tent with her a few nights - she's taking another friend for the first few days, but I've an invite to stay over Sun-Mon cause I'll be taking the friend back to the train station in Kdy for midday on Mon - not sure I'll take her up on that one. I will be staying with her on Thurs evening though, and possibly Fri as well - depending on when she wants to go home. The conference she's going for finishes on the Friday night, so we could pack up late Fri aft and I take her home then, or could stay over Sat (which I think she wants to do) and take her home then. Will see how it all works out...

pamela81
23-07-2011, 11:02 AM
morning Kazz and Squirrel.

Camping sounds good Squirrel!! Iam just getting the sites im going to in august booked at the mo aswell :) St Andrews is lovely aswell.
Kazz sounds like you are organised today!!!! Hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

We are going ot look at a cattery today for august and then hopefully going to the new riverside museum today and then to my sisters as she is having a few folk over for her birthday. Bit of a busy day with things to do inbetween the above mentioned!!!

Hope everyone has a great day :)

MrsH
23-07-2011, 12:09 PM
I've got my new breadmaker chugging away, I'll let you know the result later on!

I'm also trying to absorb the dreadful toll from yesterday's frightening events in Norway, absolutely horrific in what is a open, relaxed and peaceful country. So hard to believe that just 1 person is responsible for all that death and destruction :cry:

Got ironing to do this afternoon but first I'll be watching the qualification for the grand prix on tv.

Have a good Saturday everyone.

PoshPuss
23-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Hi folks, I'm having another quiet day of rest but have plans to go out this evening to my aunt & uncle's golden wedding 'do'.
The stomach cramps have gone and I've eaten breakfast and feel ok. :)

The weather has turned more pleasant and Posh is lying in the sun under the perspex roof of the conservatory/utility room. Agree about the Oslo tragedies, how terrible for the Norwegian nation and my heart goes out to the victims & families. A peaceful people, why? :(

Have a good day doing what you want to do, see you later x

dandysmom
23-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Greetings from hot Washington: we made 38 C (102 F) yesterday, a 30 year record! Not as warm today, only 31 C (87 F) now about half past 10. Got my mail and grass for Leia; waiting for a visit this afternoon from a tech guy who's going to help me with some things I can't seem to fix with this new computer.

Thank all for the good vibes for Chris: got this e-mail:

"i was in ( and out like a light ) the chair for two hours - very sore and swollen face - three teeth out - came home and slept til 600 then up til midnight - just up now."

Kazz, do you never just sit down and read or watch a movie? Squirrel, camping out in a tent doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me.... Pamela, hope the cattery seems like a good one; MrsH, the bread sounds good, but not the ironing! PP, glad you're feeling better.

Take care, enjoy the day.

angieh
23-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Hi all - having a nice cuppa and catch up here! Was lovely earlier but has clouded over yet again, although no rain today yet and it's quite warm - but only 18C (64F) so nowhere near Eileen's temperatures. I have given my tomatoes their dose of liquid fertiliser this morning and side-shooted them, chopped off some of the lower leaves to increase ventilation and stopped the Marzano which have reached the eaves of the greenhouse - only 4 trusses, but I am not ever so hopeful that all will ripen unless we get some good sunny warm weather in the next month.

OH and I took Master M Bogle for his walk - he does wind OH up with his barking and whinging - I think I am immune to it now, but his squealing goes right through you. This time next week he will only be in his undies as I had a call from the groomer's yesterday to bring his appointment forward. Will look as if we have a new pup, but it will be lil'Monty with a new haircut. Will take loads of before and after photos!

Hope all have a good day. What's for supper? We have home made lasagne and home grown runner beans. :D

MrsH
23-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Well, the bread turned out well, looks good anyway, haven't tasted it yet. I think we'll have a light meal tonight as we had a large spaghetti lunch. Soup and fresh homemade bread, followed by cheeseboard (so nice to be able to eat cheese again :-D) might have a glass of port with it too!

Enjoy your lasagne Angie.

Eileen I think I would have melted in DC yesterday with those temperatures. I've been in Paris when it's been about 32C, thought I'd die!

dandysmom
23-07-2011, 04:28 PM
Having Chinese tonight, Angie, hot and sour soup (from my last order-in, got an extra for the freezer) and pork potstickers with two dipping sauces! I like to make wasabi although it's not traditional, as well as the usual soy/vinegar/sugar/hot oil/scallion sauce.

dandysmom
23-07-2011, 04:31 PM
Well, the bread turned out well, looks good anyway, haven't tasted it yet. I think we'll have a light meal tonight as we had a large spaghetti lunch. Soup and fresh homemade bread, followed by cheeseboard (so nice to be able to eat cheese again :-D) might have a glass of port with it too!

Enjoy your lasagne Angie.

Eileen I think I would have melted in DC yesterday with those temperatures. I've been in Paris when it's been about 32C, thought I'd die!LOL, it's all what you're used to! Although I do admit I have a high heat tolerance, perhaps from being born and raised here; there was no one on the roof deck yesterday afternoon when I went up to dry my hair in the sun! :-D

Kazz
23-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Sounds as if you are enjoying life there Eileen, have you found any fellow cat/alchol/plant/sun bathing/book reading neighbours yet.

And yes I do sit and read a book, watch a film whatever .

dandysmom
23-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Sounds as if you are enjoying life there Eileen, have you found any fellow cat/alchol/plant/sun bathing/book reading neighbours yet.

And yes I do sit and read a book, watch a film whatever .Not yet, Kazz, but in the recycling closet this morning I spied an empty jug of clumping cat litter! So there's another feline on the 5th floor.:D Yes, I am enjoying myself; haven't met anyone in the library yet, but it's early days...

Tink
23-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Hello, all. Long time no talk.
Sorry for not posting much, just been kind of busy and mentally preoccupied.
It's sunny today. We've been lucky so far as our heat has not gone over 75 degrees this summer so it's very comfortable unless you're doing hard labor.
Would like to go out in the sun today. We had thunderstorms and rain this week and sun only joined us yesterday.
K has been poorly but he had a very, very long sleeping period so maybe he will want to get some fresh air today, that would be nice for both of us! Not sure what to do though.
Hope you all are well, much love to Catsey kitties.

Squirrel
23-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Hello again all. I'm not long home from the camp site dump run...

Must admit Eileen, it not my favourite thing ever, though I've agreed to go overnight Thurs/Fri. I'll enjoy it for the time away with friends though. Very glad to be in my own little home again now.

Next thoguht - food. Being it almost 8pm, am thinking beans on toast - as nice and simple!!!

Nice to see you there Tink.

Shelley123
23-07-2011, 07:54 PM
late check in for me.
Carboot this morning, set off at 6.30 so i could be back for training. All that effort and i only came back with a little Dam Troll, still at least i didn't come back with a woodpidgeon this time.
Took Kwame training and he did realy well, probably best in the class for certain things.
An hour later it was Malaika's turn, she had the sillies and poor Howard got all hot and bothered.
Recently we have moved the garden furniture around and added some. I sat out the rest of the afternoon reading in the sun. It was nice to just relax and enjoy the garden.

Kazz
23-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Not yet, Kazz, but in the recycling closet this morning I spied an empty jug of clumping cat litter! So there's another feline on the 5th floor.:D Yes, I am enjoying myself; haven't met anyone in the library yet, but it's early days...

Maybe you should pop cards through the doors on the 5th floor and ask them in for a drink? or ask them to meet up on the roof for a drink? Go on woman take the initative:-D .

dandysmom
23-07-2011, 09:13 PM
That's not me; I'm a quiet sort of person, never interacted much with neighbors. Not unfriendly, just not really big on socializing, although I was always friendly and helpful if needed. I always enjoyed the block parties, but not one for dropping in or having people drop in on me except for special friends like Jim. A bit of a loner, really, typical bookish introvert.

Tink
23-07-2011, 10:01 PM
That's not me; I'm a quiet sort of person, never interacted much with neighbors. Not unfriendly, just not really big on socializing, although I was always friendly and helpful if needed. I always enjoyed the block parties, but not one for dropping in or having people drop in on me except for special friends like Jim. A bit of a loner, really, typical bookish introvert.

You just described me to a tee, Eileen:-D

dandysmom
23-07-2011, 10:05 PM
You just described me to a tee, Eileen:-D

Hey, Tink, sisters under the skin! :D No wonder we like one another.

Squirrel
24-07-2011, 08:54 AM
In some ways I'm pretty similar. Once I'm home, and don't have to go out again, I like to close the door and be in my own little space. Having others almost 'invade' that space is pretty uncomfortable, when it's anyone but the closest of friends. OK if prearranged, but otherwise...

angieh
24-07-2011, 11:16 AM
I'm the same - hubby and close friends are fine, but I am not a particularly sociable person, I am comfortable in my own company and certainly not a party-goer. Comes of being an only child in my case I believe.

dandysmom
24-07-2011, 03:07 PM
That well could be, Angie; I'm an only child too. Also, my parents didn't entertain a lot or have people dropping in frequently; sure that's part of it too.

dandysmom
24-07-2011, 03:09 PM
In some ways I'm pretty similar. Once I'm home, and don't have to go out again, I like to close the door and be in my own little space. Having others almost 'invade' that space is pretty uncomfortable, when it's anyone but the closest of friends. OK if prearranged, but otherwise...

Same here, Squirrel.

Tink
24-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Hmm I'm an only child too...that theory may be true!

angieh
24-07-2011, 08:05 PM
That well could be, Angie; I'm an only child too. Also, my parents didn't entertain a lot or have people dropping in frequently; sure that's part of it too.

That's interesting about your parents Eileen. My Mum was a particularly sociable woman and loved company. She was one of six children. My Dad was a much more private person - his best friend was one of his brothers - he was one of eleven children. Not sure it always follows, but it takes all sorts ....

dandysmom
24-07-2011, 08:18 PM
My Mom was quite gregarious; I suspect we'd have entertained more if it had been up to her; she was like Kazz who said a stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet. She talked to strangers on the bus, the market, etc! My Dad was the quiet one, one of six Irish Catholic brothers and sisters.And I'm pretty much a clone of my Dad .......even down to the limp thinning but non-greying hair and the quirk in my left eyebrow.

Squirrel
24-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Mmmmm - I've got a brother, so it's not the only child syndrome in my case!!! ;)

dandysmom
24-07-2011, 08:22 PM
No, not always, my and Angie's Dads weren't only children either .......

pamela81
24-07-2011, 08:47 PM
I'm the same - hubby and close friends are fine, but I am not a particularly sociable person, I am comfortable in my own company and certainly not a party-goer. Comes of being an only child in my case I believe.

im very similar angie eventhough i have an older sibling. I prefer to just be in family company, on my own or with Steven. Always have enjoyed my own company to the extend that i used to go campoing myself for a couple of nights and then i was in spain myself for 2weeks when i was 22 aswell

dandysmom
24-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Back when I was young and didn't realize how much I disliked traveling I went places by myself: twice to New York and once to the beach at Cape May; I've always been comfortable in my own company.

Squirrel
25-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Now that's the one place I benefit from having others around - I don't really have the confidence to go away by myself all that often. I occasionally manage it, but... I'm missing a wedding at the end of Aug that I'd have loved to go to, were it not something I needed to arrange to go somewhere new (down south) on my own...

angieh
25-07-2011, 01:15 PM
I've never been brave enough to go holidaying on my own! I do rather like sharing those sort of experiences with a friend. I think watching a beautiful sunset on one's own is splendid, but I would rather be able to share it, and the memory, with someone else.

Squirrel
25-07-2011, 01:37 PM
tbh, I think the only times I've gone away by myself Angie, it's been to go and stay with a friend for a few days. Even the only time I've been to stay in a hotel myself it was to meet another friend actually at the hotel, and to spend some time with someone else who actually lived in the area!

dandysmom
25-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Odd, that doesn't bother me at all; I must be more of a loner than I think. Both times I went to New York I had a hotel room, and the same at Cape May; dined out by myself also.

Squirrel
25-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Aaaah! I think it's just that I lack confidence in these things, and would far rather just stay home on my own, rather than go out!!!

Kazz
25-07-2011, 04:29 PM
For a person who likes peole I love holidaying alone and not having to "fit in with plans" I love to do things I want to do so maybe thats selfish...........but true.

dandysmom
25-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Kazz has hit on a good point: going by myself I can do what I want when I want; yes, probably selfish but true. What an interesting direction this thread has taken, we are all so different.

angieh
25-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Yes, it is interesting. Squirrel got me thinking about holidaying and although as I said I have never actually holidayed alone, I have travelled alone in order to holiday with friends. My first plane trip was on my own to Edinburgh when I went to stay with a friend who was at St. Andrew's uni. (No, not Kate nor Wills!!!) I've also done a coach journey on my own - but both trips were a long while ago.