PDA

View Full Version : Long line at the polls!

dandysmom
04-11-2008, 04:32 PM
This was my precinct this morning at about 8:45 am. Several of you expressed surprise at our long waits; thought I'd post a few pics! The average wait was a little over an hour ....

http://www.catsey.com/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN1816.jpg%5B/IMG%5D
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN1816.jpg

http://www.catsey.com/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN1820.jpg%5B/IMG%5D
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN1820.jpg

http://www.catsey.com/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN1821.jpg%5B/IMG%5D
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d117/dandysmom/Non%20Cat/DSCN1821.jpg

dinahsmum
04-11-2008, 04:38 PM
:shock:
An hour!
What happens when the polls close DM? Do they process all those queuing at the appointed hour or do they turn some away?

angieh
04-11-2008, 04:40 PM
I don't think I've ever had to queue to vote. That's one thing I would like us to copy from U.S. - their enthusiasm to vote. I think the apathy we have over here is so disappointing.

yola
04-11-2008, 04:40 PM
They take plackards with them to vote??? :shock:

I have to say, there is no way on this earth that I would stand in a queue like that to VOTE :roll:

dandysmom
04-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Anyone in line at the time the polls close is allowed to vote. Not to be waving the flag, but voting isn't a duty. it's an honor and privilege!~ Sure I hate waiting in line, but gotta do it! Now the long wait for the results to start trickling in after the polls close......

Oh, forgot to say placards, etc. are allowed a certain distance from the polling place. But you cannot enter the voting area wearing a candidate's button or tee shirt.....

Natalie
04-11-2008, 04:55 PM
They take plackards with them to vote??? :shock:

I have to say, there is no way on this earth that I would stand in a queue like that to VOTE :roll:

Ditto!

My husband is all geared up for tonight. He has an assortment of food and drink and a map of all the states to tick off as the results come flooding in.

dinahsmum
04-11-2008, 04:57 PM
As I said yesterday I think the 'Small State' mentality makes the difference and means that there simply aren't as many polling stations or polling staff over your side of the pond. I wonder what the average number of pollers per station is? I'll try and find out during the course of the day.

DM - we expect 75% plus turnout at a General Election, and that's of the total electorate/public - we don't have to 'pre-register' to vote, just fill in a form every autumn, or if we move house.

Does it take a long time to process each voter? It takes 10 seconds here - go in, give your name and address (no ID required, but heaven help you if you cheat - Personation carries a heavy penalty, and doesn't happen), get your ballot paper, go to a booth, use the 'stubby pencil (an item of great affection by many here), mark a cross, bung it in the box and bingo - you're done.

I can't see us taking to voting machines

dandysmom
04-11-2008, 05:15 PM
As I said yesterday I think the 'Small State' mentality makes the difference and means that there simply aren't as many polling stations or polling staff over your side of the pond. I wonder what the average number of pollers per station is? I'll try and find out during the course of the day.

DM - we expect 75% plus turnout at a General Election, and that's of the total electorate/public - we don't have to 'pre-register' to vote, just fill in a form every autumn, or if we move house.

Does it take a long time to process each voter? It takes 10 seconds here - go in, give your name and address (no ID required, but heaven help you if you cheat - Personation carries a heavy penalty, and doesn't happen), get your ballot paper, go to a booth, use the 'stubby pencil (an item of great affection by many here), mark a cross, bung it in the box and bingo - you're done.

I can't see us taking to voting machines

We use paper ballots and the well known stubby pencil here in DC, not voting machines. When you go in, there's a series of clerks waiting at a long table: A to F, G to M, etc; you go to your part of the alphabet, the clerk passes the registration book to you and you sign. No ID required. You then get your ballot, go to the booth, mark it, drop it in the sealed box and leave...

dinahsmum
04-11-2008, 05:18 PM
That shouldn't take too long then - there must just be high numbers at each station.

Just a thought, and I don't want to discourage you, but, no matter who you vote for, the government always gets in! :roll: :) ;)

meep
04-11-2008, 05:26 PM
That's very impressive. I think it's great so many people have shown up to vote. I particularly like Australlia's system, where it is illegal not to vote. I think everyone should make use of their vote. Hope you didn't have to queue too long DM!

dandysmom
04-11-2008, 05:28 PM
That shouldn't take too long then - there must just be high numbers at each station.

Just a thought, and I don't want to discourage you, but, no matter who you vote for, the government always gets in! :roll: :) ;)

:smt005 Yes, the actual voting takes no time at all, it's the long wait to get inside to vote! And we're not just voting for President, members of the City Council who are up for reelection, and ANC commissioners, also non-voting delegate to Congress. But if you've studied your sample ballot for your Ward, you already know, so it's quick. More than you wanted to know? :-D And many of the States have questions on the ballot, like Maryland which is voting to legalize/not legalize slots, and California, voting on a ban on gay marriage....lots of issues in different States.

dinahsmum
04-11-2008, 05:32 PM
I find it fascinating but that's because I've done all the things, poll station, organising stations, counting etc.
I know about the various State 'Propositions' too.
I'll no doubt learn more as I watch TV this evening. I haven't watched any yet

btw - i was in Florida (not holiday) in December 2000. Had a great time teasing folks there and offering to help with a re-run.

alexgirl73
04-11-2008, 06:12 PM
wow, that's impressive Eileen. I'm so used to the polling stations being like a morgue whenever I go to vote lol.

dandysmom
04-11-2008, 10:00 PM
I don't know if I'd go as far as Australia and make it illegal not to vote (didn't know that!). but I do think we should change Election Day to a weekend, or if not, make it a national Holiday so people wouldn't have to make excuses for not voting. Most companies allow you to be a bit late or leave a bit early to vote, but some Scrooges don't ......

Fran
04-11-2008, 10:31 PM
I never vote. What's the point?! Doesn't matter who gets into power, they are absolute rubbish :roll: and I would NEVER queue up to vote even if I had the inclination to want to vote! Hope the outcome is one you want Eileen :)

dandysmom
04-11-2008, 10:51 PM
:-D Well, Yola, I assume you know from my posts over the years that I'm a liberal Democrat; never have, never will vote Republican, so all I can say is that it's looking promising for my side now....as the saying goes, It's not over till the fat lady sings!

calismum
05-11-2008, 12:33 AM
Incredible photos DM, I don't think I've ever seen a queue to vote over here. THere does tend to be a great deal of apathy here.

Our TV stations are all covering American election night. Some channels covering live from now until Alaska has voted at 6am tomorrow (our time)

The newsman has just said some stations had queues that meant a wait of over three hours!

alexgirl73
05-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Well, a day I never thought I'd see, a black president!!! huge congrats to Barack Obama, and here's hoping for a productive and safe 4 years for him.

Natalie
05-11-2008, 10:24 AM
Well, a day I never thought I'd see, a black president!!! huge congrats to Barack Obama, and here's hoping for a productive and safe 4 years for him.

Here here.

Fantastic news although I do worry now for his safety. To see Jessie Jackson cry brought a tear to the eye.

dinahsmum
05-11-2008, 10:24 AM
With the emphasis on safe.

Well done US of A. I watched quite a lot of the coverage, saw McCain's gracious speech and heard Obama. I am greatly heartened by the interviews with ordinary folks and I think it has taken till now, now I can finally dare to believe it, rather than not dare to hope for fear of being disappointed, to totally appreciate what a historic day this is and what a potentially healing event for the whole nation.
Maybe the republicans will go away and have a think about their future and their outlook. How can a party which winges so much about state interference also support the petty-minded restrictions on personal freedoms and side with the religious fundementalists? They will need to prepare themselves as a political party, rather than a tut-tutting, if you're not with us you're against us, tight little coven.

Not exactly the best time to take over the country but all the best to Obama. I hope there is plenty of grit and substance behind that uber-calm and authoritative exterior.

meep
05-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Fantastic news, although I also agree, he needs to stay safe. Not the best time to inherit the presedential seat, here's hoping he can pull America through and reinstall some faith in all of us across the globe.

yola
05-11-2008, 10:43 AM
I think the world has breathed a collective sigh of relief this morning. I do hope this is a new chapter of genuine openness and interest in the world at large - collaboration rather than confrontation and aggression. I think we call all (politically) welcome the USA back with open arms :D

dinahsmum
05-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Apparently secret servicemen apprehended someone trying to scale the perimeter fence at The White House yesterday :shock: They managed to catch him and said "You can't leave till January 20, Mr Bush, sir"

angieh
05-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Well done USA!

angieh
05-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Apparently secret servicemen apprehended someone trying to scale the perimeter fence at The White House yesterday :shock: They managed to catch him and said "You can't leave till January 20, Mr Bush, sir"

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

alexgirl73
05-11-2008, 01:01 PM

:smt005 :smt005

Very good DM!!

dandysmom
05-11-2008, 05:25 PM

:smt005 :smt005

Well, the good guys won! :D I'm happy...not ecstatic and dancing in the streets as I would have done if Senator Clinton had won ..... but very relieved we can get this country turned around and start repairing the damage to our image that the years of the Bush administration caused, A historic triumph over racism! Sexism is still alive and well, however ...:(