PDA

View Full Version : When to let him out

Natalie
04-11-2008, 03:19 PM
How long is it advised that you keep your new cat (not kitten) in to settle within your new home before you let it out into the big outdoors.

Merlin is getting twitchy and loves to sit upstairs on the girls window sills staring at his 'new patch' but as he was a stray I am very reluctant for a while.

Any tips?

yola
04-11-2008, 03:32 PM
Was he a 'local' stray? I.e., does he know the area? If so, you could probably let him out now as we'll be on his own turf, however if not I would leave him for a little longer.

smudgley
04-11-2008, 03:33 PM
6 weeks.........

dinahsmum
04-11-2008, 03:40 PM
...at least.
And make sure he's very hungry when he goes, that he knows his name is Merlin and that he runs towards the sound of a fork on a cat dish or shaken cat biscuits.
I'd say sometime early 2009, when the excitement of you-know-what is out of the way

Natalie
04-11-2008, 03:45 PM
He was found about 3 miles away.

No chance of leaving him hungry, that's an easy one as he ALWAYS is.

He doesn't know his name yet so that's not good.

meep
04-11-2008, 05:20 PM
I would definately keep him in. If he's been a stray he will be itching to get out, and probably yowl and beg to get out, and try his hardest to run out the door when it's open, but cat's can get very disorientated very easily. It sounds like he won't know the area too well.

Wait till after New Year, make sure he's extra hungry and knows, if not his name, then a 'noise' like 'pswpswpsw' or the kissy noise, and then go out with him.

Just give him lots of love till then :)

Jasmine
05-11-2008, 09:06 PM
I had a 12 year mold rescue cat in July - kept him in for 3 weeks, the took him in the garden every day on a harness and lead (which he did not mind) then found my courage and let him out by himself - the 1st day he did not leave the garden, day after just sat on the shed - it was much easier than I expected but of course not all cats are the same

dandysmom
05-11-2008, 10:56 PM
I agree with all of the above...better later than sooner!