PDA

View Full Version : Daily thread ~ Monday

Mags
28-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Morning all!:D

Another week starts! It's slightly overcast here at the moment and it's hot and humid ......... thunderstorms are forecast for later.

Heard the shocking news about Weston Pier on fire earlier :shock:........... we frequently go to Weston on a weekend and go on the pier and now it's just a black shell that remains.:( It had only recently reopened after refurbishment by the new owners too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7528165.stm

Have a lovely day everyone!:cool:

yola
28-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Was it Weston?? I heard that a pier was on fire . . . what a shame I think piers are an amazing slices of British Victoriana :(

It's hot again here. The au pair has got my back up because she wasn't out of bed this morning so I could go through home security stuff and other bits with her . . . and she scuttled off to bed last night before I had a chance to discuss this all with her then :mad:

I've got lots to be getting on with so must dash :D

Annestaff
28-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Morning :D

Terrible news about the pier :( I was driving over the severn bridge earlier and could see the smoke it was that thick it blocked out the sun and the sky was black. Its so tragic but imagine if it had happened a few hours later, thank goodness noone was injured.

Mags
28-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Morning :D

Terrible news about the pier :( I was driving over the severn bridge earlier and could see the smoke it was that thick it blocked out the sun and the sky was black. Its so tragic but imagine if it had happened a few hours later, thank goodness noone was injured.
It's reported to have started about 7.00am, another couple of hours and it would have been crowded with holidaymakers ..........it doesn't bear thinking about..:shock: I doubt if the donkeys will be on the beach today either.

Grete
28-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Got back at 11pm last night, utterly knackered but had a fantastic weekend :) The cats were pleased to see us and Bubbles wound is looking really good. Was just so nice to go away and know the cats were being looked after :) Will definately be using her again :)

Mags
28-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Got back at 11pm last night, utterly knackered but had a fantastic weekend :) The cats were pleased to see us and Bubbles wound is looking really good. Was just so nice to go away and know the cats were being looked after :) Will definately be using her again :)
Glad you had a great weekend Grete, just what you needed! :D

Good to hear Bubbles and Fizz were ok and were well looked after..:D

angieh
28-07-2008, 04:20 PM
That's wonderful Grete - glad you had a good time. Bubbles bad luck has turned into your good luck because you've found a good petsitter! Here's to more weekends away.

dandysmom
28-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Happy news, Grete! Some good came out of the distressing incident!:D
Mags, what an awful thing to happen! But no loss of life.....

Day started out cloudy and unseasonably cool, only 19C; needed a tee shirt instead of the usual tank top. No errands to run this morning so took a nice long walk around the neighborhood admiring peoples gardens; then back to my own to pick a tomato for lunch and a bunch of beans for dinner. Been waiting for these beans since last year!

Hope all have a nice day..

PoshPuss
28-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Late getting on here girls, but I just done two night shifts and I'm al out of sync.
Horrid news about the Weston pier :( that was such a lovely place to go. The fire could be seen across the estuary from Cadiff :shock:
Its gone all sultry here again , thunder later I spect.

Mags
28-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Our thunderstorm arrived about 4.30pm, I'm not at all surprised as it's been so hot and heavy today :( It came down so fast that the drains in the road are still overflowing.

angieh
28-07-2008, 05:52 PM
How long did it last Mags? No sign here - sky is clear not a cloud to be seen. It is SO hot!

Mags
28-07-2008, 06:31 PM
How long did it last Mags? No sign here - sky is clear not a cloud to be seen. It is SO hot!
About an hour Angie but the rain thumped down during the storm. It's still very hot and humid though, the sun is out again and it has almost dried up again..

angieh
28-07-2008, 06:34 PM
OH has been listening to the forecast - you may get some more later - that sounded like an isolated one. Things may start here about 8.00! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mags
28-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the warning!! :-D

yola
28-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Right, I'd better get Sebi into bed and trim the cherry tree. We've had some heavy plops of rain and distant rumblings but nothing of any substance as yet :shock:

Kazz
28-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Well had a short burst of rain ealier but nothing since.....but saw lightening in the distance....still awfuly hot and humid...so imgaine more storms on the way.....hopefuly not tomorrow off to check weather forcast as have a cremation to go to tomorrow at 11.30 - a friend from work Malcolm he died of lung cancer last week aged 61 5 months since being diagnosed....:(

But being hearing about th pier all day I like piers.....like Yola said earlier - victorianna.....:)

Soz you're having trouble with your Au Pair Yola....maybe things will improve.

Everyone have a good evening.

Karen

yola
28-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Thunder approaching methinks . . . furious flashes of lightening and closer rumblings. I hope the boys sleep through it :shock:

Was a bit hasty about the au pair . . . will post another thread about it shortly.

Kazz
28-07-2008, 09:34 PM
I heard thunder about 15 minutes ago....but nothing since so could be coming..........

Mags
28-07-2008, 09:52 PM
We are still getting heavy rain here but at least the thunder and lightning has stopped..:roll:

angieh
28-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Had a few spits and spots of rain - no thunder etc. Hope for a quiet night. Not so bad during daylight.

Erin
28-07-2008, 10:15 PM
We have really heavy rain and the thunder and lightning here :( its been thundering for about an hour now.i hate it :(