PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first Grooming Brush - How to...?

meep
14-07-2008, 02:05 PM
My boys aren't long haired, but they do seem to shed everywhere :roll: And the other day one of the poor boys had a wee wheeze and then a wee hairball.

So, I went out and bought a cat grooming brush. The petshop didn't have much choice, so I got an ergo Gromming Range Slicker Brush.

It says its made with stainless steel pins, and also:

"Slickers have sharp filaments to enable them to "cut" through the coats and therefore shoud be used with care, especially on young pets and pets with short coats".

The word cut definately made me :shock: Now I will of course be gentle, but this really was the only brush there for cats (there were plenty for dogs! :?

So, does anyone have any advice? Have I perhaps bought the wrong brush? (It does specify for cats, not just 'pets'). The boys are quite 'fluffy' despite not being long haired, if that makes sense, but I'm just wondering if there's anything I should be wary of, avoid, or whether having a 'sharp' brush is perfectly normal?

Jac
14-07-2008, 02:23 PM
One word.......Furminator!!! There brilliant. They do cost a bit but you can get them on line and well worth every penny.

meep
14-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks Jac :) I actually saw angieh's thread on Merlin moulting and read through it till I came to the link for the FURminator and the previous thread here (or raving review!) for it! SO I've already had a look on eBay and have PM'd Dave, a member here who sells them on eBay - so I'm pretty much half way there to ordering one ;) Bought myself some nice hair products online today already (MOP) so if I wait till tomorrow, the guilt can be spread out a bit over two days ;)

meep
14-07-2008, 02:26 PM
Note: the MOP hair products are for myself, not the cats! :lol:

Jac
14-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Haha I know what you mean! Ive spent so much money since I got back from my holidays I'm almost afraid to look at the bank:lol:

angieh
14-07-2008, 03:19 PM
"Bought myself some nice hair products online today already (MOP) so if I wait till tomorrow, the guilt can be spread out a bit over two days"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do recommend the Furminator - although have to say that Merlin has such a short coat, I didn't get that much off him. Now of course, after his op, he has a couple of "shaved bits" and I can't wait for them to grow again! Perhaps you could send him some of Darcy and Minsky's loose fur to cover up his bald bits?!!!

New business opportunity for someone? CATWIGS?

meep
14-07-2008, 03:20 PM
One wee furminator won't break the bank :lol: or so I keep telling myself.

I also bought them alongside the brush some dried catnip and Nature's Menu meat treats. I just can't help myself, it makes them so happy :D

meep
14-07-2008, 03:23 PM
I do recommend the Furminator - although have to say that Merlin has such a short coat, I didn't get that much off him. Now of course, after his op, he has a couple of "shaved bits" and I can't wait for them to grow again! Perhaps you could send him some of Darcy and Minsky's loose fur to cover up his bald bits?!!!

New business opportunity for someone? CATWIGS?
CATWIGS?! :lol: :lol: :-D :lol: :lol:

Awh wee Merlin! Cuddles for him! I would be more than happy to package some up for you, as right now looking at my jumper alone from when I purely stroked Darcy this morning, there's probably enough already for a few wee catwigs ;)

dandysmom
14-07-2008, 04:35 PM
I hadn't seen this thread when I posted my comments about the Furminator on your other one. I'm delighted you're going to get one, cannot reccommend it too highly!

meep
14-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Ok, I caved and pretty quickly (in about 3 hours?)

I ordered mine off eBay :D I found a small one for a slightly cheaper price than other sellers, but I am so looking forward to it arriving and trying it out on the boys! The more I think about it, the more I realise that they are pretty darned furry!

dandysmom
14-07-2008, 04:45 PM
You will not believe the amount of fur you remove the first time you use it!! We had a thread of pics of the biggest balls of fur...hilarious! Will see if I can find the link to it......

charliebubs
14-07-2008, 04:46 PM
FURminators are brilliant - I can't recommend them enough :) Let us know how you get on with it.

In the meantime the slicker brush should be fine - I do use one of those on mine too.

Have a groom with the slicker brush and then a groom with the FURminator when it arrives and you'll be amazed at the difference!!!!! :lol: :lol:

meep
14-07-2008, 04:49 PM
I am really excited about trying the furminator out - is that a wee bit pathetic?

When I stroke them, I always come away with a handful of hair as it is, and if they even sit down for a minute, they leave at least 10 behind, so I am prepared for a huge amount of hair :lol: Will be sure to take a photo too!

meep
14-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Oh and I will still try the one I bought today as well, it will start the process off, and I can test the water for how they like being groomed in the first place... Comparing the two will be interesting!

Moli
14-07-2008, 04:51 PM
I have a furminator for my big boys, they are fantastic...

meep
14-07-2008, 04:53 PM
I am already envisaging a room full of fur and two very shiny, soft, content purring cats :D

Mags
14-07-2008, 05:56 PM
I am already envisaging a room full of fur and two very shiny, soft, content purring cats :D

You may even be able to stuff some cushions! ;):lol:

dandysmom
14-07-2008, 08:10 PM
I save my late Winter combings to put out for the nesting birds...I had almost enough this year to make another cat!!!

meep
14-07-2008, 11:04 PM
:lol: I'm just imagining two wee bald cats and a lovely couch full of big plump cushions :P

I tried them both tonight with the normal brush I bought from the petshop. Neither loved it, Darcy was happy to be distracted with a few treats and let me comb away but Minsky was having none of it. I got about two full combs full from Darcy, and now when i stroke him, no hair comes out and floats around! So I'll be very impressed if the FURminator can do better ;)

Mags
14-07-2008, 11:26 PM
:lol: I'm just imagining two wee bald cats and a lovely couch full of big plump cushions :P

I tried them both tonight with the normal brush I bought from the petshop. Neither loved it, Darcy was happy to be distracted with a few treats and let me comb away but Minsky was having none of it. I got about two full combs full from Darcy, and now when i stroke him, no hair comes out and floats around! So I'll be very impressed if the FURminator can do better ;)
Have a look at this thread Meep........ this is when we all got our Furminators and the results of 5 minutes grooming;)

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=23267&highlight=Big+balls+Furminator

meep
15-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Thanks Mags :) Only a few of the pictures still worked, the others must have timed out? But that is pretty impressive! WHilst last night Darcy seemed to have stopped shedding, this morning when I picked him up I was covered again!

My FURminator should be dispatched today :D