PDA

View Full Version : Another stray!

farthing
07-04-2011, 09:13 PM
If you remember, Mr Tomsk turned up in the yard 2 winters ago as an entire stray...... Well, another has appeared. It's a lighter tabby than Tomsk and has White feet. It has been around since last autumn but it's only recently I have been able to get a proper look at it, it used to be a tail disappearing as I went into the stables! I can now see it us another entire male and it is getting less worried about being around, unfortunately it is defending it's territory against my lot who are now going out after winter.
To be honest I'm a bit fed up if it belongs to somebody near by and they haven't bothered to neuter it, and I'm tempted (if it settles enough to come to me) to just whip it on to the vet and get it neutered. If it is a stray I have to wonder how they are all ending up at my place, we are near the mart and apparently cats do get dumped there but how come they end up at mine?

angieh
07-04-2011, 09:21 PM
I believe that cats leave "you can get food here if you want" messages in their pee-mail for other cats to read!!!

Seriously, I do agree that if that cat does have an owner somewhere, they SHOULD have had him neutered. Same situation as I had last year with Harley.

Tink
07-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Maybe word has got around about your kindness and people are dropping them there?
I'd be tempted to catch and fix him too. If he has an owner they're obviously not very competent *sigh..*

Liz
07-04-2011, 10:05 PM
I think like us that sign at the bottom of the track saying good food and dogs this way:)

If you need a trap let me know I have 2 sitting idol currently

Velvet
07-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Trap & neuter. If he has annowner they probably wont even notice

calismum
07-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Trap & neuter. If he has annowner they probably wont even notice

Have to say I agree - trap and neuter, if nothing else he'll be a hapier and more content boy.

I think your lot give out some form of cats are welcome here message.

It is just so irritating that people still dump or let pets stray when it is so unnecessary.

lynz85
07-04-2011, 11:37 PM
i had the idea of somebody dumping an animal :(

maybe they come to you as they know they will be looked after ;-)

yes, i think if he warms to you then neuter, how very irresponsible to be an animal owner and not do so if your cat goes out!

angieh
08-04-2011, 12:51 PM
The problem I found is that the vet wouldn't neuter an animal that wasn't owned by the person bringing it in. If the animals is not chipped, there must be a period of time after which someone can claim to "own" the animal and have it registered at the vet in their name. Don't know what that period of time is, or what the requirements are re trying to find the owner. Not sure if there are any laws ....

Liz
08-04-2011, 02:11 PM
All the cats I trap have been neutered with no issues by our wonderful vets

angieh
08-04-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm glad you have no trouble Liz - but I expect the cats you trap are mainly feral?

dandysmom
08-04-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm thinking trap and neuter too, if your vet will do it. I'm convinced cats can leave some sort of sign alerting others .....

farthing
12-04-2011, 09:44 PM
The cat let me get within a few feet of him today, we have also named him- Mr Tibs, and I started putting food out tonight. He looks in good enough condition but so did Mr Tomsk and it was all hair. Mike is convinced he is Mr Tomsk's brother. In think I'll try and win him round and if he allows us to handle him, I'm going to get him castrated!

dandysmom
12-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Way to go, Liz, good luck! Love the name!!