PDA

View Full Version : Meowless.........

Moli
07-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Murphy has not got a meow! he opens his mouth but nothing comes out, although he can purr really loud....

angieh
07-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Oh ......... has he never meowed? Apart from purring, does he make any other noises? Sort of quacks, for instance. Just that Merlin never really meowed, but did "Quack"!!!

Mags
07-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Poor Murphy, I'm sure he'll find his meow soon.:D

It was a few years before I heard Cassie's first meow....

Moli
07-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Oh ......... has he never meowed? Apart from purring, does he make any other noises? Sort of quacks, for instance. Just that Merlin never really meowed, but did "Quack"!!!
The only noise he makes is purring, and its soloud you can here it when he is in the other room....

angieh
07-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Making up for not meowing then. Go for it Murphy!

Moli
07-09-2010, 10:17 PM
He is coming on in leaps and bounds, quite a cheeky boy too....

MrsH
07-09-2010, 10:31 PM
We once had a cat that never meowed, she used to open her mouth in greeting but because there was no sound, it just looked as though she was yawning.

Moli
07-09-2010, 10:43 PM
We once had a cat that never meowed, she used to open her mouth in greeting but because there was no sound, it just looked as though she was yawning.
Thats exactly what he does....

Manyana13
07-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Oh how sweet, you never know know he may find it one day! Lola never had a meow, well she still doesnt really, but has developed a sqeeking noise now after about a year, we say she is deflating because thats what she sounds like! :-)

dandysmom
07-09-2010, 10:59 PM
Moli, sounds like the Silent Miaow to me!!

Moli
07-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Moli, sounds like the Silent Miaow to me!!
Its quite nice actually, my 4 boys are all very vocal!!:roll:

calismum
08-09-2010, 12:02 AM
Never had a meowless cat before. Wonder if he'll ever do it?

Elaine
08-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Winston had a silent meow, he could let out a squeek now and again. He also had a very gentle purr.

Maybe he has chosen to be quiet as he cannt be bothered with the competition of your other cats:lol:

angieh
08-09-2010, 02:29 PM
I am intrigued by the whole subject of vocalisation in cats. Harley for instance started off being extremely vocal - before we adopted him. He would call to us to let him in, to feed him etc. Now he knows that he will be fed when he appears and rubs around our legs, he has stopped yelling at us!

Could it be that cats use their voice to tell us what they want and if they get whatever it is without, they stop shouting!!! Just a theory :D

dandysmom
08-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Could it be that cats use their voice to tell us what they want and if they get whatever it is without, they stop shouting!!! Just a theory :grin:

That's a very good point! I'd say that pretty much describes all mine over the years ... except my Siamese boy, of course who could talk the ear off a brass monkey. And little Onyx who turned into a chatterbox once she came to trust me

farthing
08-09-2010, 08:32 PM
I don't think I have heard Jimmy make a noise since he came here a year ago- he does purr but it is very quiet. Samson was very vocal, he spoke to you all the time and had a really loud purr, most people whosaw him thought had had some oriental in him and that may explain why he was so talkative.
Its amazes my what different meiows they all have- Mr Tomsk is very tomcatty, Pudding has a really deep meiow and Fluffy has a squeak.

Stephan
09-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Cleo didn`t meow for ages after we had take her in. She still says very little,the odd `chirrup` when she lands on my bed or lap.

But she can you know-oh yes. when she wants to examine the little cupboard under the downstairs bath she howls.

The first time I heard it my blood ran cold-Cleo what`s up?

I`m used to it now

PoshPuss
09-09-2010, 06:13 PM
When my Posh lost her meow I knew something was wrong, she's always had a wide vocabulary, quite a diva. Ranging from mew to aaaaammm, to yowl, and gargling. It was pleasant to have her silent for a few days but she's back to full throttle now, especially in the morning. I'll try and capture a performance on my mobile and see if I can put it on youtube or some thing... no good with tech stuff :(

dandysmom
09-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Dandy had a funny sort of rusty meow; sounded as if he had laryngitis.

jacks
11-09-2010, 05:45 PM
My first cat Toby never meowed.:( He use to open his mouth but nothing came out,Bless him.
Minnie is totally opposite.She talks constantly.All different types of meows,even one that sounds like shes shouting at you.I agree that sometimes i think she is trying to tell us what she wants.I love all the little noises she makes.:D

angieh
11-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Is Minnie a "chirrupper" Jacks? I never mistake Kizzy's little prrrrps for another cat - she is always telling me about something, the chirrup seems to announce "I'm here" and then she tries to use body language. Mainly I guess it's all down to cupboard love and she wants food! That never seems to fail!!!

jacks
11-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Yes Angieh,minnie does chirrupps.Sometimes it sounds like she says HELLO.:lol:

Miranda Luck
12-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Could be worse! As a child we had a lovely big cuddly Siamese who would not stop 'talking'. We were used to it so didn't really hear him but friends and family found it most odd! :lol: