PDA

View Full Version : PVC doors + Cat flaps

Velvet
13-07-2011, 03:20 AM
We use the living room/kitchen area to sit in to relax with the animals and the door out into the utility room has a PVC door. Always thought it impossible to get cat flaps on a PVC door - however last week the rescue we got Mindy from had such a cat flap built in

It so happened that my brother had to get the guy out that put their doors/windows in last week as my nephew opened his window too far out - he forgot to close it and a sea breeze snapped it too far back and of course it wouldn't close - guess who was in trouble:shock: As this PVC door of ours would not lock we asked my brother if the man would have a look at ours sometime - so he came up the same day and whilst here I asked if it would be possible to get a cat flap in the door and he said - yes. He would have to take out the beveled panel and replace it with a flat one with the cat flap in it.:-D

So yesterday he brought the panel with cat flap and installed it and Tim and Amber have taken to it like a duck to water. It is great. I used to be up and down like a yo-yo letting them in and out, not that i minded I might add but this makes them so independent. It had a magnet attached to the flap and door so that when it closed the magnet kept it in place however I found that this put Tim off going in and out, so deftly removed the magnet - can always put it back on at some later date if need be, maybe winter time.

Mindy watches the to and fro with great interest, somehow i don't think it will be long before she attempts to go through the cat flap too;) I hope they all get on a bit better before that happens

Mags
13-07-2011, 09:01 AM
The cat flap does make life easier, doesn't it:D

We had a 4-way cat flap fitted into our UPVC door at the same time as we had our windows replaced - that was 14 years ago. Cassie goes in and out during the day but I always lock her in at night.

Velvet
13-07-2011, 10:26 AM
The cat flap does make life easier, doesn't it:D

We had a 4-way cat flap fitted into our UPVC door at the same time as we had our windows replaced - that was 14 years ago. Cassie goes in and out during the day but I always lock her in at night.

This is the Staywell 4-way cat flap. I actually had it as a replacement for the one into the cat run as it is faulty (have to get another one now) & yes we bring ours in at night also. Think Amber would like to stay out all
night in the run, we feel shes safer indoors :)

dandysmom
13-07-2011, 03:57 PM
That worked out very well! Glad it's a success. :D