PDA

View Full Version : Weepy eye in longhaired rescue

Phoenix
05-12-2008, 09:23 PM
A cat (Ellie) at our local rescue centre has a weepy eye. Other volunteers know and it has been documented for dealing with by the people who ferry the cats to and from the vets, but I'd like to know what could be causing her eye to run like it is. The moisture is like tears and doesn't appear to bother her until we try to clean it away (then she resists a little)

Any ideas? It's in her right eye in the corner (where the pink bit is on cats eyes) :?

There's also a young, very thin cat (Smartie, 2 and a half years old) who's depressed we think.

EDIT: Forgot to say Ellie's age, she's E-I-G-H-T years old (for that read e-i-g-h-t years young)

dandysmom
05-12-2008, 10:02 PM
Have the vets looked at it? Eight's not old, Leia will be 10 next Spring!

yola
05-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Is it oozing pus? If not, it could simply be an overactive tear duct. My persians need their eyes wiping twice a day (well, Myshka does :shock: ) but there's nothing wrong with him or his eyes.

Of course it's best to get the vet to look Ellie over, but in terms of her struggling when you're wiping her eye; again - it could be she's not used to the contact and is simply afraid.

dandysmom
05-12-2008, 11:48 PM
Is it oozing pus? If not, it could simply be an overactive tear duct. My persians need their eyes wiping twice a day (well, Myshka does :shock: ) but there's nothing wrong with him or his eyes.

Of course it's best to get the vet to look Ellie over, but in terms of her struggling when you're wiping her eye; again - it could be she's not used to the contact and is simply afraid.

Leia never has an eye problem but sometimes she'll get a bit of darkish looking gunk (scientific term!) in one eye, and resists wildly at having it wiped...not used to it!

Tina
06-12-2008, 02:27 AM
Miw quite often gets weepy eyes, usually if it's clear and the eye doesn't look irritated then it's not an infection......but the vet would need to confirm that. Most cats don't like having their eyes wiped, however, Miw LOVES it......I use a hint my grandmother gave me and wipe her eyes with a cooled (but still slightly warm) tea bag after making tea. It's actually quite good for their eyes if they're a little irritated........but not advisable to use on a white cat as it can stain the fur for a few days LOL!

Elaine
06-12-2008, 07:19 PM
There's also a young, very thin cat (Smartie, 2 and a half years old) who's depressed we think.

EDIT: Forgot to say Ellie's age, she's E-I-G-H-T years old (for that read e-i-g-h-t years young)

A mere youngster, not old at all.

Whats Smarties story? He will be depressed if he is malnourished etc. Has the vet checked him over? That would be the first thing.

Phoenix
06-12-2008, 07:42 PM
[/B]

A mere youngster, not old at all.

Whats Smarties story? He will be depressed if he is malnourished etc. Has the vet checked him over? That would be the first thing.

Smartie's owners were evicted and Smartie and her friends were evicted as well (indoor only cats). Smartie's female.

Ellie's been rehomed now, the liquid seemed very runny but now it's up to her new owners to take her to the vets.

Elaine
06-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Smartie's owners were evicted and Smartie and her friends were evicted as well (indoor only cats). Smartie's female.

Ellie's been rehomed now, the liquid seemed very runny but now it's up to her new owners to take her to the vets.

Very sad.:(
Is all her friends at the rescue aswell?

Kim
06-12-2008, 11:18 PM
My disabled cat, Sidney has a constantly runny eye, we took him to the vets and tried various drops and creams. The vet thought it must be a blocked tear duct, so he was booked in to have them unblocked, only to discover he hasn't got any!!! Bless him.

Phoenix
07-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Very sad.:(
Is all her friends at the rescue aswell?

There were three of them, one's with her and the other one's since got rehomed.

truthisouthere
08-12-2008, 12:42 PM
My disabled cat, Sidney has a constantly runny eye, we took him to the vets and tried various drops and creams. The vet thought it must be a blocked tear duct, so he was booked in to have them unblocked, only to discover he hasn't got any!!! Bless him.
Ahhh. that would be why then! The eye's making up for lack of tear duct perhaps. Bless your special needs boy!!