PDA

View Full Version : New kitten - safety

angieh
13-07-2009, 11:58 AM
I have been trawling t'internet to try and find something that will protect all the electrical cables and stuff we have trailing around from potential chewing by the new kitten. I have come across one product that looked as if it may just be the thing, but of course it's American and I can't find a UK seller. It's called Crittercord.

Does anyone have any solutions to the potential chewing hazard? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Leesy
13-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Sorry I can`t really help you with that one Angie, I have just as best as I could tied mine together and pinned them up with cable tidies, which does appear to have worked as they don`t try to mess with them.

pookyandjo
13-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Angie, I had the same problem with Harri.. found a product called a cable zipper.. not sure if you can get it there... but you could also try some of that flexible clear tubing that they sell at garden supply stores...sometimes it's black too... used for watering systems... run a stanly knife down the side... and slip the cables in.. you can always run about of tape around it if it isn't quite flexible enough to spring back once you have put all the cords in it..

the beauty of that is that its pretty cheap and you can cut it to exact size required

angieh
13-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks Jo - I may have found what you mean, is it a sort of spiral plastic covering that sort of zips on (not with a zip!)

Does it work? Did it keep your wee one from chewing the cables?

pookyandjo
13-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks Jo - I may have found what you mean, is it a sort of spiral plastic covering that sort of zips on (not with a zip!)

Does it work? Did it keep your wee one from chewing the cables?

yeah... it worked... initially she still tried to chew... but she couldn't get her mouth easily around the diameter of the cable.. and when she did she found that wasn't comfortable to persist... so now she has started chewing the corner of photo frames in stead!!!:roll:

dinahsmum
13-07-2009, 01:45 PM
I've never known a kitten chew wires - certainly haven't taken any precautions against it. Bad Mum!

dandysmom
13-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Another Bad Mom here; I've never kitten-proofed wires as none of mine have ever tried to chew them! But I've heard that putting Tabasco or another hot sauce on them would work, although that does sound a bit messy and time-consuming. Angie, if you can't find something to suit I'd be more than happy to order Crittercord here for you and send it, Amazon has it here; did you try Amazon UK?

calismum
13-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I too used the spiral cable zip tidy. As Jo said - too big to get mouth round so did deter her from seeking them out.

Have to say it was the first time I have had a kitten who tried to chew, the rest usually ignored wires.

Elaine
13-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Never had a kitten chew wires and cables here either but have always been told that crab apple oil on the cables deters puppies and kittens from chewing them, dont know if it works as I have never had to put it to the test.

calismum
13-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Never had a kitten chew wires and cables here either but have always been told that crab apple oil on the cables deters puppies and kittens from chewing them, dont know if it works as I have never had to put it to the test.

Must remember that for the future. Kinsi was determined to get the telephone wire from the side of the door - I had a barrier of books against which we all regularly tripped over :lol:

dandysmom
13-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Another idea, although perhaps messy also: cats dislike the smell of citrus so they say ....maybe rub a slice of orange or lemon along the wires/cables???

Kazz
13-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Never had a puppy or kitten chew or attempt to chew through wires...so I am a bad owner too........I just let them get on with it, and try to correct what I don't want when it happens.

angieh
13-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Another idea, although perhaps messy also: cats dislike the smell of citrus so they say ....maybe rub a slice of orange or lemon along the wires/cables???

The Crittercord is impregnated with citrus Eileen - which is what made me think it would be a brilliant idea. Now I have seen on another forum via Google search that it doesn't work for Jack Russells, but that's not to say it wouldn't work for cats.

I'll see if I can find out anything about crab apple oil.

dandysmom
13-07-2009, 08:55 PM
I think it was on here I read about the citrus...someone's cats were peeing in the large indoor planters and there was a suggestion to put orange peels there to deter them. Hopefully, new kitty will not be a cord chewer! But the offer is still good if you want me to order here.

angieh
13-07-2009, 10:51 PM
Thanks for your kind offer Eileen - I'll bear that in mind.

pookyandjo
14-07-2009, 05:17 AM
I think it was on here I read about the citrus...someone's cats were peeing in the large indoor planters and there was a suggestion to put orange peels there to deter them. Hopefully, new kitty will not be a cord chewer! But the offer is still good if you want me to order here.

yeah orange peels are supposed to be a good deterent for areas that you dont them to go into.. like indoor pot plants... etc... as for cats chewing wires.. none of my others have ever done it...
mind you.... Harri has done heaps of stuff that no other cat i've ever had or known has done... if there is mischief to be had... she's there... i keep looking through her fur to see if she has 666 on her skin somewhere... she is certainly a little devil!:twisted:

angieh
14-07-2009, 09:59 AM
I suspect it's her "gingeriness"!

dandysmom
14-07-2009, 04:01 PM
yeah orange peels are supposed to be a good deterent for areas that you dont them to go into.. like indoor pot plants... etc... as for cats chewing wires.. none of my others have ever done it...
mind you.... Harri has done heaps of stuff that no other cat i've ever had or known has done... if there is mischief to be had... she's there... i keep looking through her fur to see if she has 666 on her skin somewhere... she is certainly a little devil!:twisted:

:smt005 I'm sure it's on the skin of those horrible destructive squirrels~

angieh
14-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Here's (http://www.crittercord.com/) the link to Crittercord, in case anyone is interested. It sounds just the right thing. I just wish I could find someone who has used it and found out whether it works for cats or not.