PDA

View Full Version : Somber mood

Elaine
10-11-2010, 09:15 PM
A dog walker was involved in a three car smash earlier today and is seriously injured, I think there was one fatality and two very badly injured dogs, one is in a critical state. The silly girl had no crates nor a dog guard and so the poor dogs were thrown through the front of the car on impact. I dont know this dog walker and regardless of what I feel about how she chose to run her business, I do hope she makes a recovery but I especially hope that the dogs will recover as well as every one else involved.
Around a month ago I helped out another dog walker by walking several of her dogs while she went on holiday, she called today to let me know that one of them, a 16 month old black lab died yesterday morning after suffering a brain hemorage. Very sad.

yola
10-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Sorry to read this Elaine. Crap day all around; car accidents are horrible especially when animals are involved. I hope all humans and dogs who survived the smash recover :(

angieh
10-11-2010, 09:20 PM
It's been a doubly sad day for you Elaine. I am shocked that the dog walker had no crates or dog guard to protect or restrain the dogs. Very sad that they have all suffered as a consequence of this horrible accident.

It is even sadder to hear about the black lab. What a shock that must have been for the owners and for the dog walker who must have known the animal well.

calismum
10-11-2010, 09:20 PM
I do wish there was more awareness of the risk you put your dog in if there is no crate/guard in the car.

Fingers crossed the injured survive.

Sorry to hear about the lab.

(hugs) for you.

Elaine
10-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Sadly there are several dog walkers who just pack dogs into cars/vans and have no crates and or guards in place. The more dogs they can get in and walk at one time, the less walks they have to do and the more cash they take in.
I hope those who dont carry dogs safely and securely take heed of what has happened today and make amends.

Moli
10-11-2010, 09:40 PM
Very sad, hope those critical make a full recovery.....as for the dog walker who just pile dogs into a van, there should be some legislation in place regarding carrying a lot of dogs together....

Kim
10-11-2010, 11:06 PM
How very sad Elaine.

Sorry, slightly off topic. We have 3 greyhounds and they are strapped into the back of our Picasso car. We don't have crates or a guard, I thought strapping them in would be enough, but obviously not, you have me worried now. where would I get a guard? We remove 2 of the seats to make extra room for them, especially on long journeys, so not sure how we could fix a guard?

dandysmom
10-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Very tragic, Elaine, and could have been avoided with proper precautions. A pity all aren't as conscientious as you, :(

EmmaG
10-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Sorry to hear this Elaine....I hope everybody including the dogs make a full recovery. :-(

Velvet
11-11-2010, 12:00 AM
How very sad Elaine.

Sorry, slightly off topic. We have 3 greyhounds and they are strapped into the back of our Picasso car. We don't have crates or a guard, I thought strapping them in would be enough, but obviously not, you have me worried now. where would I get a guard? We remove 2 of the seats to make extra room for them, especially on long journeys, so not sure how we could fix a guard?

You can buy a front seat guard from Pets at Home. Fits securely between the two front seats & worth every penny of the £19.99 it costs.

Very sad accident for all concerned & that poor Lab pup. :(

Kazz
11-11-2010, 11:06 AM
How very sad for all involved.

Kim
11-11-2010, 12:32 PM
You can buy a front seat guard from Pets at Home. Fits securely between the two front seats & worth every penny of the £19.99 it costs.

Very sad accident for all concerned & that poor Lab pup. :(

Thank-you very much. I am definitely going to get a guard of some description! ;)

PoshPuss
11-11-2010, 12:41 PM
So sorry for the dog-walker but hope that the dogs and her recover soon. I must confess that when I took my collie Bron to the vets she wasn't in a crate or behind a dog guard :oops: :( but she lay quietly in the footwell of the passenger seat. It was a short 5mins trip, if that, into town and the only car travel she did. Posh always goes in her carrier, strapped in by the seatbelt.

Seems like common sense to secure all passengers now, and if I ever had another dog they would def. be crated, guarded etc.