PDA

View Full Version : 3 "MUST READ" Please!

angieh
12-03-2008, 11:24 AM
Alex's thread "My 2 little bookworms"

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=26681

has made me think!

If you were to recommend 3 books to a friend as MUST READs - what would they be?

alexgirl73
12-03-2008, 01:22 PM
oooh good question Angie!

I'm not going to answer now as I will have to spend a bit of time thinking about this one. So hard to narrow it down to three.

yola
12-03-2008, 02:13 PM
The 3 that spring to mind initially are:

1. George Orwell - Down and Out in Paris and London
2. Louis de Bernieres - Captain Correlli's Mandolin
3. Thomas Hardy - The Mayor of Casterbridge

This is based purely on the fact that these are 3 books that I keep coming back to as they are firm favourites and not on any literary or artistic merit.

Moofster
12-03-2008, 07:20 PM
urm good one !

well to be honest I'm a bit of a lazy reader :oops: but I do like the classics so would go for

Far From the Madding Crowd
Pride & Prejudice
Bleak House

dandysmom
12-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Woo hoo, very hard to narrow down to three! And it would have to be to a friend who shared the same eclectic taste in books as I do....

Kim - Kipling
The Andromeda Strain - Chricton
The Thirty Nine Steps - Buchan

angieh
12-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Well here are mine:-

The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
(yes I know, but I read it years ago and still love it)
The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
Blackberry Wine - Joanne Harris

random
12-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Marley and Me by John Grogan is my fave book in the world. Will think about the other 2.

Elaine
12-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Soul Music, Terry Pratchet, infact almost anything by TP coz they really make me laugh out loud.
No dogs, no blacks, no Irish - John Lydon autobiography, coz i love him.
Captain Corelli's Mandelin, I loved that book.

alexgirl73
12-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Still thinking...........

yola
12-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Still thinking...........

Drums fingers on desk . . . .;)

alexgirl73
12-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Okay, here goes. I have rather eclectic tastes, so I apologise in advance lol. I'm afraid that I'm not much into classics as I find the language too heavy and difficult to get round. As long as I enjoy a book and I can remember it well then that's what I class as a really good read!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Ok, I know it's a kids book really but having read the previous ones and queuing up at midnight to buy it I was worried it wouldn't live up to expectations. However I thought it was the best of the lot and have read it over and over since then:)

A child called It - Probably not most peoples idea of a good read, but one book I shall never forget.

Anne of GreenGables - Lol, I know it's another childrens book. But I fell in love with this as a child and the feisty young miss remained forever in my heart.

angieh
12-03-2008, 11:23 PM
I love Terry Pratchett too Elaine - looking forward to seeing the Colour of Magic over Easter. I've only actually read The Wee Free Men, but I've listened to several on the radio and I usually have to play it again coz I've missed bits where I've been laughing too much.

Elaine
12-03-2008, 11:26 PM
I love Terry Pratchett too Elaine - looking forward to seeing the Colour of Magic over Easter. I've only actually read The Wee Free Men, but I've listened to several on the radio and I usually have to play it again coz I've missed bits where I've been laughing too much.

I forgot about the Wee Free Men, I loved that book. I really love all the ones that feature Death and the witches. I highly recomend Soul Music, Guards Guards and Equal Rites.

random
12-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Okay, here goes. I have rather eclectic tastes, so I apologise in advance lol. I'm afraid that I'm not much into classics as I find the language too heavy and difficult to get round. As long as I enjoy a book and I can remember it well then that's what I class as a really good read!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Ok, I know it's a kids book really but having read the previous ones and queuing up at midnight to buy it I was worried it wouldn't live up to expectations. However I thought it was the best of the lot and have read it over and over since then:)

A child called It - Probably not most peoples idea of a good read, but one book I shall never forget.

Anne of GreenGables - Lol, I know it's another childrens book. But I fell in love with this as a child and the feisty young miss remained forever in my heart.

Well if we are talking about books from childhood can I choose Hairy Mclairy? :lol: I know it by heart! :-D

alexgirl73
12-03-2008, 11:31 PM
oooh Hairy Mclairy. Love those!!!!

angieh
12-03-2008, 11:35 PM
I forgot about the Wee Free Men, I loved that book. I really love all the ones that feature Death and the witches. I highly recomend Soul Music, Guards Guards and Equal Rites.

I listened to Guards Guards on the radio. Thought it was great. Death has a wonderfully deep voice, like treacle. I love the idea of L space too and the orang-utan as Librarian.

dandysmom
12-03-2008, 11:48 PM

Oh Alex, I loved that and the others in the series so very much...could we maybe have a thread about our favorite childhood books, I wonder? Although actually my "Kim" choice would belong there.....

alexgirl73
12-03-2008, 11:50 PM
right, you start it then Eileen.

angieh
12-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Good idea dandysmom - d'you want to start it off?

babycakes
13-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Papillion, Henri Charriere
Maob is my washpot, stephen Fry
Catcher in the rye, J. D. Salinger