PDA

View Full Version : If you could change..............

Mags
27-09-2008, 05:44 PM
.................... or improve one thing about the city, town or village where you live, what would it be?

dandysmom
27-09-2008, 08:06 PM
This will come as no surprise, I guess: improve the public transportation!!!! Manage somehow for the buses to run on time and not in packs, so you miss three at once and then wait half an hour or better for the next one!! Not gonna happen, (sigh) ......

pinklizzy
27-09-2008, 08:33 PM
I'd change the amount of jobs available for my OH in this area, he hates his current job and the pay is awful. If he could change jobs we could afford to move to a bigger house and extend the family ;)

Elaine
27-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Hmm now let me see, I think top of the list would
be to irradicate the city of junkies and aggressive drunks.

angieh
27-09-2008, 11:48 PM
I would go for some public transport - that would help a lot. I THINK there is a bus, but how often, and where it goes is a mystery! Information like that should be available to all. If you don't drive (or if your car is off the road) it is too far for me to walk to the nearest shop, although the pub is just over the road ...............

dinahsmum
28-09-2008, 10:16 AM
I would do the same as is needed in virtually every town in Britain - quieten the through traffic and widen the pavements. It would be so nice to be able to stop and talk on meeting friends without blocking everyone; for two prams or wheelchairs to pass easily; and to hear yourself think above the traffic. It would also be soooo lovely for the cafes to have a few tables outside in the good weather.

Kazz
28-09-2008, 05:41 PM
H you come back and I remember why I love ya! like I d all ways looking on the bright side... It would also be soooo lovely for the cafes to have a few tables outside in the good weather. You live in a happy world where I hope to be soon.

Kazz
28-09-2008, 05:43 PM
I would change the way we turn the cities now into shoppping centres as opposed to high streets with a variety of shops...but imaine thats to late now. Bringing back, post office bakers, butchers, greengrocers etc and less supermarkets

PoshPuss
28-09-2008, 06:28 PM
I'd get to grips with the terrible litter-louts that have made our lovely valley a tip!
The bypass road from our town via the retail park is a shocking sight, KFC wrappers and drinks cartons thrown on to the grass verges. Plastic bags and other debris, like paper bags and bottles. The wind blows them into the trees and they hang there for months.
The council sends out teams of litter pickers from time to time but it's a pointless exercise as people think it's ok to drop stuff.
There just doesn't seem to be pride in the place anymore.:(

yola
28-09-2008, 07:52 PM
1. Like Karen, I'd try and reverse the trend of 'homogenisation' of the high street. Bring back smaller, independent shops that sell quality products. Not expensive deli-type places, but just ordinary food stores (not supermarkets or low-quality, high cost 'corner' shops).

2. Like Elaine, get rid of all the junkies and street drinkers. They're really trying in Reading. Have drink exclusion zones etc but it needs more careful policing.

3. And my bug-bear; bring back family housing into town/city centres. Everything - certainly in Reading and similar towns - is focused on young singles/couples who are happy to live in flats.That equals a (usually) rental and therefore transiet population.

Bring back green spaces and HOUSES with gardens so children can be brought up in towns rather than dormitory suburbs and can get a love of urban living rather than fearing town centres outside of the ubiquitous 'mall' :roll:

Phoenix
28-09-2008, 08:07 PM
I'd increase the number of times the buses run. Here we get one bus an hour, where as in Hull they get loads of different buses going all over and yet they still want more! (No offense to those living in Hull reading this)

meep
30-09-2008, 10:18 AM
I adore living in Glasgow. I love the West End: the architecture, the huge parks, there's so much to see and do. But I do so hate the NEDS! I know across Britain there is a variation called 'Chavs', but honestly, the Neds in Glasgow are one of a kind and need to be experience to be believed. This ties in with the state the centre of town gets into on a Friday and Saturday night. Spilt chips, vomit everywhere, girls crawling around on the filthy streets in teeny, tiny skirts and boob tubes, men out for what they can get trying to take home the nearest said girl on pavement. It just sickens me.

I hate to sound like a snob, but ship 'em all of to an island somewhere and Glasgow would improve ten-fold!