PDA

View Full Version : Don't forget the £ a day challenge

Kazz
10-01-2010, 01:03 PM
Well people don't forget the £ a day challenge...still time to catch up in effect if have a £10 to put in your pot. That puts you level. It really does help and surprising how you can put a £ aside.....easily you can spend that or break it with a morning paper or packet of crisps.
£ a day means £350+ by next Christmas or keep going ......the sooner you start the quicker you get into the habit.

Kim
10-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Great idea Kazz. Christmas was good for us financially this year as I saved £400+ with Park for vouchers and had £100 Morrisons stamps, really made a difference. May start the £1 a day idea too!

Mags
10-01-2010, 03:12 PM
An excellent way of saving Kazz and it's surprising how it adds up by next Christmas.:)

EmmaG
10-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Excellent idea!!!

Moli
10-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Think I will join you Kazz....:)

Kazz
10-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Tell you whats a not bad idea either is I round up the shopping amount ie if shopping comes to £26 I round up to £30 when in sainsburys and put the £4 on their "gift card" you can add any amount to the card you carry the top up bit with you and the bit of the card you need to spend it is safe in the house. ;)You can add up to £750 to one card......I ended up with £312 on mine this year....but just rounding up when I had the spare change/ cash.You can add anything from a £1 upwards. You get a balance everytime you top up too. :)I choose Sainsburys for this because this is where I mainly shop. You don't have to spend the card all in one time and no use by date.Then with the loyalty nectar card from them I ended up with £160 on that too. You get nectar points on every top up too ;).Surprising how the £1.27 add up throughout the year

Kazz
10-01-2010, 04:09 PM
I opened a basic Co Op account to have the £'d put into and chuck it into that when I get a bit in the pot I can pay it in to the post office. So do that and the account has a debit card so I can spend happily at Christmas knowing its money for Christmas not money from next years credit card bill.I intend to put all my lottery winnings into that too...see how positive I am thinking

alexgirl73
10-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I am impressed Karen :) I would love to do it, but tbh, I'm lucky to have a pound left at the end of the week lol! I have however opened a credit union account and £5 each week comes out of my bank account and goes into it. Trying to save for a really nice holiday in a few years. Perhaps to eurodisney. I also have my change jar for all my loose coppers and 5ps, so that will add up too :)

Kazz
10-01-2010, 04:22 PM
In that case Alex you are doing it ....I have a credit union account too and volunteer there once a month I give them my "day off" I think its they are a brilliant idea an old fashioned concept (like the Saturday club that factories etc used to run)that is bang on for the 21st century.And you'd be surprised how quick the copper adds up and 5ps seem to multiply. ;)

EmmaG
10-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Tell you whats a not bad idea either is I round up the shopping amount ie if shopping comes to £26 I round up to £30 when in sainsburys and put the £4 on their "gift card" you can add any amount to the card you carry the top up bit with you and the bit of the card you need to spend it is safe in the house. ;)You can add up to £750 to one card......I ended up with £312 on mine this year....but just rounding up when I had the spare change/ cash.You can add anything from a £1 upwards. You get a balance everytime you top up too. :)I choose Sainsburys for this because this is where I mainly shop. You don't have to spend the card all in one time and no use by date.Then with the loyalty nectar card from them I ended up with £160 on that too. You get nectar points on every top up too ;).Surprising how the £1.27 add up throughout the year

You would also get your nectar points when you used the money on the card too!!

Kazz
10-01-2010, 05:22 PM
You would also get your nectar points when you used the money on the card too!!

Yep win all round.

EmmaG
10-01-2010, 05:38 PM
Also if you buy some store giftcards (debenhams etc - perhaps for birthday presents) if you get them from Tescos/Sainsburys etc you also get your points

Kazz
10-01-2010, 05:49 PM
You can use the giftcards from sainsbury to buy debenhams gift cards so handy if you are short around the time f a birthday/wedding....

Donna
10-01-2010, 05:53 PM
I will try and save this year for Xmas... I am going to try the £1 a day... but cant put any in until payday so will have to start on 29th January and put the money into my savings account...

I might even try putting £40 in each month, but did get into a bit of debt this Xmas just gone, so need to pay that off too...

Its so hard but am looking at ways to save money this year as my spending has gone up a lot recently - mainly with supermarket shopping.

Shelley123
10-01-2010, 06:16 PM
It's a good idea, we save all our copper and other small change in a pot, for special occassions we cash it in at a coin sorting machine and it's surprising how it mounts up.
We also saved our Tesco club card points for christmas this year and it realy helped,
Shelley

Kazz
10-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Every little always helps....welcome to the club.

Kim
10-01-2010, 08:12 PM
It's a good idea, we save all our copper and other small change in a pot, for special occassions we cash it in at a coin sorting machine and it's surprising how it mounts up.
We also saved our Tesco club card points for christmas this year and it realy helped,
Shelley

If you use your tesco clubcard points on 'deals' they are worth 4x their face value. We have had a holiday on a narrowboat which would have cost £1000, free using clubcard vouchers, we also went on holiday to Normandy exclusively on vouchers + lots of meals out, theme parks, car service + MOT, etc. Don't know how I would manage without them! They have saved me literally hundreds over the years.

Kazz
10-01-2010, 08:43 PM
There is a lot to be said for loyalty points. ;)

EmmaG
10-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Don't forget you can also get your nectar points for a lot of shopping online (Amazon, boots etc) you just need to go to the Nectar site and then enter your nectar card number and then choose the online store you want to shop with.

calismum
13-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Great idea - I'll get a pot and backdate my £1's.

Loads of other handy ideas here too.

Kazz
21-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Well how are we doing now have £190 in the jar added a couple of winning scratchcards to the pot too. This is now siting nicely in a Barclays account for Christmas...also have £140ish on my sainsburys nectar card......Mom had a momentary memory lapse and spent £70 off it........................TUT TUT.........but still got a £140ish and not July yet.

So how are we all doing?

EmmaG
21-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Poorly - LOL

Kazz
21-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Poorly - LOL Yes possibly :-D but you have the memories and a lovely hubby who you can devour at times of extreme poverty ;)

calismum
22-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Just had a quick check - I have £217 in my pot. Been doing the £1 a day most days and trying to add any £2 coins I have in my purse on a Friday night.

This has been a great idea Kazz as it is not really missed.

Kazz
22-06-2010, 08:19 PM
Just had a quick check - I have £217 in my pot. Been doing the £1 a day most days and trying to add any £2 coins I have in my purse on a Friday night.

This has been a great idea Kazz as it is not really missed.

Thats the point isn't it. How often do you spend a £ on a magazine bar choc....

Donna
22-06-2010, 08:47 PM
I had £200 saved... and then Twinkle my bunny was very sick and ended up with £700+ vet bill, so had to use the Christmas money...

I have nothing for Christmas at the moment :(

Kazz
22-06-2010, 10:02 PM
I had £200 saved... and then Twinkle my bunny was very sick and ended up with £700+ vet bill, so had to use the Christmas money...

I have nothing for Christmas at the moment :(

I would say forget the turkey have the rabbit but I suspect I would get beaten up for that so I won't ;)

Seriously Donna can you not insure rabbits like you can dogs and cats? as they are a very very popular pet these days. But I suspect you don't always consider it till you have had a big bill.

angieh
22-06-2010, 10:55 PM
My £1 pot has actually always been a very small change pot! But I have to say even that adds up. It is a very large whisky bottle!