PDA

View Full Version : The Cats "whiskers"

borderdawn
24-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Its amazing how they work, really its only occured to me in the last few days just how important they are. I have had 2 blind Dogs, one Lab with hereditary cataract and a Jack Russell with Glaucoma. Both these dogs coped fine but would often bump into things, not badly or hard, but they would on occasion.

Jessie on the other hand went blind VERY quickly and she NEVER bumps into anything! I have watched her now for a few days and the second her whiskers touch or sense something she changes direction. She doesnt bump into anything and for a Cat that could see perfectly a couple weeks ago, she really couldnt care less!

Whiskers do play a very important part to her, the thing that grabbed me though, is just how important they really are!

Kazz
24-07-2008, 10:09 PM
I totaly agree with you as soe may know Oscar was abused as a kitten and had cigarette burns on his body broken bones etc etc etc and his whiskers ripped out.....:( ..however he was less than 8 weeks old when this happened....I got him at 10 weeks ish (estimate) AND he used to bump into everything, not jump nothing not confident at all not only down to his ill treatment but LACK OF WHISKERS....then he grew longer "like guard hairs" that seemed to take the place of his whiskers or the whickers regrew not sure which...but the vet said they wouldn't as torn out by roots....so I always considerd them longer normal hair to compensate...as soon at they became the right length ie just wider than his face off he went and never looked back adventure wise.

So I agree total neccesity to a cat.

Kazz
24-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Hence the saying I imagine "cats whiskers" for something good...needed...great.

borderdawn
24-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Aww Kazz I didnt know Oscar was so badly treated, he was a lucky Cat indeed all those years to have you.

Kazz
24-07-2008, 10:19 PM
He was fine Dawn tried the old trick of I was a abused kitten a few times but I soon knocked him into shape with the sharp stick ;)

He was lucky really he and Cleo were the only kittens found alive in the black bin liner the rest of the litter were dead... oddly enough Cleo had not a mak on her....odd really. I wonder if it was because Oz eas maybe more adventourous a a kitten as he turned out to be or...hey who knows...all I know is I had to stop them from calling the RSPCA on occaion for help when we witheld our portion of the weekly Sunday joint............;) from them.

borderdawn
24-07-2008, 10:43 PM
LOL Kazz, they were super Cats werent they.

Kazz
24-07-2008, 10:45 PM
:-D LOL Kazz, they were super Cats werent they.

All down to the pointy stick..............:-D ;) :roll: ......

Kazz
24-07-2008, 10:45 PM
However it did mae me ralise the "neccesity" of whiskers for them to get about why I think cats cope better with being blind or deaf than dogs.....

borderdawn
24-07-2008, 10:50 PM
:-D

All down to the pointy stick..............:-D ;) :roll: ......
Must get one myself! :-D

Kazz
24-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Think you already have one..................

dandysmom
24-07-2008, 10:53 PM
I agree 100% Dawn; Misty went blind but was able to navigate thru the house as if she weren't; took me quite a while to realize it; also I think they have excellent spatial sense and memory to aid them as well, plus a great sense of smell. Fortunately I am not a furniture re-arranger!

Elaine
25-07-2008, 04:37 PM
My little blind boy Mutley only ever had one accident and that one down to a friend of mine frightening him by picking him up too quickly. He lept from her arms and bumped his head, had to rush him to the vets where he had an injection to take the swelling down. He very quickly recovered and was a very adventurous little blind kitty. I used to play hide and seek with him:lol: :lol: :lol: He always found me:shock:

borderdawn
25-07-2008, 08:00 PM
Poor Mutley! They do incredibly well dont they Elaine, amazing really.

Elaine
25-07-2008, 08:27 PM
They certainly do. The blind Siamese that Moli has in atm has been blind for around two years its thought, he too does incredibly well.