PDA

View Full Version : For Chaska, a fighter till the end

meep
01-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Chaska, my little 7 year old girl, has finally come to rest.

We found her as a 2 day old kitten, abondoned by her feral mum in November 2000. We raised her by hand: bottle fed her, helped her use the litter tray, treated her cat flu, watched her take her first steps and grow into a beautiful but very small cat.

She was always the 'wee one'; definately the runt of a litter, and always very petite and delicate, yet she had mastered catching adult rabbits in no time and often tried to play-fight with our older cat Sophie (much to Sophie's discontent!)

She was a wildcat at heart, always out in the garden and neighbouring fields stalking rabbits, and bringing them home only to leave the ears! Yet she was also so affectionate and attached. She never learnt how to meow properly really, she didn't have a mother and Sophie didn't take to her, so she just made little high-pitched peep noises.

She went missing once or twice and worried us sick, came back a week later skinny as a rake, dehydrated and underweight. Everytime she recovered and went off with her usual rabbit-chasing habits.

Sadly I moved away from home to University when she was around 3, but I often went home to visit and she'd always greet me with purrs, leg-rubs and 'peeps'. She seemed to remain an eternal kitten, never really getting bigger than an 11-month young cat and always acting like one!

Over the last half a year her health began to deterioriate. The vet diagnosed her with firstly cystisis. The antiobiotics helped and she was back to normal, until she suddenly took a turn for the worse and was diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure. My dad at home took extra special care of her, making sure she ate her prescription food and medicine, and still congratulating her with pets on the rabbits she somehow still managed to catch.

Unfortunately, despite all our best efforts and her fighting nature, she seemed to get worse and worse, until yesterday on Thursday 31st July, she was taken to the vet and put to sleep. She'd fought her last hard battle, caught her last rabbit, and was now ready to leave.

I never got to say goodbye to her, as I couldn't get home in time but I didn't want to keep her here, in pain and suffering, just so I could see her. But I have my memories, my photos, of us bottle feeding her, the video of her taking her first steps, and the memory of her little 'peeps'.

Now she can catch all the rabbits she likes, and isn't in any pain.

Chaska means the Peruvian Goddess of Princesses, and now she really can watch over all of us as a Goddess should.

Rest in Peace Chaska: your short but wonderful life brought us many smiles and happiness.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/jennyfurrens/DSCF0031.jpg

angieh
01-08-2008, 01:37 PM
What a lovely tribute to dear Chaska, meep. So very sorry that she has gone.

meep
01-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks angie. I acutally feel quite guilty that I wasn't there for her, as whilst my dad gave her all the help and attention she needed, I am the big 'cat person' out of our family and feel bad I couldn't give her more love. I also felt guilty that I have my two boys at home with me here in Glasgow, and almost felt like I'd cheated on her or moved on before her time. I know it isn't really like that, but I just wish I could have been there :(

kado
01-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. She was such a stunning cat. You did all you could for her and you did the best thing anyone could do. Run free little one i can imagine you with all the little bunnies at the rainbow bridge.

jane

meep
01-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Thanks Jane. She did have the most stunning markings. An almost perfect split down her face of two colours, and that 'line' ran all the way down her. When she got angry or scared she got a little mohican running from between her ears down to her tail! A very unique cat :)

yola
01-08-2008, 02:18 PM
What an amazing-looking cat she was, with a beautiful name too. She had a good life and people around her who loved her and helped her when it was her time to leave.

A very hard and brave thing to do. RIP Chaska.

Mags
01-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Chaska was such a beautiful cat....... sleep well pretty girl..

No more pain.....RIP....xx

meep
01-08-2008, 03:45 PM
Thank you Yola and Mags. It was hard not to wait until next week but was definately the right thing to do. I hope she's happy now, and not in any pain.

Elaine
01-08-2008, 04:49 PM
So sorry for your loss, hugs xxx

R.I.P. Chaska, sleep well kitty xxx

Grete
01-08-2008, 05:15 PM
So sorry to hear about Chaska, she sounded like such a unique cat and her pic is gorgeous. I know it won't help much but I do believe you did the right thing in leaving her with your dad. She needed the love and care he could give her and with all the best will in the world, you were at the time of your life when you needed to be out and about.

Please try and not feel guilty, you did the absolute best you could for her and you just can't ask for more than that.

Sleep well pretty Chaska, chase bunnies at the bridge with all our precious babies :)

*hugs*

Moli
01-08-2008, 07:04 PM
So sorry for your loss.....
Run free gorgeous girl.....xx

Kim
02-08-2008, 12:11 AM
So sorry for your loss Meep. She sounds like she was very lucky indeed to have found you and had a very happy and contented life. What an exceptionally pretty cat she was too! I don't think you have any reason to feel guilty, she was well looked after and loved to the end. ((hugs))

dandysmom
02-08-2008, 02:07 AM
Oh Meep, thanks for sharing the story of that lovely, unique little girl...how pretty she was! I'm so sorry for your loss. (((hugs)))

Tink
02-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Chaska..what a perfect name for a perfect girl..i loved hearing about her life...she seemed to enjoy it to the fullest. she is okay and will be your angel for the rest of your days. i'm sorry for your loss but you will be reunited one day. i wish you a peaceful grieving and hope you are at terms with it soon if not already. take care.
tink

meep
02-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Thank you everyone, all your messages mean so much. I know the feeling guilt is natural in a way. There was no way I could have taken her with me to Glasgow, as she was used to getting out whenever she liked and my dad lives in the country so perfect for an outdoor cat! Whereas a small flat in the city would have driven her stock-crazy. So I know she had the best life possible, and we did save her in her first few days; the few years she was with us were so special :)

She was a very unique cat, all our neighbours had taken a shine to her, she seemed to charm everyone. And she was so tiny! Always seemed like a little baby. If I can find more photos of her, I'll try and upload them. There's some when she was a teeny little 5 day old kitten, and feeding from the bottle. Those are the happy memories I'll have when I think of her :)

meep
08-08-2008, 04:06 PM
I found another photo of Chaska on my photobucket account. This was the winter that my dad and sister went travelling so it was just me at home, as I had to study for Uni exams. She became really attached to me, and everytime she came in the cat flap, she's run through to my bedroom mewing to make sure I was still there.

Here she is helping me revise:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/jennyfurrens/chaska004.jpg

babycakes
08-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Beautiful Chaska. Rip pretty girl X
Big hugs to you at this sad time X