PDA

View Full Version : Curly-Wurly Wednesday

angieh
20-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Not sure they still make these - sorry, I know it's not strictly a chocolate bar!!!

OH has gone off to do some attorney things for his mum and hopes to be back for taking Master Bogle out before it rains. A shorter walk today and we have puppy class this evening. Would welcome your good vibes as they certainly seemed to work last Wednesday!

OH is also going to collect the digital tablet that was ordered yesterday from PC World and will pop into P@H to make an appointment to get Monty microchipped. It is quite a lot cheaper than taking him to our vet which I think is a bit of a shame but I don't want to wait until we have him neutered.

Don't forget peeps - quiz is TOMORROW!

Have a good day - will be back later on.

Shelley123
20-07-2011, 11:05 AM
morning Angie and all to follow.
Good vibes for class coming your way :)
Need to make an appointment at the bank but it seems you can't ring localy now so i will have to ring central and press this and that button. It drives me nuts.

Shelley123
20-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Bingo, found the local telephone number on the internet. Can only get an appointment next friday.

PoshPuss
20-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Shelley I appreciate the problem you just can't speak to a person these days it is just press this and that , gets me mad!

I called BT to try and get a line removed but no sense at all, just got caught in a loop of number pressing- for Heaven's Sake!!!

I love curly-wurlies :) I had the last one in a selection box and it was much smaller than I remember, the real ones were longer and lasted a whole school break time :lol:

Raining pouring here, just returned from Tom's levaer;s assembly where his year group put on little sketches to entertain parents and their school mates. Very funny and emotional, they each told us of their favourite school memory. They were presented with their nursery school scrapbooks containing mementoes and their first letters and drawings, lovely.

After that, they sang the lovely Abba song 'Slipping through my fingers' - not a dry eye in the house.

Have a nice day folks, good luck to Monty for his chipping, and for puppy class tonight.

angieh
20-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Well, back from taking Monty - it poured all during our walk, persistently! Just having a late lunch and then I'll try and set up the Digital Tablet ...... hmmmmmmmmmmm!

Isn't it annoying when you can't actually speak to the branch you want to? OH did think about making an appointment with his mum's building society but in the end took a chance and as luck would have it, managed to get to see someone rather quickly this morning. Sorry you have to wait so long for your appointment Shelley.

How old is your Tom, PP? Is he just leaving junior school?

dandysmom
20-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Hi, all! Quite warm this morning, 30 C (85 F), hazy sun. The midwest heat wave is on it's way here, will be in the triple digits (F) by the weekend; a bit hot even for me. All quiet, just out for grass and to the downstairs library. Do you realize we've lost 5 minutes of evening daylight since the Solstice?

Good class vibes coming, Angie; glad you got the Tablet. I haven't adjusted to Thursday, was thinking this morning, "Oh good, quiz night", then I remembered :roll: I loathe phone trees, press this, press that; usually if I stay on long enough and give bad responses they will finally connect you to a rep. And when I did get thru to my bank finally they said I couldn't change my address except by going to the bank itself! Why on earth; makes no sense to me, but did. Bah!! Sympathy, Shelley! PP, sounds like a touching assembly indeed.

Hope all are well; Angie, did you ever hear from Calismum?

Squirrel
20-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Hi all...

Back from work, and looking at life through a haze again. Still, better than the cotton wool for brains I had yest.

Cold day here, but it did improve from this morning, which is something.

And I too am a fan of curly wurlys. Has been a long time since I had one though! I think they do still make them - got a packet last year or the one before I think...

Shelley123
20-07-2011, 03:52 PM
back from running a few errands and a dog walk.
It's realy quite tricky taking the pair of them together, i realy don't like it when they pull on the lead and you would think Malaika would know better ;)
Eileen, hope you managed to find some good books.
PP, Tom's assembly sounds as if it was very nice, if a little sad.
Kate, i agree Haze is better than cotton wool ;)

angieh
20-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Eileen - I didn't get a reply to my email from Calismum. I am hoping she's just on holiday.

Misspurrfect
20-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi all

Well, its wet and miserable weather here and I've h
had a hectic and stressful day at work and I'm sooo happy to be home relaxing.

Had a welcome rub and purr from George, totally ignored by Milly and a hug from my gorgeous hubby. How lucky can one person be?!!

Sending out some of my contented happy vibes to those who need them :-)

What happens with the Quiz? I've not done one yet and it sounds like a laugh.

PoshPuss
20-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Angie, Tom is in year 6, eleven years old at the moment , soon to be twelve on 6th Sept. He's going to the local comprehensive next term, so a big step. :)

dandysmom
20-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Do join us tomorrow at the quiz, Misspurrfect! It's a fun thing, open to all menbers. we have 10 general knowledge questions, winner gets to host the next quiz. It's anything but a fiercely competitive thing, just mainly for fun and a lot of chit chat and getting to know one another. Normally it's every Wednesday about 8:15 pm, but for several weeks it'll be Thursday, as one regular member has another commitment Wednesday. Sort of our own version of a pub quiz. Hope to see you tomorrow! :D

Misspurrfect
20-07-2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks dandysmom. I'll put my soaps on to record (I am Misspurrfect and I'm a soapaholic) and try out my general knowledge. I will warn you that I am a dumb blonde so you'll have to promise not to laugh ;-)

cats' staff
20-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Hi everyone, don't get me started on button pressing on phones or I may have to start on BT broadband 'help'.
A busy day delivering some training at Wrest Park. Got home to overflowing drain from the kitchen sink so I've had my hand down there trying to sort it. Not sure if I've succeeded so I'm off to google drain rods.......

dandysmom
20-07-2011, 08:49 PM
Thanks dandysmom. I'll put my soaps on to record (I am Misspurrfect and I'm a soapaholic) and try out my general knowledge. I will warn you that I am a dumb blonde so you'll have to promise not to laugh ;-)

Wouldn't think of it! Look forward to seeing you tomorrow then, click on the All New Posts as the thread will appear in the Games section. The scoring is: 3 points for the first correct answer, 2 for the second, i for the third. No Googling, but piggybacking on someone else's answer is OK.

Shelley123
20-07-2011, 09:08 PM
yes it would be lovely to see you at the quiz, MP.
As Eileen says it's good fun. When i first started i was rubbish, then i seemed to get a bit better, then i have gone rubbish again .
It is a very good way of getting to know people better and i realy feel as if i have made some great friends.

dandysmom
20-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Yes, Shelley's described it very well: some weeks I am a genius and the next week the village idiot, but no one really cares that much about points. The quiz normally is about an hour and a half, sometimes less, sometimes a bit more, depending on how many players and how chatty we are. It is really sort of a bonding thing. :D

angieh
20-07-2011, 10:07 PM
PP - a bit of a scary time, going up to "big" school. I still remember the dream I had the night before I started senior school!

Sorry about your drain CS - hope you can get it sorted pdq - not nice. We have some rods, but it would be a bit of a long way for you to come to borrow them!

Yes, please join us for the quiz tomorrow evening Misspurrfect - we start around 8.15.

Back from class now and I've had to have a coffee with a tot of rum in because I was so cold - it absolutely poured down just as we got to the hall. Monty started off very excited but calmed down and was a good boy. Strangely, he had real trouble walking on a ramp, even when it was not elevated. He was the only puppy who had a problem and the rest of the class was dismissed whilst a kind lurcher showed him how to do it - so in the end he did manage to walk along it. Odd how some things just worry some dogs whilst others are fine! Monty was good with the little jumps and with his sits and downs he was (IMO) the best in class.

Shelley123
21-07-2011, 02:16 PM
angie, glad class went well and i'm sure he was best in class. Monty isn't doing agility things is he ?
The reason i ask is that pups are not suposed to jump etc whilst their growth plates are still developing.

angieh
21-07-2011, 04:17 PM
No, not agility but one of the exercises involved the puppies being off lead one at a time and being led around a series of three "jumps" which were about 3 inches off the floor - most dogs just stepped over them.

Squirrel
21-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Sounds like interesting 'work' for them Angie...

just had to come back to this thread today - I bought a curly worly at work, cause they were on sale at our small tuck shop that we run on the course - my colleague obviously found them and got them last night for it. Since we were talking about it, and for the sake of childhood memories I bought one... :)

dandysmom
21-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Someone please tell me what sort of candy is a curly-wurly?

angieh
21-07-2011, 04:43 PM
These (http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/curly-wurly-p-522.html) are curly-wurlies Eileen!!!

Did it taste as you remember it Squirrel???

dandysmom
21-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks, Angie; that's making me hungry; signing off now for lunch! :D

Squirrel
21-07-2011, 05:09 PM
I haven't eaten it as yet Angie!!! It's still in my handbag. Not in the mood for chocolate at the moment...

And I may have to take a pic of mine when I open it - the packaging is nice, and interesting, but it tells nothing of the wonderfully shaped chocolate inside!!! ;)

angieh
21-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Yes, that would be great - please do!

Squirrel
23-07-2011, 09:50 AM
My Curly Wurly:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/squirrela/IMG00746-20110722-1109.jpg

And when I started to eat it:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/squirrela/IMG00747-20110722-1109.jpg

I think the chocolate is a bit thicker than I remember - and maybe the triangle holes a bit more regulation as well... The caramel is far less fudge like - as a child I used to be able to eat the chocolate away from around the toffee a bit, and suck it that way as well - if I tried to do that with the ones we have now, the caramel would melt away too... So it's very similar, but different at the same time!!! Still, it was enjoyable, so that's the main thing I guess! :)

dandysmom
23-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Looks tasty, thanks for the pic! :D

angieh
23-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the photo and appraisal Squirrel. I think I prefer my chocolate unadulterated, except perhaps by roast almonds or coffee ............. (off on an imaginary sweetie tasting spree there!)