PDA

View Full Version : The Five Freedoms

Phoenix
08-10-2008, 08:39 PM
I've been learning about the five freedoms this morning at college. The five freedoms are:

Freedom from Hunger and Thirst

Freedom from Discomfort

Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease

Freedom to Express Normal Behaviour

Freedom from Fear and Distress

I don't really understand one of them though, the freedom from pain, injury and disease. I think you all know about Beauty's health problems with her kidneys, but could I get into trouble with anyone for Beauty's kidneys? We took her to the vets as soon as we knew there was something going on, but would that count as denying her one of the five freedoms? I'm confused :?

Moli
08-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Freedom from pain, injury and disease means to have the animal treated by a vet......Not allowing them to suffer....

Phoenix
08-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Freedom from pain, injury and disease means to have the animal treated by a vet......

Well, as soon as we were aware of something up with Beauty we got her down there so I take it that wouldn't count as denying her a freedom.?

Moli
08-10-2008, 08:44 PM
Well, as soon as we were aware of something up with Beauty we got her down there so I take it that wouldn't count as denying her a freedom.?

No you did not deny her the treatment she needed RCR....:)

Phoenix
08-10-2008, 08:47 PM
No you did not deny her the treatment she needed RCR....:)

*collapses from relief*
I was nearly panicking for the rest of the day because I though that I was denying Beauty a freedom! :shock: :lol:

Moli
08-10-2008, 08:49 PM
*collapses from relief*
I was nearly panicking for the rest of the day because I though that I was denying Beauty a freedom! :shock: :lol:

You are only denying her it if you had not taken her to the vet, and she was suffering because of it....;)

Phoenix
08-10-2008, 08:51 PM
You are only denying her it if you had not taken her to the vet, and she was suffering because of it....;)

Thanks for clearing that one up Moli! :-D

HappyKatz
08-10-2008, 08:53 PM
RCR, you are doing a great job with Beauty :)
You are giving her the best life & lots of love. You aren't denying her of anything.
You have all 5 freedoms covered & thank you for sharing them with us :cat27

Phoenix
08-10-2008, 08:55 PM
RCR, you are doing a great job with Beauty :)
You are giving her the best life & lots of love. You aren't denying her of anything.
You have all 5 freedoms covered & thank you for sharing them with us :cat27

Maybe Mags could sticky this thread so's everyone can see the five freedoms when she sees this ...

Leaving it up to her though, and I'm going to give Beauty some tuna in a minute.