PDA

View Full Version : Going Away For A Week, Advice Needed For Figo

keziah
11-07-2008, 12:12 AM
Dear Members,

My brother in law is getting married in November in India and the whole family including us will be going away for a week. Usually when my husband and me go on a holiday, we keep Figo with our parents in law as they just live next doors and he is comfortable with them. Now that even they will be coming with us, I am very worried about Figo. I need advice as to what would be best for him. One of the neighbours can come and feed him and clean his tray, but then he would be alone all day for almost a week which I cant bear to see. I have no experience with cattery and dont know whats the best way to go about it. Does anyone know of a really excellent cattery available in london? The best thing according to me would be if some friend could come stay at my house for those days, but noone comes to my mind would be kind enough to do that. If I am not mistaken, is there a service like that available and if so is it safe?

Any advice would be highly appreciated. Figo has never been alone for more than a day. As I said I am very worried about him, I love him to bits and the thought of leaving him alone here is just killing me, though November is a while away, I want to be prepared so that I dont keep worrying about him.

Please excuse my long post.

Jac
11-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Dont know how that got there. It was in a totally different thread last night I'm sorry. You must think I'm ignorant.

You can get a pet sitter to come in. They charge by the hour as a rule. Will play for a bit and change food and litter. Most will be happy to give you references. Good luck

tilly
11-07-2008, 12:22 AM
Yes there is such a thing as a pet sitter or house sitter who can loo after you pets when your are away. Pet sitters come in how ever many times you'd like and charge you a fee per visit. I have used one before and it worked very well... She came in twice a day to see my cats when they lived with my parens and me. My cats lived outside at the time and were shut in a night and the pet sitter was happy to do this or us.

Never had a house sitter but I am sure if you some one else on here will have more knowledge of them. I will say that I was hoping to do some pet sitting for a company on the internet and they chargde the clients £39 per day plus and the pet sitter got £9.50 per day. So I decided to not do that as it didn't make sense. Hosue sitterstay in your house and can only leave for in the firm I was looking at 3hr and not after 5pm. I would use a hosue sitter if I went away and know one could look after my animals though.

hope I helped a bit and that someone else can help you more.

Sally

smudgley
11-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Not worth answering

:? why did you post that Jac? :?

Jac
11-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Ive already said It was in another post last night. I dont know how the heck it got here:shock:

smudgley
11-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Ive already said It was in another post last night. I dont know how the heck it got here:shock:

You hadn't already said that when I posted the above though :)

Jac
11-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Hehe that's cause I'm blond and only had one cup of coffee:shock: . I honestly cant figure it out. You know me Smudgley I wouldn't answer someone like that

keziah
11-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Yes there is such a thing as a pet sitter or house sitter who can loo after you pets when your are away. Pet sitters come in how ever many times you'd like and charge you a fee per visit. I have used one before and it worked very well... She came in twice a day to see my cats when they lived with my parens and me. My cats lived outside at the time and were shut in a night and the pet sitter was happy to do this or us.

Never had a house sitter but I am sure if you some one else on here will have more knowledge of them. I will say that I was hoping to do some pet sitting for a company on the internet and they chargde the clients £39 per day plus and the pet sitter got £9.50 per day. So I decided to not do that as it didn't make sense. Hosue sitterstay in your house and can only leave for in the firm I was looking at 3hr and not after 5pm. I would use a hosue sitter if I went away and know one could look after my animals though.

hope I helped a bit and that someone else can help you more.

Sally

Thank you for your helpful advice Sally, I think it would be best if I found him a pet sitter who would come and look after him. I am trying to find someone good and also will try and find out what they charge. I am also trying to see if any neighbour would be willing to come play with him for an hour or so a day. I will keep you posted, meanwhile if there is a reliable pet sitter agency that you can recommend that would be great. Thank you again.

keziah
11-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Dont know how that got there. It was in a totally different thread last night I'm sorry. You must think I'm ignorant.

You can get a pet sitter to come in. They charge by the hour as a rule. Will play for a bit and change food and litter. Most will be happy to give you references. Good luck

That is alright Jac, I must admit I was a quite upset as I did not know why anyone would write anything like that, but as you said it was a genuine mistake so all is well:) . Yes I think a pet sitter would be good for Figo, I am just researching some good pet sitters online. Will keep you posted.

ellenlouise
11-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Hiya I have just come back off holiday for 2 weeks in Paxos while planning the holiday I had exactly the same dilemma as you.

The decsion I made was to get a cat sitter luckily a friend of mine who know my cats was more than happy to do this for me I did not pay her but I did buy her enough food for 2 weeks and left some money if she needed anything. She lived in the house as I would and did a brilliant job.

Although I did leave a 6 page document of how to look after the animals and on every door window and toilet seat I left a note saying keep shut cats about. I think she thought I was preety crazy when she arrived at the house.

If I was you I would see if you have any friends or friends with older trustworthy teenagers to pet and house sit for you. Just like my friend did she lived at my house for two weeks she loved it as she still lives with her parents and thought it was brill having her own house.

Hope thats helps.

x

keziah
11-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Hiya I have just come back off holiday for 2 weeks in Paxos while planning the holiday I had exactly the same dilemma as you.

The decsion I made was to get a cat sitter luckily a friend of mine who know my cats was more than happy to do this for me I did not pay her but I did buy her enough food for 2 weeks and left some money if she needed anything. She lived in the house as I would and did a brilliant job.

Although I did leave a 6 page document of how to look after the animals and on every door window and toilet seat I left a note saying keep shut cats about. I think she thought I was preety crazy when she arrived at the house.

Hope thats helps.

x

Hi Ellenlouise,

That is so nice that you had a nice friend who was willing to stay over and pet sit your darling. That would be ideal for me too, but unfortunately I do not have any friend in mind who would be willing to do that. I am trying to think really hard at the moment to find a friend who likes cats and doesnt mind pet sitting also looking to find some good pet sitters online. Will keep you posted. Thank you.

ellenlouise
11-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Thats no problem. It was hard work finding Sarah as I have cats and rabbits it needs to be someone who will look after both. Also because my cats are house cats as well its more difficult. Luckily Sarah is always popping into my house so I felt comfortable with her. Have you tried a site called Gumtree.com it really good you can set it to your city and advertise what you want. Might be worth ago explain what you need and how much you would pay or not in my case just food and board and see who responds. Make sure you get good references though!

Jac
11-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Good luck. Please let us know if you manage to find one. I'm really sorry you were upset by that remark. As I said It was in a different thread and how it ended up here I dont know.
I would never be so ignorant. I'm sorry.

smudgley
11-07-2008, 12:48 PM
Hehe that's cause I'm blond and only had one cup of coffee:shock: . I honestly cant figure it out. You know me Smudgley I wouldn't answer someone like that

Yeah I know that Jac.

angieh
11-07-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi Keziah - you may want to look at your vet's practice. I know that mine has a noticeboard with details of pet sitters and catteries in the area too for that matter. I am sure that you realise that you should always ask for, and take up, any references that you are given.

keziah
12-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Thats no problem. It was hard work finding Sarah as I have cats and rabbits it needs to be someone who will look after both. Also because my cats are house cats as well its more difficult. Luckily Sarah is always popping into my house so I felt comfortable with her. Have you tried a site called Gumtree.com it really good you can set it to your city and advertise what you want. Might be worth ago explain what you need and how much you would pay or not in my case just food and board and see who responds. Make sure you get good references though!

Thanks Ellenlouise, I will try out that site and see what I can find.

keziah
12-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Good luck. Please let us know if you manage to find one. I'm really sorry you were upset by that remark. As I said It was in a different thread and how it ended up here I dont know.
I would never be so ignorant. I'm sorry.

Sure I will let you know. That will be a big burden off my head once I find a suitable solution.

keziah
12-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Hi Keziah - you may want to look at your vet's practice. I know that mine has a noticeboard with details of pet sitters and catteries in the area too for that matter. I am sure that you realise that you should always ask for, and take up, any references that you are given.

Hi angieh,

I have to go the vet this month for Figo's annual vaccination, so I will surely check out their noticeboard to see what options are available. Will also ask the vet to see what he says. Yes ofcouse I would not go for a person unless I am completely sure that she is trustworthy and references are a must. Thanks for the advice angieh:)

Jac
12-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Have a word with the receptionist at your Vets. She will be able to guide you in the right direction.

keziah
13-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks Jac, I shall ask her as well