PDA

View Full Version : Photobucket......

dandysmom
07-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Discovered last evening that they have changed things about...went to use the Edit/Resize as I always do for photos, and found a new system in place which I hate! With the old system it only took about a minute to Edit/Resize (and remember I have dial-up!). The new system has all sorts of new and complicated options and takes forever for a single pic...at least five minutes! I wonder if there's any way to continue to use the old Edit option, or if it's gone forever??? :(

Anyone else tried this?

angieh
07-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Sorry dandysmom - I haven't been on Photobucket for a couple of days, I'll check it out.

Fran
07-03-2008, 07:22 PM
I don't resize in photobucket. I resize them in a photo editing suite before I upload to photobucket. I hope you manage to sort this out, I can remember the days of being on dial up and being very frustrated with things taking ages. Good luck, hope someone else will know how to help you

angieh
07-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Hi again dandysmom - I've just tried it. I can see why you're alarmed at the change BUT after I found my way around it (and that did take some time) I found it easy to use the resizer (not having a photo editing suite) although I can crop photos on Windows Photo Gallery (I think you are a Mac user?), that still leaves you not knowing what size your photo is. I think Catsey Carole gave me some advice about the optimum size - I'll check that link for you. I have to say it didn't seem to take that long - certainly not 5 mins. Better luck next time, I think.

angieh
07-03-2008, 07:45 PM
It was this thread dandysmom, which you contributed to as well.
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=26175

I used the dimensions that Carole gave. The software she quotes is FREE and looks amazing, but I am trying to learn GIMP at the moment (also free software). I really like openuser programs - it's what the future's all about IMO!

Mags
07-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Eileen, are you able to reset the size of your pics on your camera before shooting? That's what I've done....

Have a look in the little manual that came with your camera under Resize...

Fran
07-03-2008, 08:21 PM
but I am trying to learn GIMP at the moment (also free software). I really like openuser programs - it's what the future's all about IMO!

Someone mentioned GIMP to me recently, it's a sort of free photoshop type software isn't it? I had a quick look but worried about the download size (don't want to clutter up my hard drive :roll: ) How easy is it to use??

dandysmom
07-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Hi again dandysmom - I've just tried it. I can see why you're alarmed at the change BUT after I found my way around it (and that did take some time) I found it easy to use the resizer (not having a photo editing suite) although I can crop photos on Windows Photo Gallery (I think you are a Mac user?), that still leaves you not knowing what size your photo is. I think Catsey Carole gave me some advice about the optimum size - I'll check that link for you. I have to say it didn't seem to take that long - certainly not 5 mins. Better luck next time, I think.

Yes I'm a Mac user; can do all the fancy things in iPhoto except resize; and Catsey's new one won't work properly for me: it does resize but the pic vanishes in two hours, so obviously useless. I know I'm probably doing something wrong in the Catsey Resizer, but since it's always been so simple and quick in PB have stuck with that. I do wonder at the time it takes now...even with dial-up it was very quick with the old system...guess I will just have to live with it...:(

Oh, and Mags' suggestion about doing it in the camera: that is way too intimidating for me to try......:roll:

angieh
07-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Someone mentioned GIMP to me recently, it's a sort of free photoshop type software isn't it? I had a quick look but worried about the download size (don't want to clutter up my hard drive :roll: ) How easy is it to use??

I can't YET tell you how easy it is to use Fran, as I have just started working my way through"Beginning GIMP: From Novice to Professional". Similar to photoshop type software as you can "create digital art, craft greetings cards..... and make the most of your digital camera". But you can do animation on it too. See page 3 of the thread below for an example. Please note though that I am not clever enough to have done this, my friend Hanna did!

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=26111

angieh
07-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Yes I'm a Mac user; can do all the fancy things in iPhoto except resize; and Catsey's new one won't work properly for me: it does resize but the pic vanishes in two hours, so obviously useless. I know I'm probably doing something wrong in the Catsey Resizer, but since it's always been so simple and quick in PB have stuck with that. I do wonder at the time it takes now...even with dial-up it was very quick with the old system...guess I will just have to live with it...:(

Oh, and Mags' suggestion about doing it in the camera: that is way too intimidating for me to try......:roll:

Shame about the Catsey resizer - that's something the supporters use isn't it? I'd get on to Az about that as it's a pity you can't use it.

dandysmom
07-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks Angie; yes, it is the one the supporters use; and Az, bless him. has enough to do without giving me a tutorial! I am infamous on here for being very un-techy: just ask Az, Mags, Tom, and many others :-D I was absolutely terrified to change from Explorer to Firefox for fear I would completely screw up and lose all my data...took them weeks to shame me into doing it...:-D. And of course I adore Firefox now and cannot believe how silly I was......

Mags
07-03-2008, 10:17 PM
Eileen I have iPhoto with my Mac ........ when you open it, click on edit and you can crop it in there... :D

dandysmom
07-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear, Mags. I use the Edit in iPhoto all the time, but mine only crops and adjusts brightness, red eye, etc; it does not have a Resize feature. Yours is a later model; perhaps that's why you can resize there.

Mags
07-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Sorry if I wasn't clear, Mags. I use the Edit in iPhoto all the time, but mine only crops and adjusts brightness, red eye, etc; it does not have a Resize feature. Yours is a later model; perhaps that's why you can resize there.
Ahh...I understand now Eileen;) I haven't tried the photobucket one at all , I'll have a look at it sometime..

Fran
07-03-2008, 10:49 PM
See page 3 of the thread below for an example. http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=26111

I can't find a page three in that thread Angie, only page two??

Tom
08-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Just been having a look online for you, Eileen. Although it takes a while to do on PBucket, you are probably best sticking to it.. I have found some websites that will resize images for you but its very long winded.. You have too resize the image on it, save it back to your computer and then upload the new resized image to PBucket so would probably take just as long as doing it all on PB..

Tom x

angieh
08-03-2008, 07:30 PM
That's odd Fran. It's still there (odd things going on at the moment - Merlin has nothing to do with it either). Try clicking on this direct link.

http://s215.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=mouseani.flv

dandysmom
08-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Just been having a look online for you, Eileen. Although it takes a while to do on PBucket, you are probably best sticking to it.. I have found some websites that will resize images for you but its very long winded.. You have too resize the image on it, save it back to your computer and then upload the new resized image to PBucket so would probably take just as long as doing it all on PB..

Tom x

Thanks Tom, appreciate that! Why do they always change things when the old one was perfectly satisfactory,,,,grrrr! :twisted: I was hoping they would be like Yahoo which gives you the option of the old mail or the new mail.....ah well , I shall live with it..:-D

Tom
08-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Thanks Tom, appreciate that! Why do they always change things when the old one was perfectly satisfactory,,,,grrrr! :twisted: I was hoping they would be like Yahoo which gives you the option of the old mail or the new mail.....ah well , I shall live with it..:-D

I know exactly what you mean, Eileen. Most things do give you the option to use the old version.. I went on photobucket to give it a try and it took me ages and we have really fast broadband :? Wish they wouldn't fix things that arn't broken! :lol:

dandysmom
08-03-2008, 10:54 PM
I know exactly what you mean, Eileen. Most things do give you the option to use the old version.. I went on photobucket to give it a try and it took me ages and we have really fast broadband :? Wish they wouldn't fix things that arn't broken! :lol:

So it's not just me and my dial-up!! Somehow that is comforting; makes me feel better! Thanks, Tom!!