PDA

View Full Version : Which 1 should I choose out of these 2 - any behaviourists out there?? :)

monkay
16-08-2010, 12:54 AM
Hi,
Me and my partner went to meet 2 cats today and can't decide which one we should adopt - they both were really lovely cats and both seemed really healthy.

Cat number 1 came when called, was confident, purred as soon as he was picked up (which he enjoyed), absolutely loved being made a fuss of but would lose interest in us a bit after a couple of minutes and wander off - he would come back to us straight away when called though. He was just over 1 year old.

-------------------------

Cat Number 2 was a bit wary of us at first but after 5 minutes came and sat in between my partners legs without being called, of his own accord, he laid down there and enjoyed being made a fuss of rolling onto his back. When my partner got up and moved about 2 minutes later cat number 2 followed and laid between his legs again and wanted to stay there. He did not like being picked up very much though - he squirmed a bit and wanted to be put down. He was 8 months old.
I know ultimately we have to make the decision but just wondering if anybody out there is some sort of cat behavioural guru in case we are missing anything with the cats behavior - as we really can't decide and we want to choose right!!! We really like them both but only can have one. They are being sold from the same person due to change in circumstances.

Tink
16-08-2010, 07:05 AM
oh dear. i am not a behaviorist by any means.
i'd be inclined to go toward the second kitty. the first sounds great too though. not much help, i know.
i guess what could help you choose is maybe figure out if you want a cat that likes to be picked up or not? it's so hard because a cat's behavior can be so different depending on its environment and how they know you.
i do hope the two cats are not bonded as i'd hate to split up those two if they are.

Kazz
16-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Which one caught your or your partners eye or your heart, I had two cats for over 20 years one who loved being picked up and fussed and one who disliked it greatly whereas the most loving of cats.

Don't suppose there is any chance you will take on the two?

Manyana13
16-08-2010, 12:04 PM
I am no behaviourist, but I agree with Kazz... which one caught your partner's heart?

Don't be put off by a reluctant cat, we got Lola a year ago and she wouldn't let us pick her up and was scared of us at first and would often hide and scurry if we made sudden movements... and she has become the most cuddly and loving creature you could ever imagine.

Good luck... it is a tough decision.

angieh
16-08-2010, 01:57 PM
Tough call - and the difference in their ages may be a factor. Personally, I would go for cat no.1 - because I like an independent, confident cat. He seemed friendly and came to you by choice. That's just my opinion of course! Good luck with your choice.

dandysmom
16-08-2010, 04:31 PM
No behaviorist here either, but I'd go for cat #2.

niki71uk
16-08-2010, 07:44 PM
go for cat 2

dandysmom
16-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Please let us know which one you pick! :D

moonstone
17-08-2010, 08:18 PM
HI:) think i would take them both;) but that,s me:) I understand that you only want one so i think i would go for cat no.2:D personally i dont like my cats to be too friendly toward,s other humans as they are then not likely to be "catnapped":evil: do let us know which one you choose:)

niki71uk
17-08-2010, 08:29 PM
all my animals r one person animals,toby 15 is a wailer in other people houses,jack the dog 5 n a half,has never been away from me,i even take him on holidays and cass 2 n a half hides when other people come in to my flat,and wont let anyone else touch her,

so mibbee its not so good for animals to be so aloof !:roll: