PDA

View Full Version : Menorca anyone?

yola
15-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Right, after this year's fiasco (weather-wise) in Devon I'm seeking somewhere warm and sunny for next year. It'll need to be in 2nd half of August so the boys can do the school holiday care and we use up time that will be spent 'babysitting' them anyway.

So, I'm looking for (1) not too far away - minimal flying, no transfers (2) not France . . . I don't like it (3) not too hot because Sebi's ever so pale-skinned (4) Quiet, child-friendly people and location (5) guaranteed sunshine and warmth

I have come up with Menorca as a potential . . . does anyone have any experience of this island? Or suggestions for alternatives?

I want to reserve it whilst I have a bit of cash spare so OH can't argue with me about it (as it'll be my cash) :lol:

Erin
15-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Menorca is really lovely Yola,I have been to Son Bou and Cala'n Bosch,both lovely resorts.
You cant really go wrong with Menorca with family holidays,its much quieter than Majorca and Ibiza and doesnt really have a "clubbing" resort on the island,but there is still pleaty to do.

Alcudia in Majorca is also a great resort for families,it has a fantastic beach and a huge selection of bars and restraunts but it has alot of lakes so if your prone to bites,not a good choice :lol:

If you can go a little futher then Gran Canaria Maspalomas is another great resort for families.The beaches in Maspalomas are amazing. Lanzatrote and Fuerteventura are also good choices and these 2 have a cool all year round breeze which keep the temperature very comfortable.

You will be best booking now too for early discount and free child places,most tour operatures should be offering these but they only have a set amount and they tend to run out very quickly. Also alot of travel agents or the Tour Operators direct may have a low deposit offer on so you could book your holiday for £20per person rather than £110

yola
16-07-2008, 10:46 PM
Erin, thanks for your feedback. Yes, I liked the shallow waters and gentle beaches . . . I have my eye on a little townhouse close to a lovely bay . . . already emailed the owner.

Would you recomment going through a travel agent? I'm keen to get a house/small villa rather than an apartment in a complex . . . don't mind if it doesn't have a pool as long as it's close to the sea. Do you think travel agents will do this type of property (can you tell I'm not much of a holidayer :oops: )?

We discussed the Canary Islands . . . everything I've heard and seen about these present a bit of a bleak, moon-like landscape. Is that the case or have I just seen the wrong pictures? I really fancy the lush pine forest-fringed beaches which I think Menorca has . . . so lots of ticks there at the moment :D

Erin
17-07-2008, 07:20 AM
Erin, thanks for your feedback. Yes, I liked the shallow waters and gentle beaches . . . I have my eye on a little townhouse close to a lovely bay . . . already emailed the owner.

Would you recomment going through a travel agent? I'm keen to get a house/small villa rather than an apartment in a complex . . . don't mind if it doesn't have a pool as long as it's close to the sea. Do you think travel agents will do this type of property (can you tell I'm not much of a holidayer :oops: )?

We discussed the Canary Islands . . . everything I've heard and seen about these present a bit of a bleak, moon-like landscape. Is that the case or have I just seen the wrong pictures? I really fancy the lush pine forest-fringed beaches which I think Menorca has . . . so lots of ticks there at the moment :D

If your happy booking the holiday yourself then I would do that as you will be saving yourself money.
If you do book for yourself though over the internet,its best to book with an ABTA/ATOL bonded company as your money will be protected if they have to cancel the holiday for any reason.
If you chose to book direct with the operators (thomson,first choice etc) they will all have an ABTA/ATOL licence.
All travel agents will be ABTA bonded,but if you do chose to book through an agent you will be paying agents comission so it may work out more expensive,saying that though alot of agents now offer price matches and price beats,so its worth shopping around and playing them off against each other,we used to get this at CoOp Travel all the time and in some cases we managed to beat the internet prices.
Most of the main tour operators have villa only brochures,all of these can be booked through most travel agents.

Re the Canaries,they are not the greenest of Islands and are very rocky,but do have some beautiful beaches,the sand dunes in Maspalomas,Gran Canaria and stunning. There are some pics here -
http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/europe/spain/gran-canaria/maspalomas/holidays-maspalomas.html

yola
17-07-2008, 09:31 AM
Those images in the link are amazing! The island looks much greener than I thought . . . lovely palm trees :D

Food for thought indeed . . . thanks Erin :-D