PDA

View Full Version : Obesety and the Diva

Elaine
11-10-2007, 03:50 PM
The Diva joined kitty weight watchers this afternoon, she did curse alot:shock: I dont know where she has learnt such foul language.;) It certainly wasnt from me:oops:
Anyway she has lost a little more than I had thought. She weighed in at 6.54 kilos, must have been the furminator this morning:lol:
They gave me the choice of two diet foods. Hills, which I am not very keen on any way but the nurse said it was full of fibre and would make her poop more:? , I thought about it for a short time and said no to that one coz as you know, Eva likes to poop on the floor:roll: so we have gone with the Walthams obesety diet for now and she will be weighed again in two weeks.
The nurse said her ideal weight should be between 4 and 5 kilos:shock: Thats lighter than the vet said oringinally. They laughed at me when i said she was a very big boned girl. Will take it gradually and see how she goes. Is there some sort of weight guide for cats and specific breeds of cat as there is for dogs? How do they work out what the ideal weight is? I mean we all know that as humans, I may be the same height but my build would determine that I may be heavier/lighter than you. Get me?

dandysmom
11-10-2007, 04:27 PM
I know what you mean about people Elaine. According to the people weight tables some professional athletes are technically classified as overweight, but really aren't, as muscle is heavier than fat.... don't know if there's a cat weight/breed chart but will Google after lunch and see what I can find. Poor Diva! She did not have a nice day.....

Mags
11-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Elaine I posted this link earlier this month, it shows you a chart of the average weight for a small, medium or large cat. It starts with the Moggy then shows all the different breeds of cat. It may give you an idea of comparison for Eva.;)

http://www.petsgetslim.co.uk/site-media/images/modules/advice/Cat_weights.pdf

whiskey
11-10-2007, 07:00 PM
perhaps my stella should give this ago she looks like a pea head because her body is so big.i wish the diva the best of luck at loosing those extra few pounds:-D

Elaine
11-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanx Mags. I am going to aim for the 5.5 kilo mark and see how she gets on, how she looks and most importantly how she feels.
That said, she is actually much more active now, since she has lost a bit of weight. I worry about her bad temper and her swearing though:lol:

Erin
11-10-2007, 10:46 PM
wonder where she gets that bad language from Elaine,shes been listening to that ruby hasnt she :lol:

Grete
11-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Poor Diva, being forced to undergo such torment ;)

She will be so much better tho with a bit more weight off and I agree, go by what you feel is right.

random
12-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Oh don't even get me started on people weights. Apparently I need to loose 4-5 stone, I admit to being overweight but i'm a size 12-14! 4-5 stones???????? I'd be a double zero! :shock:

Anyway! Well done to the diva on her loss and hope she continues to do well. I think you will know when she's at a good weight, all these figures and things are just a guide and every cat is different. Even just between my mogs there is so much diversity in weight and all are a healthy weight so i'm told at check ups.

I think it is hard to tell when you don't know what is actually fat and what is muscle. Tucker is a huge lad for his age and weighs like a brick when you pick him up but he's very lean and muscular as he is always out and climbing trees and doing things if you know what I mean? Not fat at all.

Elaine
12-10-2007, 10:23 PM
I was actually wondering today. Surprised you all huh?:lol:
No I wondered, if Eva has gradually been losing weight (slowly but steadily as it should be), why was it necessary to change her food to prescription diet food? Surely I have been doing ok by her if she is losing it gradually and on light food and hilife.

dandysmom
12-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Good question! Sounds as if your program is working well with her...slow and steady weight loss. Is it possible that the prescription diet might be more filling so she won't be perpetually hungry?

Amber
13-10-2007, 04:34 PM
I found with Amber that the light diets slowly decreased her weight to start with, but after a time she stopped losing the weight and remained the same. It was only when I changed her onto the prescription diet that she really began to lose the weight.

She's a much happier girl for it and is much more active, and I feel good knowing I've done the right thing for her :D it can be hard getting the weight off, but it's such a great feeling when you do!

Elaine
02-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Ok, can we have a drum roll please for Eva's weigh in:lol:

She actually hasnt lost as much as we had hoped, not that we want her to lose too much too soon, so now we have to increase her activity.

She is down from 6.54 to 6.5. At least its down and not up;)

Grete
02-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Yay well done both of you :) It's a start and going in the right direction :)

Elaine
02-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Yay well done both of you :) It's a start and going in the right direction :)

I was actually a little surprised and disapointed because she is certainly looking much leaner.
She did have a little feast yesterday, I suspect Bernie helped alot, because he knows how to open cupboard doors. Graham came home to find the bag of food almost empty and buscuits all over the floor.
She is such a funny little thing and has also taken to joining me in the bathroom, every time I visit, she visits too, if she doesnt have a wee at the same time as me then she jumps onto my lap for a cuddle.

dandysmom
02-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Good news about the weight. bless her little white paws!

Liz
03-11-2007, 01:00 AM
Congrats to the Diva and how can you balme Bernie for the cupboard opening me thinks you need child proof locks on the cupborad!!!!

yola
03-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Congrats to the Diva and how can you balme Bernie for the cupboard opening me thinks you need child proof locks on the cupborad!!!!

LOL! You have one smart cat there Elaine :D I think the trick with Eva is tiny steps one at a time. Eventually you will (hopefully) get there. Good luck!