PDA

View Full Version : What Age of Cat would you adopt?

Phoenix
25-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Vote in th poll the age range of cat you would consider adopting. It's merely to see whether my theory about people is correct (there again everyone on here's biased :lol: in a good way)

Velvet
25-05-2011, 07:07 PM
I would adopt any age. We got kittens last year as the dogs had not had live in cats before. Thought it would be easier on the dogs & kittens as opposed to older cat that may have been scared or traumatised to come into house with large dogs

Velvet.Tears
25-05-2011, 07:14 PM
I would turn no cat away of it needed help no matter how old.

HappyKatz
25-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Any age for us is adoptable :) Its just a feeling you get when you are looking at the cats. If it feels right to adopt an older cat, then we would definitely go through with it :cat27

dandysmom
25-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Kittens are adorable, but really too lively for an older person with limited mobility; an older cat's personality is formed already, so it's just a case of the two of you adjusting to one another. Also, the older cat is more likely to be settled, more of a house cat/lap cat (hopefully!) A really active demanding cat isn't the best choice for a senior citizen IMO ...... Not that I wouldn't love a kitten or teenage cat, but have to be practical and consider limits .....

pamela81
25-05-2011, 08:18 PM
i must admit, we wanted a younger cat to adopt because i had never had a cat before. Harris was younger than we were originally looking for. The age of Skye was perfect for bringingher into the house because of how old harris was

angieh
25-05-2011, 08:46 PM
I would certainly consider all age groups. Choice would depend on my circumstances at the time and the cat in question. Kizzy was between 1 - 2 years when I adopted her. I really couldn't imagine being without her.

Kim
25-05-2011, 08:58 PM
I would consider any age, but trend to go for mature cats as rescue centres find them harder to rehome, kittens tend to find homes more easily.

dandysmom
26-05-2011, 03:36 AM
I think I may have misread the intent of this poll. It sounds to me as if most people are responding to the need of a cat for a home as if it were a waif/stray that turned up at the door. . I took it to mean if you were going to the shelter, what age cat would you have in mind; knowing you can't possibly take them all home! I'd never turn away a little cat who appeared needing a home either. But picking a new companion, age would be a factor in the decision.

babycakes
26-05-2011, 09:16 AM
I wanted a kitten when we got Denis, however now I would only get an older cat as Eileen said kittens are too hard as you get older....but if one came knocking at my door I wouldnt turn it away

Phoenix
26-05-2011, 10:19 AM
I meant if you went to a rescue looking to adopt a cat, rather than if one turned up at your door, just to clarify.

Elaine
26-05-2011, 03:41 PM
Am guessing most people on here knew what you meant, am also guessing that most people on here would consider a cat of any age. Thats mainly because most people on here are fairly knowledgable as to exactly what they are taking on, in terms of life stages.
Outside of forums like these I reckon that many want kittens because of the cute factor and the adaptablility of a kitten.
I reckon less want an oldie due to the health implcations and financial issues that come with it, you cannt blame people for that.

dandysmom
26-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Glad that was clarified; didn't want people thinking I'd turn away a waif at my door because it was the "wrong age".