PDA

View Full Version : Nile cruise

dinahsmum
27-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Has anyone done a Nile cruise or are you all far too young? :)

dandysmom
27-03-2009, 04:37 PM
Are you thinking of doing one?

dinahsmum
27-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Mmm, maybe

dandysmom
27-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Well, Mags has been to Egypt, but can't remember if a cruise was part of it..... don't think so. What's age got to do with it? I''m not quite old enough to have had lunch with Pharoah Rameses...I'm apparently missing the allusion?

dinahsmum
27-03-2009, 04:48 PM
:)
I don't think it's a first choice holiday for the young and trendy - but maybe I'm wrong.
It looks rather pleasant - some relaxation but a lot of fascinating historical sight-seeing opportunity too

dandysmom
27-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Ah so! Makes sense now. It does sound lovely. Young and trendy I'm not. :-D

Elaine
27-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Being such a young and trendy person myself;) , I'm afraid to say that I haven't yet done any sort of cruise although i do quite fancy a few days on the Norweigan Fjiords.

Kazz
27-03-2009, 07:06 PM
My cousin Jill and her husband Pete did a Nile cruise 6 years ago when Gill was 55 and Pete 60 it was also their 35th wedding anniversay and they went with her sister Joanie and her husband Phil.
Jill said the cruise was brilliant something she would reccomend and would and has done again, everything on hand and very relaxing. However she said being fair she seemed to be a target and felt uneasy especially in the city off the ship without Pete or Phil nearby even if Jill and Joani strayed behind as they do shopping they felt uneasy and is a normal confident woman.
Although Pete did almost accept an "offer for Jill" but was told by the ships tour guide this was not a joke...and ...gracefuly backed out. SHe was not amused.

She said the poverty was terrible and she is a fair bit soft with regard to children... andsis cry but this was the first time they had ever been abroad I think she has toughened slightly since then. When you holiday in Wales and the furest you've been is Scotland its a shock.I would think.

They also reccomended taking pencils little crayons/rubbers/anything small for the children as they were so proud of anything like that.

But they thoroughly enjoyed it and have cruised since, and do every Christmas now.
They have also returned to Eygypt same place Mags went last year.

yola
27-03-2009, 07:08 PM
We went about 10 years ago (maybe more). It was nice; certainly the scenery/tours and the boat. We both did have a bit of an issue with the cliques that developed amongst the people on the boat.

You do end up feeling like a bit of a sheep, being herded everywhere . . . but if you're OK with that and are happy to muck in and 'play the game' then you're probably going to love it.

Mags
27-03-2009, 07:45 PM
I've never taken a Nile Cruise as I don't particularly like spending
a lot of time on the water.:) However, last year we spent hours on the banks of the Nile watching dozens and dozens of Cruise Ships pass by........ a wonderful sight!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Mags40/Egypt/DSC06544.jpg

Through chatting to other holiday makers last year I did gain some info about the cruises.

There are about 250 - 300 boats on the Nile. They range in categories 3* 4* 5* etc, they also have ratings ie 5* Standard, 5* Deluxe and 5* Super Deluxe. I personally would suggest going for the highest rating you can afford as some of the cruise ships are rather 'disappointing' to look at.

The excursions from the ships usually start early in the morning - anytime from 6.00am so that you have time to visit the sites before it gets too hot. Strangely the heat is more bearable there than in the UK due to the very low humidity.

I agree with Kazz in saying there is a lot of poverty in Egypt, the hassling and haggling can be overbearing at times but the country's wealth lies in their array of ancient relics which more than compensates for it.

Oh..... and some of the passengers from the ships stayed at our hotel for a few days and their ages varied from 20's upwards...;)

Kazz
27-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Thats right as Mags said it I remember Jill and co did stay at a hotel or two....I can ask if you like, but like Mags said the best you can afford is the better option.

Kim
27-03-2009, 11:40 PM
My son did a Nile cruise in December last year and he's only 21! He loved it!

dinahsmum
28-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks for all your responses.
It's not easy finding somewhere pleasantly warm in December/January without going half-way round the world but I think the Nile, followed by a week flopping on a sunbed at a Red Sea resort doesn't sound too bad at all.
I acknowledge the poverty issues and have worked this through in my head. There was a time when I would have refused point blank to 'exploit' other people like this but I have come to the view that, actually, it is a way in which us 'rich' ordinary people can do something concrete to help, if only in a tiny way.
I'll keep you posted.

angieh
28-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Yes, you are right IMO to look at it that way. After all, poor people cannot benefit from tourist income if there are no tourists.

I look forward to hear whether you decide to go!

pookyandjo
31-03-2009, 01:58 AM
Hi Dm,
I did a nile cruise in 1996 as part of a police exchange between australia and egypt that i was on with 30 other police officers.. we did have a good time... it was relaxing... although the nile isn't wide at all... and you spend a lot of time getting on and off the boat at the different stops... certainly lots to see... but even for a history nut like me you can tend to get "templed out"

if you are planning a trip to egypt.. in my personal opinion you shouldn't miss Abu Simbel and if you have the opportunity to spend a few days on the red sea coast.. maybe somewhere like Hurgardha or sharm el sheik... the waters are beautiful and warm and wonderful for snorkelling and seeing the fish.. if you want any further info.. i can dig out my egypt diary and hunt through it to see what else is there..I keep a diary for every contry that i visit...
it's fun planning a trip...
im nearly finished planning ours for later on this year i actually booked the flights yesterday!

take care
Jo

Leesy
31-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Never been on a cruise but have heard they are really good and the Nile cruise is meant to be fantasic as other people have posted, if you do go I think you will have a great time:D

dinahsmum
31-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks Jo
Nile Cruise is supposed to be on The Bucket List, as the current film is called, so we are investigating all the possible permutations now. Add Red Sea? Luxor? Cairo?
Hopefully we'll decide in a little while --- or we'll do a 180degree turn and say Nah . .. lets do the Florida Keys! (another one on the Bucket List)

yola
31-03-2009, 09:34 AM
The cruises usually set off from Luxor and go down to Aswan where you can then take a coach trip to see Abu Simbel. OH did the trip (4am start), I didn't. He said it was amazing. If there you must see the Cataract Hotel which is a lovely old colonial place. They do 'high tea' or alternatively you can stay over there for a couple of days - it's very luxurious :D

Mags
31-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Many famous people have stayed at the Cataract Hotel and I do believe Agatha Christie wrote many whodunnits in her suite there, including the obvious one "Death on the Nile" :D

random
31-03-2009, 02:12 PM
This would be my dream holiday and i'm only 24, I don't think that's classed as too old yet? :mrgreen: My mum has been to Egypt this year but didn't so the cruise. definitely on my list!

Kazz
31-03-2009, 10:35 PM
This sounds really really tempting now I may go maybe we should all go as a group............;)DM....."What is the Bucket list please?"

dinahsmum
01-04-2009, 08:08 AM
The Bucket List is a film from last year with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. Things to do before you kick the bucket =The Bucket List :)

....... imagine a Catsey group holiday :roll: We'd turn into a cat rescue group!

Leesy
01-04-2009, 08:22 AM
The Bucket List is a film from last year with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. Things to do before you kick the bucket =The Bucket List :)

....... imagine a Catsey group holiday :roll: We'd turn into a cat rescue group!

Think that would be the case too........:lol: :lol:

calismum
01-04-2009, 07:47 PM

calismum
01-04-2009, 07:48 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(don't know what I did above!)

Cruise sounds as if it would be great.

dinahsmum
02-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Booked!
1 week on a 5* cruise, 12 assorted excursions (!)
1 week in a 5* hotel in Luxor

Leesy
02-04-2009, 06:32 PM
That sounds fantastic DM, you will have a fab time i`m sure:D

dandysmom
02-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Wow, great! Lots of pics to look forward to; when do you leave?

calismum
02-04-2009, 08:09 PM
You lucky, lucky *****!

Mags
02-04-2009, 08:51 PM
That looks fabulous DM, which hotel are you staying at?

dinahsmum
03-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Not going till January - lots of time to look forward.
However it will be a busy time between then and now, with much travelling, both leisure and work
After Easter - Georgia (the US one!) for a week
May - Middlesex 7s & London weekend
June/July - SW France - 2 weeks, main holiday
August - Stockholm long weekend
September - Loire for a week
January - Egypt (Mags - Sonesta)
Phew! Maybe it will be back to a week at Weston after that lot :)