PDA

View Full Version : What hours do you work

smudgley
08-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Ok so I'm still bored & trying to think of new threads (it's not like I haven't got anything to do either, with a million and one little jobs calling me)

Just wondering what days / hours / shifts people work?

I work Monday to Friday 9.30am - 5pm. On Wednesdays I work at home.

I do one overnight duty every fortnight (which starts at 5pm until 7.30am) but can go to bed, so would work the day of the duty and the day after as it's just answering phones & locking up the premises) It's an optional duty, so you can do them as/when it suits you.

I work 2 weekends per year, doing "mating duty" (depending on what needs to be done, may be nothing, may be a couple of hours or possbly more)

We have an on-call person, which is a 24hour emergency phone. I don't do that anymore but occasionally I will cover it if the others are busy. (like in September when they are doing a sponsored challenge together)

Kazz
08-02-2009, 12:50 PM
What a varied sort of working life Smudgley.

Mine is every other weekend off, and have a permanent Tues off, have recently reduced my hours to 32 having Tues & Thurs and every other weekend off; but this is now reverting back to one day off a week and 39 hours for the season (I work at BQ so our peak trading season is from now really too Oct). From my choice.

Working hours normaly....6.30am - 4.00ish...sometimes stay longer if I am in the midst of something. Do the occasional late ie 12.30 - 9.30 or 10-7 or 11-8, can depend on if cover is needed. Have to say they are very flexible with my working hours with hospital appointments....etc etc as long as I do the hours in a month they do not mind...which is great.

Twice a year we have stocktake which includes an overnight or late into the night but that is my choice no one is forced.

janey83
08-02-2009, 01:04 PM
I have 2 jobs.

My first job: Working in Tesco as a cleaner, I start work at 6am till 10am everyday only have Friday off.

My second job: Im a 'Visual Merchandiser' for a company called Icon (head office is in west Sussex), they have the costume jewellery stands in Asda, Bon Marche, Sainsburys, Tesco n Superdrug. I do 12hrs a week on Tues, Thurs and Sat in Asda and I do an hr in Tesco on those same days.

Mon, Wed, Sun - 6am - 10am
Tue, Thurs, Sat - 6am - 3pm
Fri - Off (I cherish that day lol)

I dont get a propper dinner break either, just 2 half hour breaks where I eat a chunky Kitkat lol, pffft.

Kazz
08-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Bet that makes life quite interesting having such different roles at work Janey

Natalie
08-02-2009, 01:25 PM
I work 30 hours per week. Shifts are 7.30 - 15.00, 12.00 - 20.30 and 20.00 - 08.00. I do night shifts every month or so. I work as a Staff Nurse and currently hate my job and in desperate need of something else.

Kazz
08-02-2009, 02:04 PM
That terrible Natalie do you hate the hours or the hospital or the work?

pinklizzy
08-02-2009, 02:23 PM
I work 8.15-6.30 three days a week with two half days either 8.15-1.30 or 1.00-6.30 on different days most weeks and two Saturday mornings a month.
Usually though I don't leave work before 7pm and we have 1/2 hr for lunch. Not too bad although it can be very tiring depending on the number of animals in etc.

Natalie
08-02-2009, 02:23 PM
That terrible Natalie do you hate the hours or the hospital or the work?

I hate the hours. 13 years of shift work and im fed up of it as it's not great for family life. I hate the job now too because the NHS has changed drastically in the last 10 years and not for the better. There is so much pressure now with paperwork and people trying to claim compensation and take you to court etc it's really not worth the grief for the pay that we get and are not appreciated by our managers at all.

Rant over lol

Kazz
08-02-2009, 02:54 PM
What d you want to do then Natalie...surely with your experience you could diversify into most fields?

MrsH
08-02-2009, 04:18 PM
I no longer work but as a Head of Year and languages teacher at a comprehensive school, I worked from 8-5 every day during term-time, every week there was at least one late evening for meetings/ parents' evenings etc. I used to do my marking and report writing at home in the evenings and weekends.

I also spent 3 days every half-term and at Easter in school, catching up on paperwork and at least 2 weeks during the Summer break as well. It used to surprise some parents when I phoned them during the holidays, but others were annoyed if they couldn't reach me, however unreasonable the hour. It was not unusual to get voice-mail messages timed at 9pm or on a Sunday!

I don't miss it!! (although I do miss the pupils - loveable teenagers on the whole!)

Natalie
08-02-2009, 04:24 PM
I really don't know what I want to do to be honest. I have applied for a job in a doctors surgery but don't think I will even be shortlisted as I don't have all the qualifications they require.

Could do with a change of career again but still unsure of what and it would probs mean a pay cut too.

dandysmom
08-02-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm retired now, but when I was working in Accounting, hours were 9 to 5, Monday thru Friday, with an hour for lunch. A few years before the company was sold we offered flex time, so I changed to 8 to 4. The 4 years I was at the doctors' office hours were again 9 to 5, only 1/2 hour lunch. And often had to stay past 5 if the doctor on duty was running late. Happened frequently.

Retirement is MUCH nicer!

Kim
08-02-2009, 09:06 PM
Since we started fostering, 15 months ago, I have reduced the hours I work. I now work Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 8.30 - 3.30. Before we fostered I worked those hours Mon-Fri, PLUS I worked Friday nights 9pm - 7am, as a Marie Curie HCA. Although I miss the Marie Curie, I just couldn't go back to those hours.

Tanya
08-02-2009, 09:23 PM
I get to work at 8am and usually stay until atleast 5pm, sometimes 6. I spend my lunch hour setting up the classroom and I take marking and paperwork home. I don't generally do any work at home on the weekend, but I can stay up til 11pm some week day evenings doing preparation!

calismum
08-02-2009, 09:37 PM
I work 35 hours per week Mon - Fri. On flexible working so can start any time after 8am and finish up to 6pm. As long as I work core 10-12 and 2-4 over 5 days. I can work from home, on occassion if needed. As long as I do 140 hours over 4 weeks I can, within reason, Suit myself. If I work over I can have a 'flexiday' once every 8 weeks which is great if I'm needed at home.

Erin
09-02-2009, 08:51 AM
It depends on which service user im working with,but my hours go something like this -
Service user 1 - 10am till 5pm
Service user 2 - 9am till 1pm then 5pm to 10pm
Service user 3 - 5.30pm till 10pm or 6.30pm till 11pm
Service user 4 (a new service user who i start supporting next month) 8pm till 3pm or 3pm till 10pm,or 3pm untill 3pm the following day,these hours include a sleep in night,im really not looking it! I would much rather do wake in nights!

yola
09-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Technically, I work 0900 to 1630 Monday to Thursday.

However, I usually get back onto email or write in the evenings when the boys are in bed. Because OH and I work together and (obviously) live together there is very little 'time off' because even if we're not actually working we are discussing work-related things and looking through figures/marketing/etc.

fancyabrew
09-02-2009, 02:08 PM
normally get in 8:45 leave at 16:55 work flexi so can pretty much come and go as I want, can have 1.5 days off a month on flexi to add to the 30 AL

meep
09-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Work 9 - 5, Mon - Fri with one hour lunch break. Work hours are flexible, so I can work through lunch and finish at 4, or work a half day and then make up the extra hours by working till 7 other nights (very handy for hair appointments!) Do have to work some weekends and travel /stay over night for events we do. But I like it on the whole, consistency but with flexibility and some variation!

Nat, that does sound such a drag :( Good luck with finding something else. I really don't know what advice to give on where you could look to next; potentially an entirely new career path?!

angieh
09-02-2009, 04:31 PM
I would be too embarrassed to put the actual hours I work, in the light of all you very hard-working people. I have done it in the past though (in mitigation!).

mattde
09-02-2009, 07:38 PM
I work for myself, everything I.T and photography.
I work when my clients need me :-) , I stop answering my phone after 9 at night and before 8:00 in the morning.

EmmaG
09-02-2009, 09:53 PM
I work 8-4 with half an hour lunch - Monday - Friday