PDA

View Full Version : When did you get your first cat??

Moli
29-07-2008, 09:46 PM
My first was when I got a flat of my own...

Mags
29-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I got my first cat when both my children were about to start their new Senior school...

Kazz
29-07-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm with you Moli I got mine when I got my first flat.....Archie...

MrsH
29-07-2008, 10:02 PM
We'd been married just about a year and I think our first cat was a substitute for the child we couldn't afford at the time.

I'm ashamed to say that it was a complete impulse buy, having seen her in the window of a pet shop we were passing. When we took her to a vet for injections he reckoned she was only about 6 weeks old! (I'm much more clued up on kitten-buying now!)

dandysmom
29-07-2008, 10:03 PM
If you mean the family cat, at age five, my lovely ginger tom (he was really my cat. ) As an adult, when I was in my early 30s, my Siamese Su-ling.

Erin
29-07-2008, 10:03 PM
I got Jerry once Ed and I got this house and after Chip was pts,we both always wanted cats but had to wait because Chip HATED them

candyshandy
29-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Family cat was when I was about 3 - Mitsi a black and white LH

My very own cats were Solly and Fabes who I got a few months after our much loved family cat Purdi died :(

I used to look after him when Mum went on holiday and he hated other cats and so I couldn't have my own.

Kazz
29-07-2008, 10:27 PM
I do like the name Purdi for a cat...........

farthing
29-07-2008, 11:15 PM
My first cat was found as a 4 weeks old kittens sitting on a patch of snow outside the works' greenhouses. He was frozen,covered in fleas and the vet thought he had got some chemical in his eyes. I had to feed him for a week and treat him and my shetland collie fo fleas as well as the rest of the house. The fleas had all jumped onto Misty the dog as he was so cold. I was 19 when I found him and when I moved in with Mike, he came too. It was him who converted Mike into liking cats.

angieh
29-07-2008, 11:29 PM
In 1986 - when Merlin came to live with me and OH - we'd been married just over 2 years and had moved to our second house which was no longer on a main road.

Elvisisboss
30-07-2008, 02:55 AM
i was 14, parents just spilt up and i went to live with my dad, and i really wanted a kitten! the house needed one!

my dad said 'read up on them' thinking i wouldnt bother, but i put my shoes on then & there and run to the libarary for 5 books!!

he was impressed!

my friends mum see a advert for free kittens, my dad said 'were going to look not get one!'.........

i left with one & my friend left with one!!!

:D his the most expensive cat ever and has cost Well over 15k so far in vets bills alone..........and that was the last time we counted! but his so worth it.... :D

meep
30-07-2008, 10:14 AM
When I was born :) We had two cats then, and whilst one was a grumpy old tortie, the other had just been a kitten himself so we grew up together.

But as an adult...about 4 weeks ago! When I got my first flat that allowed pets!

random
30-07-2008, 06:12 PM
Had cats since I was small, my first cat was Tom and we got him when I was a toddler. My next cat was Tabs and I got her when I was 8 and I bought her with my pocket money which I saved for weeks, I wanted a Siamese but my parents didn't believe on paying that much money for an animal, so when I grew up and moved out I took Tabs and bought Kiara, my Siamese.

HappyKatz
30-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Our first family cat was Scruffy - She was a dilute calico. My parents found her in the woods while we were camping. We took her home, then to the vets, and they told us she was blind & deaf. We took her everywhere we went. She was such a good girl :smt049

Sliver was the first cat my husband & I adopted together. He just adopted her for me at first because he only had dogs in his life. By adopting Sliver, he was able to understand cats & got to see just how wonderful they really are :cat10

calismum
04-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Same - two days after I got my first flat

babycakes
04-08-2008, 09:58 PM
My first(s) came as a pair when I was 12. Dumped on the doorstep in a carrier bag wrapped in a cardigan with their eyes closed. Don't know who dumped them there as we weren't known for rescuing animals and we had a long(ish) driveway too.

Grete
05-08-2008, 11:45 AM
First family cat (that was really mine) was Suki, a beautiful Tabby DSH. I think I was about 6 and we lived in army married quarters in London and some neighbours were being posted abroad and needed to rehome their two cats. The big bitey one got offered several homes but no one wanted little Suki. I think she was about 3 when we got her and she lived to a grand old age.

My first 'I'm a grown-up' cats were Ollie and Harley, 2 ginger and white brothers who came from the RSPCA in Brighton.