PDA

View Full Version : Give them a choice or not bother?

Donna
29-11-2007, 07:18 PM
My cats have gone off wet food.... if I have no biscuits they would rather starve :roll:

I have been putting down:

1. Just wet that gets left
2. Just biscuits that get gobbled up
3. Mixture of both - wet gets left, biscuits gobbled up.

So, should I just not bother with wet food anymore?:?

Elaine
29-11-2007, 07:25 PM
If they are eating the dried then I would just give them the dried for the the time being. Maybe ocasionally offering them some wet and if they still ignore the wet food, just stick with the dry.

Moli
29-11-2007, 07:25 PM
I wouldn't give them wet if they are not eating it....2 of mine only eat dry food....

Donna
29-11-2007, 07:26 PM
Do they miss out on anything just having dried food?

Elaine
29-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Do they miss out on anything just having dried food?

Now thats one for the debates section;)

Many people feed dry only with little to no problems at all.

Mags
29-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Do you give them the same brand of wet food every day Donna? Cassie went through a stage when she went off Whiskas completley so I bought Felix which she ate with no trouble. Then a few months later she was leaving the Felix so I switched back to the Whiskas and, touch wood, she has remained on it ever since.

Maybe the girls feel like a change..:?

Donna
29-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Yes, perhaps a different brand.... although I have two full boxes of wet food.....

smudgley
29-11-2007, 09:08 PM
If it's a dry complete food, then everyuthing they need is in that diet & it is a complete food, so no need to feed with meat.

I'd never buy meat again for them. ;)

smudgley
29-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Yes, perhaps a different brand.... although I have two full boxes of wet food.....

Give iti to a local cat rescue if your girls don't want it. :cool:

dandysmom
29-11-2007, 09:58 PM
But are they getting enough liquid ? The vet told me not to give Leia dry food after her cystitis; unfortunately she prefers it! So I sprinkle dry over the wet, and she does eat most of it. And I do change the flavor of the wet daily; she will eat more of the chicken and the liver and beef; some of the others she leaves a lot of......

MrsH
29-11-2007, 10:14 PM
My two went right off wet food. We tried to persist for a while, buying different, high quality food but they just left it. They've been eating only dry for about 18 months now and I'm not sorry. Dry food doesn't smell or go off if it's left down for a while. Their poo is firmer and less smelly, and they don't have sticky food clinging to their teeth.

I sometimes worry about a totally dry diet but they have plenty of water available and they drink it quite readily. I am trying to get them to eat some occasional raw (chicken wings) but no luck yet, they don't want to know!

angieh
30-11-2007, 08:29 PM
I have a cupboard full of different boxes of sachets of food - Whiskas, Felix and Iams. Merlin has always been a vomiter since a young kitten because he bolts his food too quickly. If he eats something and is sick, naturally it puts him off it, so I change to something else for a while and then go back. Don't you think cats get fed up of the same thing every day? My late cat Smudge (can you say "late" for a cat?) had trouble with her weight - something else I can identify with! - so she was on Iams light food for a terribly long time, unlike Merlin, she had no interest at all in human food/titbits or treats and seemed quite happy crunching away. Her teeth were in excellent condition!

Darky
01-12-2007, 12:26 PM
I feel quite lucky now, as our kitties have always been fond of dry food. (Though when Tiger was very ill before passing, she needed regular monitoring and encouragement to make sure that she ate anything.)

They get a small amount of wet food for breakfast, slightly larger amount for dinner - and always have a dish of dry food and a dish of water available. They eat the biscuits at their leisure, never scoffing them down.

I also buy them different brands of cat food, like the cute little gourmet tins, every couple of weeks as treat dinners. C: