PDA

View Full Version : New sat nav.

smudgley
01-11-2007, 08:48 AM
I've had a new sat nav & it's brilliant & so much better than my old one. It has lots of features but the one thing which is great is speed alert, it monitors your speed & tells you when you go over the limit, isn't that clever. :cool:
It states the limit in the area & what you are doing e.g..... if you were going 35 in a 40 zone, it says
35 / 40 - and when you go over 40 it tells you.

It also tells you when you are approaching a speed camera.

I think the speed alert is a great safety aspect because it makes you think when it alerts you.

It also has a help feature & when you click help it can locate you to allsorts of things, options like the nearest hospital, madical centre, chemist, etc.

It's fab!

Fran
01-11-2007, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't be with out my Sat Nav, my Tomtom does all those things you describe above Smudgley, It amazes me how clever it is :lol:

smudgley
01-11-2007, 10:11 AM
My old TomTom didn't do the speed alert or speed cameras or have the help facility. I love this one & I've let John have my old one. :-D

yola
01-11-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm going to be in the market for a satnav soon as my Lexus had an inbuilt one but I opted not to go for one with the Audi. Fran, Smudgely - which ones do you have and how much did they cost?

Kazz
01-11-2007, 10:45 AM
I have not got a satnav I think I would go crazy being told what to do by a computer. Rather have interesting mysery tours...:)

Glad you are enjoying yours Smudgley

Fran
01-11-2007, 11:13 AM
My old TomTom didn't do the speed alert or speed cameras or have the help facility. I love this one & I've let John have my old one. :-D

The one we have does have the speed alert and the speed cameras and we have had it a good while now.

Yola, we have the TomTom Go 710, although I guess this may have been replaced by a more up to date model now as we have had it a while.

Here's a link to it..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-710-Europe-Navigation-Unit/dp/B000FDT1MA

Fran
01-11-2007, 11:18 AM
It tells you what speed you are travelling at and what the speed limit of the road is, if you go over the speed limit it flashes at you in red :oops: It alerts you with a beeping that a speed camera is coming up. You can download all the recent road changes/speed camera etc... onto it from the Tomtom website. I love it actually, don't know how I ever managed without it really :roll:

yola
01-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Many thanks Fran! It does look quite highly-specced - very interesting! :D

Jac
01-11-2007, 12:17 PM
I haven't got one but my new car does.:D Quite looking forward to it.

borderdawn
01-11-2007, 06:35 PM
They drive me nuts!! BEEP BEEP, turn here turn there AARRRGGHHHH!!! My boss has just had another flippin one Snooper syrius or something, sounds like the airport departure lounge!!

Fran
01-11-2007, 06:37 PM
I've just downloaded Victor Meldrew onto ours today to give hubby an 'unbelievable' shock next time he uses it :-D

smudgley
01-11-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm going to be in the market for a satnav soon as my Lexus had an inbuilt one but I opted not to go for one with the Audi. Fran, Smudgely - which ones do you have and how much did they cost?

Well I would definitely have a Tom Tom Yola. I had a hand held PC with GPS origionally but it wasn't as good as the Tom Tom, then after 12 months it died so I had a refund & got a Tom Tom.
I got one this week which is another Tom Tom but an updated version (only got another because this was issued to me because of H & S & all the driving we do at work) -:roll: they are anything from about £130 to £300 which is much less than they were a few years ago.

Kim
01-11-2007, 07:54 PM
I love my Sat Nav, it is onlya cheap 2nd hand one, but does thjob! As I have to do a lot of night driving to patients houses to dness knows where, it has been invaluable. Like the sound of the one you have Smudgley. Will have to start saving!

smudgley
01-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Kim, that's the same as me, driving to clients houses & it helps me get from one place to another so easily.....

Kay
02-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Think I will have to consider getting one to get me to all the cat shows. I have to depend on the AA rout planner maps which aren't always correct.

smudgley
02-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Think I will have to consider getting one to get me to all the cat shows. I have to depend on the AA rout planner maps which aren't always correct.

You treat yourself Kay. :cool: I'm not one for gadgets, I don't know what half the things are these days (ipods & the likes) but a sat nav, is worth its weight in gold in my opinion, especially if you travel a lot. I often have to find houses for people that I've never been to before, & there's no stress or hassle about finding your way there..... the prices have come down loads too.

ETA Kay - did you edit your post slightly or have I gone mad?

Kay
02-11-2007, 12:24 AM
They do sound good so I will get Christmas out the way and get one.

I haven't edited the post but perhaps I should as I have spelt route withou an e.