PDA

View Full Version : Smudge

angieh
13-05-2008, 05:47 PM
I find that I keep mentioning Smudge in various posts and, when looking through some old photos, I found one of her and decided I would write a little memorial for her here in "Gone But Not Forgotten". Some of you might remember I posted the story of her arrival at Halloween last year.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc44/angieh_bucket/old%20pictures%201/001.jpg

She was a very sweet natured cat and never bit or scratched in anger. She was not friendly with Merlin, although the two never came to blows - they stayed out of each other's way. The photo was taken in the garden of the house we lived in before this one and I remember the day of the move so clearly as it was boiling hot and luckily it was only a 16 mile drive but with two cats crying in the back of the car, it felt like 50!

When everything was unpacked, Smudge wedged herself under a chest of drawers and didn't come out for 2 days, she was so upset. After she had settled down, I think she thought she had arrived in heaven as she had a biggish garden to explore and she loved being outside. Her favourite spot was amongst the ferns under the walnut tree by the little water splash.

Very sadly, we had to have her pts in September 2005. She had a hyperactive thyroid which we had overlooked and by the time we took her to the vet, she had fluid on her lungs and we were advised it would be kindest to put her out of her distress which both me and my OH agreed with. It really was the best thing. I do feel very guilty that I had not spotted that she was not well, but had not seen any symptoms until it was too late.

I had a moment of indecision when I saw those lovely little wooden cat urns in a post of Yola's, but I have decided that as Smudgie loved to be outside so much, that is where I shall put her ashes. I have already had a piece of slate engraved with her name. When I have placed her ashes and the slate, I'll post another picture of "Smudge's Place".

babycakes
13-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Smudge looks like she is posing for you there Angie.
She looks a very special little girl who was precious to you.
A wonderful fitting memorial for her.
RIP Smudge X

Elaine
13-05-2008, 07:56 PM
She was a beautiful cat Angie, thankyou for sharing her with us.
Dont feel guilty, you know that cats can mask illnesses until its just too late to help them, feel special that she shared your life. xxx

yola
13-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Angie - that's a beautiful tribute to a lovely cat - Smudge sounds like she landed on her feet with you and your OH.

I'm glad that my little urns helped to clarify in your mind exactly where Smudge belongs - it's funny how we instictively know :-).

However, wherever you inter her ashes, her real place will be in your hearts forever. Hugs.

Mags
13-05-2008, 08:58 PM
That's a lovely tribute to Smudge, Angie........... it's nice see see who you were talking about now.:) She really was beautiful..

RIP Smudge....x

dandysmom
13-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for sharing the story of your special cat...she was a very pretty girl. And as she loved her garden so, I think her resting place sounds ideal. They're so skilled at disguising illness, please don't fret that you didn't pick up on it earlier; it happened to me with my Su-ling Siamese boy. Hugs!