PDA

View Full Version : Culture shock...

Moli
24-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Things are so totally different over here, most of the big shops are open till 10pm at night, they have different names for things, very laid back way of living.....I am managing to suss the currency out just! use 10 or 20 dollar bills, do not ask me to use anything smaller though...
But I am luckier than most visitors, have DM if I get stuck!!;) ;)
Its funny seeing christmas decorations, when the weather is so hot too...:)
There is a huge shop just along the road, its called a pharmacy, but sells everything and anything, and is open 24hours too....
Oh and the water here is brilliant, my hair has never been so shiney!!;)

alexgirl73
24-11-2008, 10:59 PM
lol, you'll have to bottle some of the water and bring it back with you :lol: Sounds like you're having a great time.

dandysmom
24-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Things are so totally different over here, most of the big shops are open till 10pm at night, they have different names for things, very laid back way of living.....I am managing to suss the currency out just! use 10 or 20 dollar bills, do not ask me to use anything smaller though...
But I am luckier than most visitors, have DM if I get stuck!!;) ;)
Its funny seeing christmas decorations, when the weather is so hot too...:)
There is a huge shop just along the road, its called a pharmacy, but sells everything and anything, and is open 24hours too....
Oh and the water here is brilliant, my hair has never been so shiney!!;)

Most cities do have all night pharmacys and do sell the most amazing selection of things...I suspect most of the income comes from non-pharmacy items! None of my local supermarkets sell the small one pound Danish Plumrose hams so I always buy mine at ...the pharmacy! :-D

Mags
24-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Are you able to get any photos on here yet Moli? We'd love to see where you are...:D

Moli
24-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Are you able to get any photos on here yet Moli? We'd love to see where you are...:D

I was going to take some today, but.......left my camera in the glove box in the car, and Hubbys taken it to work..:roll:

Kazz
24-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Hang on a pharmacy is a chemist......why would you buy ham at a chemist..unless Ham is not ham?????????????

Mags
25-11-2008, 12:01 AM
Hang on a pharmacy is a chemist......why would you buy ham at a chemist..unless Ham is not ham?????????????
It could be "cured" ham, Kazz ;)

dandysmom
25-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Kazz, "pharmacy" here is more of a general purchase store with a pharmacy counter. Food, except produce, watches, cameras, socks, greeting cards and wrapping paper,
magazines and books, cosmetics, cat and dog food, envelopes, batteries, file folders...I could go on and on!

Moli
25-11-2008, 02:12 PM
It could be "cured" ham, Kazz ;)

:roll: :roll: :lol:

Moli
25-11-2008, 02:13 PM

As DM says its more like a general store, so you can get your perscription along with a pair of socks!!!Its brilliant, all under one roof...:)

angieh
25-11-2008, 03:11 PM
It is a different way of doing things, isn't it? In our area, we have several small dispensing chemists or pharmacies that only otherwise sell otc medicines and a limited choice of toiletries. Because the big Tesco store about 5 miles away also has a pharmacy counter, I and other local residents feel that we must use our nearest small chemist in order to keep it open. There is always a queue and you actually have to wait ages to have your medicines dispensed and they won't allow you to collect your medicines unless the pharmacist is on the premises! The supermarket would be much quicker and more convenient, but we feel obliged to use the chemist. Daft, eh?

Moli
25-11-2008, 05:06 PM
I have sussed the shoe sizes out at last!!!a UK 5 is a USA 7!!!all i have o do now is suss out what is USA equivelent for a size 12!!

dinahsmum
25-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Prob an 8-10 Moli
Good luck!

Mags
25-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Here you are Moli ;)

http://www.usatourist.com/english/tips/Womens-Sizes.html

Moli
25-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Here you are Moli ;)

http://www.usatourist.com/english/tips/Womens-Sizes.html

Thanks Mags, now I know what to look for;)

Moli
26-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Prob an 8-10 Moli
Good luck!

You were spot on DM...A size 10, which is what I am in trousers is a size 6:shock: :shock: I could not even get one leg in a size 6 UK...:lol: sure makes you feel slim:lol:
I spoke to Dandysmom yesterday, so nice to actually speak to her, rather than type...

dandysmom
26-11-2008, 05:19 PM
You were spot on DM...A size 10, which is what I am in trousers is a size 6:shock: :shock: I could not even get one leg in a size 6 UK...:lol: sure makes you feel slim:lol:
I spoke to Dandysmom yesterday, so nice to actually speak to her, rather than type...

We had a lovely chat; only the second Catsey person I've talked to; did speak with Tom when he was in Florida in August. It was really nice to have a natter about all sorts of things!
But Leia refused to purr into the phone for her....

Mags
26-11-2008, 07:50 PM
How nice to get to talk to Eileen, Moli ......what a pity you are too far away from her to visit :(

Moli
26-11-2008, 07:58 PM
How nice to get to talk to Eileen, Moli ......what a pity you are too far away from her to visit :(

It is a shame Mags, but at least we can chat on the phone while I am here.....
Typical, I come all the way over here, and Princess Leia will not purr for me!:roll: :roll: :lol:

dandysmom
26-11-2008, 08:44 PM
LOL ! Leia is not quite in the Diva class, but will not perform upon request!