PDA

View Full Version : Working together

niki71uk
30-12-2010, 07:24 PM
do u think cats and dogs r capable of working together to do things,WITH OUT being trained??

just some times my younger cat and the dog do,when my younger cat was a kitten and small enough to crawl under the side unit,helped the dog by getting his toy he couldnt reach,i wouldnt of believed it had i not seen it with my own eyes:roll:

now since xmas you get chocolate oranges and the likes,its been sitting on the side unit since xmas today,ive been uptown/out for hrs,it was left untouched

but today my dad an i went out n i came back to find the chocolate orange gone:shock: i found the empty package in the spare room:evil: i hadnt even managed to get one piece grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!

im sure the cat knocked it off for the dog,as he hadnt touched it b4 now

Mags
30-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Can you be sure it was your dog who ate the chocolate, Niki?

If he has, may I suggest you contact your vet to be on the safe side as chocolate is lethal to dogs.

Shelley123
30-12-2010, 07:39 PM
That's amazing Niki, i have never seen this myself with my pets.
Hope your Dog is ok as chocolate is toxic for dogs.

niki71uk
30-12-2010, 07:44 PM
dont think the cat ate it lol,an he's dun it b4 and been fine,he's been sick,which is to be expected for the greed,and had lovely diahorrea in the park when i took him out

Mags
30-12-2010, 07:59 PM
dont think the cat ate it lol,an he's dun it b4 and been fine,he's been sick,which is to be expected for the greed,and had lovely diahorrea in the park when i took him out

http://www.vetrica.com/care/dog/chocolate.shtml

Shelley123
30-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Glad your dog is ok, it's good that he's been sick as hopefuly he has got rid of it. I know in the past my dogs have eaten chocolate and been ok but i certainly wouldn't risk it now. Apparently the better the quality of the chocolate the more lethal it is.

angieh
30-12-2010, 08:56 PM
Whilst I am sorry that your doggie has eaten chocolate (and I do hope he will be OK now :( ), I am completely intrigued by the idea that your cat has helped the dog to retrieve a toy .... of course the cat may just have been encouraged to play with the toy by the dog and circumstantially managed to pass it back, still it is a wonderful thing to think about .... :lol:

niki71uk
30-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Whilst I am sorry that your doggie has eaten chocolate (and I do hope he will be OK now :( ), I am completely intrigued by the idea that your cat has helped the dog to retrieve a toy .... of course the cat may just have been encouraged to play with the toy by the dog and circumstantially managed to pass it back, still it is a wonderful thing to think about .... :lol:

hi angie its why i asked the question in the first place:lol: r the capapable of working together with out being trained????

dandysmom
30-12-2010, 09:30 PM
I suppose they can, both are very intelligent animals, and apparently yours get along quite well. But truthfully, I'm inclined to think the kitten rescued the toy because he wanted it, not to help the dog.

Glad the dog is OK, chocolate can be extremely dangerous for them .... and sorry you never even got a taste of it!

Velvet
30-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Yes they can do. This morning bit of mums toast got under her chair. Harvey tried getting it out with his paw to no avail. Harv doesnt give up - lol. Timmy was on the cat stand idily washing himself. After a few minutes he stretched, got down to the floor & came over to Harv, then with a deft left hook under the chair, out shot the bit of toast - which Katie promptly ate!!!!!

Years ago there was an older dog lived near one of my cousins. This particular day he was attacked by a much larger aggressive dog, dobe x that had got out by accident. The older dog was coming off very much the worst. The noise had brought several neighbours out. Just out of nowhere the cat that lived with the older dog appeared. It lept onto the aggressors back & started to tear the dogs back & head with its claws. It made the dobex break off its attack. It was undoubtedly the actions of
the cat that saved the older dog.

Shelley123
31-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Yes they can do. This morning bit of mums toast got under her chair. Harvey tried getting it out with his paw to no avail. Harv doesnt give up - lol. Timmy was on the cat stand idily washing himself. After a few minutes he stretched, got down to the floor & came over to Harv, then with a deft left hook under the chair, out shot the bit of toast - which Katie promptly ate!!!!!

Years ago there was an older dog lived near one of my cousins. This particular day he was attacked by a much larger aggressive dog, dobe x that had got out by accident. The older dog was coming off very much the worst. The noise had brought several neighbours out. Just out of nowhere the cat that lived with the older dog appeared. It lept onto the aggressors back & started to tear the dogs back & head with its claws. It made the dobex break off its attack. It was undoubtedly the actions of
the cat that saved the older dog.

What a lovely story :)

Velvet
31-12-2010, 07:45 PM
What a lovely story :)

Its amazing the bond some animals have. To all intents & purposes there are the kittens & dogs here, yet if one of the kittens is out of sight for too long one of the dogs (99% of the time, Harvey) will go check where they are.

Katie does not bother that much & she was petrified of Tim when younger as he nipped & scratched a lot. I had got a collar for Tim but he got his foot stuck in under it so i sent away for a specially made one. It seemed better. Just in case he got out by accident. I was at work this particular day & mum said Katie kept coming up to her nosing her. Mum thought Katie just wanted fussed. After a bit Katie came to mum again & barked (Katie rarely barks) & ran into the living room. Mum followed & there was baby Tim with his foot/leg caught in the collar half strangled. The quick release catch hadnt worked! Nor could mum get it pulled open or released. She had to cut the collar off with scissors which was hard enough with a very frightened kitten. Ive never put a collar on him since that day. :(

Kobster
01-01-2011, 11:20 AM
I am fully convinced that cats and dogs can communicate with each other, and do work together. Usually this involves food in my house.

Moxie can nose open the trash can lid so the cats can fish out the old cat food cans for all to enjoy. Or Ninja can open the top cabinet to knock the treats out on the floor for all to enjoy. They are in cahoots! I tell ya!

niki71uk
01-01-2011, 12:11 PM
just to let u know the dogs been fine,since his pigging out on a chocolate orange he knicked:shock: no ill effects from it AT ALL anymore

dandysmom
01-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Good news! He was very lucky not to become very very ill or worse.

niki71uk
01-01-2011, 05:27 PM
he was sick and had the skits but thats been it since

Shelley123
01-01-2011, 05:49 PM
just to let u know the dogs been fine,since his pigging out on a chocolate orange he knicked:shock: no ill effects from it AT ALL anymore

Glad he's ok, the naughty boy.
Thanks for the update