PDA

View Full Version : Are you a scraper or a sprayer

Kazz
06-01-2009, 11:42 AM
This has just come into my mind as I went out to start the car as the weather is chilly and ice on cars I wonder are you a scraper of windscreens or a sprayer of deicer...or do you turn on the warm air blower onto the windscreen? ...

I park in the back garden one of the only pluses of that is I can start the engine and put the blowers on and come in the house and wait...or eat my toast.

dinahsmum
06-01-2009, 11:59 AM
.... and they say that's a good way to get your car pinched Kazz. Some scummer comes along and voila!, car warm, keys in the dash. He gets your house keys as well, so you have to get your locks changed :?
There was a horrible case of a woman run down by a theif stealing her car in just this was, a little before xmas. She was seriously injured but is progressing.

And on that merry note ............

yola
06-01-2009, 12:28 PM
I tend to just let the hot air clear the windscreen . . . this morning it was so thick though and I was in a bit of a hurry so I scraped with my library card :oops:

DM - we had a similar incident, some chap has his boxster stolen . . . the scum that did it then crashed it into a parked car that had a newborn baby in it :shock: thankfully the baby was OK.

I park my car in the back too, however I suspect that Karen has gates whereas I do not!

Mags
06-01-2009, 01:15 PM
My hubby is a scraper and a hot air person.......he has loads of cans of de-icer too but rarely uses them..:roll:

mattde
06-01-2009, 01:44 PM
I defrost the car for the other half, I use the scraper and some spray combo. The other half dont like me using all the spray , she thinks I'm wasteful with things like this.
She also thinks I use too much mr muscle in the kitchen lol.
This morning we had ice on the inside and outside of the windscreen. Roll on spring :-)

Moli
06-01-2009, 02:00 PM
I am a sprayer, somethimes a hot hair too...

Elaine
06-01-2009, 05:16 PM
I use the lot, scraper, de-icer and blowers.

calismum
06-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Have to admit I turn it on and use hot air plus heated windscreen. We are pretty out the way so no one really passes unless they are going up the road or visiting. Usually hang about with a coffee just in case tho'!!!!

dandysmom
06-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Public transportation users don't have to worry about that: my bus comes already scraped! :-D

Kim
06-01-2009, 05:57 PM
I've heard about people nicking cars while people are de-icing them too - scumbags! Luckily we are pretty out of the way too, in a cul-de-sac. I tend to use a combination of the hot air and scraping. Would never use de-icer, a littel bit is fatal to cats and as it is sweet tasting they are attracted to it. :(

yola
06-01-2009, 06:29 PM
I didn't know that Kim :shock: I don't like using it because it's an uneccessary (for me) chemical, but the fact that it's toxic is even more reason not to spray!

Tanya
06-01-2009, 06:46 PM
I use spray. The easiest and by far the most effective way for me. I dont stand around long enough for the toxins to have an effect on me!! ;)

Kazz
06-01-2009, 08:28 PM
You are right Yola. I do have gates great big 6ft+ gates which are padlocked and I only open the gates when I drive out.

Moli
06-01-2009, 08:30 PM
I have gates too, and a long drive, so can leave the car running....

PoshPuss
06-01-2009, 08:38 PM
A liitle story for you! I was called out last week (Sat night 3am) and it was icy so I covered the windscreen with an old towel whilst I parked up outside the hospital. After the birth etc I went outside to find the towel gone, not blown off , just nicked! Some saddo took it, hope his need was greater than mine, but I blessed him a penny whilst I scraped off at 5:30 am !!

la bing
06-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Im a heated windsreen man my self, they are awsome! How ever when i get to work i have a coach to defrost:evil:

yola
06-01-2009, 08:47 PM
PP - that's despicable :evil:

La Bing (loving the name btw) . . . a coach? Wow, that must take some scraping ;)

Kim
07-01-2009, 12:31 AM
I didn't know that Kim :shock: I don't like using it because it's an uneccessary (for me) chemical, but the fact that it's toxic is even more reason not to spray!

I did a google search and this is what is says about anti-freeze Yola. I would rather scrape the car in sub-zero temperatures than risk this happening. :( (sorry font is so small)

Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) is the most common winter poison danger, and can be fatal to companion animals, wildlife, and even children. Most commercial antifreeze contains ethylene glycol that has a sweet taste many dogs and cats can smell at a distance and will actively seek out. A tiny amount can be fatal -- less than two ounces is enough to kill a dog, one teaspoon enough to kill a cat, and as little as two tablespoons can be hazardous to a small child. Most companion animals -- and wildlife -- will rapidly drink many times the fatal dose. The first symptom is acting "drunk" -- staggering, vomiting, copious drinking, and urination, often followed by a period of apparent recovery. One to three days later, there will be signs of kidney failure such as not eating, depression, vomiting, dehydration, coma and eventually death. If you are even a little suspicious that your companion animal has consumed antifreeze, see your veterinarian immediately. Early detection can save a life. Treatment must be started within hours to prevent irreversible and fatal kidney damage. Fortunately, antifreeze poisoning is totally preventable. A small amount of diligence and effort can save lives: Dispose of drained antifreeze properly, in an environmentally safe manner. Before dumping it in sewers and septic tanks, make sure it's safe and legal to do so. Don't leave an antifreeze container open, even for a minute. A minute is all it takes for an animal -- or a child -- to drink a lethal dose. If possible, hose down and dilute boil-overs. If it is still green, it is still toxic! Store concentrated antifreeze in tight containers, out of reach of animals and children. Repair leaky car radiators, hoses, and water pumps. Use a non-toxic antifreeze, such as Sierra, which contains propylene glycol. This substance can still cause illness, especially in cats, but is far less dangerous than ethylene glycol.

la bing
07-01-2009, 07:54 PM
La Bing (loving the name btw) . . . a coach? Wow, that must take some scraping ;)

Its not to bad if the gaffer aint arround. Just fire it up and go back in the brew room:lol: He doent like wasteing fuel you see. So if he is arround, im afraid its anti freeze.:( Horrid stuff i know, but we dont have a choice..

As for the user name, its part of Teds Nickname lol

Natalie
07-01-2009, 11:38 PM
I'm a tepid water girl. Not hot enough to crack the windscren but warm enough to melt the ice in a jiffy :-)