PDA

View Full Version : Rip . . . :-(

yola
07-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Sadly the insurance company deem the old Porsche too expensive to repair. OH is understandably both upset and furious as the car is like part of the family :cry:

Thankfully I can get my number plate back off it (it is my personal plate that I've had for 20 years) but the problem is the cars are now actually appreciating in value and the insurance pay out - hopefully they'll pay all that's owing - won't cover another one in the same condition as they are becoming increasingly rare.

Here's the beauty . . . makes me quite upset too to think she won't be in the drive any longer and we won't here her rumbly engine as OH comes back from work - could hear it from down the road :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/yolamealing/hs_10951.jpg

angieh
07-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Very sad Yola. Did it have a name?

alexgirl73
07-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Looking at that beauty I can understand why you are so upset. She was gorgeous.

yola
07-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Very sad Yola. Did it have a name?

I don't know :oops: I used to call it 'fast b*****d' but unsure if OH had a 'pet' name for her.

PoshPuss
07-05-2009, 11:13 AM
OH Dear ! Guess you'll miss the adrenaline rush that the old growling engine gives you ( and the handy hint that OH is on his way! ;) ) Glad you are able to keep your personal number plate tho.

pookyandjo
07-05-2009, 12:23 PM
nice looking car Yola...insurance companies can b a real pain at times... but at least you get your personal plate back...If you dont mind me asking... what is your personal plate?
We have a bit of a thing about them in our family...We all (me, hubby and Cait) have personalized plates on our individual cars...

Moli
07-05-2009, 01:12 PM
What a shame, its such a classic too....What will your Hubby get now Yola???

yola
07-05-2009, 02:00 PM
What a shame, its such a classic too....What will your Hubby get now Yola???

He's been searching online for lease prices on a 911 or whetever their derivative is :shock: :shock: :shock: which are flippin' pricey and to be honest I think they're a bit too flash. Problem is he has fast cars in his blood and it's about one of the only ones which is a 4-seater!

Jo, my plate is YLA 469 ;)

dinahsmum
07-05-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm really sorry to hear of this demise;(
It's daft to be affectionate towards a car but I do understand.

Moli
07-05-2009, 04:03 PM
He's been searching online for lease prices on a 911 or whetever their derivative is :shock: :shock: :shock: which are flippin' pricey and to be honest I think they're a bit too flash. Problem is he has fast cars in his blood and it's about one of the only ones which is a 4-seater!

I can understand that Yola, I love fast sporty cars, but have got to the age, where pratical is more important...:roll:

MrsH
07-05-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm sorry he's lost his beloved car Yola, I wonder about insurance companies sometimes though, they have a reputation of being a bit too quick to write off cars in my opinion.

Kazz
07-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Tell hubby the in thing no is a bike...pedal variety

dandysmom
07-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Sorry to read this, Yola; I know people who drive get very attached to their cars.

calismum
07-05-2009, 08:29 PM
That is a real shame. Lovely car.

pookyandjo
08-05-2009, 07:15 AM

Yola if he's into sporty... has he looked at a MINI.. i drive one and they are super sporty... and have 4 seats...
When i got mine 18 months ago... hubby wanted us to get a mazda MX5.. but because he's 6'4" he was far too tall...plus it only had 2 seats... but we settled on the Mini cause it was sporty, had heaps of room... and two seats in the back.. not that we use them very often...

Leesy
08-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Sorry to hear about your OH`s car Yola:( , it looked to have been a lovely car, bet it was a great drive.

yola
08-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Jo, I think Minis, even the Cooper S ones don't have the oomph he's looking for. We did test drive one a couple of years ago and whilst it's a lovely nippy car I think it's not 'butch' enough for him.

He's currently got his courtesy car which is an Alfa Romeo Coupe - also no slouch - and he can hold on to it for a year under the terms of the insurance; but he's just hankering after a heavy German car with a high top end speed :roll:

dinahsmum
08-05-2009, 08:28 AM
Yola - is there any value in buying the Porsche as a write off and gradually restoring it - a project for him? As it has a rarity value and as they are appreciating, maybe it would prove a viable proposition. Plus, maybe, service/work charges are going down a bit, as times are tight?

yola
08-05-2009, 08:39 AM
DM - he was talking about buying the engine (a new one is £6K :shock: ), gearbox, the lovely cream leather seats . . . but the problem is the underside of the car is badly bent so it's not something he can do on his own - needs major machinery to try and straighten it. Plus we don't really have anywhere to keep the bits or to carry out the rebuild as we have no garage.

The damage was obviously was much worse than we first thought - just thought it was bent bodywork initially.

dinahsmum
08-05-2009, 08:43 AM
It just might be worth pursuing it before accepting its loss. At least he can then be convinced he did everything to try to save his old friend, even if it turns out to be for nought

yola
08-05-2009, 10:04 AM
I do think it's something he's going over in his mind . . . he's not saying much (typically) but I know he's working through all the possible options.

It's his car so I will go with whatever he decides to do in the end as I don't want to put pressure on him one way or the other.