PDA

View Full Version : Moving and Groving?

Kazz
09-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Okay then people how do you get around?

Car? Bike? Train? Bus? Tram? Shanks Pony?

I normaly use the car to get about, but always walk to and from work.
But have decided I will use the ar less and today used Public Transport the bus......:shock: ...and it wasn't too bad.
So how do you get around. I am thinking of getting another bike for short journeys:-D and leaving the car at home.

dinahsmum
09-10-2007, 05:11 PM
I walk or drive. There are quite a lot of buses trundling through, so i could get to the coast etc if I wanted. No trains here - victim of Beeching

Elaine
09-10-2007, 05:13 PM
I take the car to work, Graham takes his mountain bike which is why I am fat and he is fit:lol:
Seriously though, I thought about public transport but my reasoning for using the car is a)public transport is expensive up here and b) I am the only one at work with a car and if an animal needs to get to a vets quickly...............

Moli
09-10-2007, 05:25 PM
I use my car, simply because I live in the country....

Mags
09-10-2007, 05:51 PM
If it's not too far, I'll walk ......... I'll get the bus into town as long as I haven't got too much to carry home - if I'm buying loads of things, OH will take me in the car as I don't drive.

Fran
09-10-2007, 05:52 PM
car and horseback ;) Wouldn't know how to catch a bus or where they go to :oops:

Jane
09-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Walk to all local places..like school and back, to the shop etc. Get my dad to drive me most other places though..

dandysmom
09-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Walk in the neighborhood; public transportation (bus, subway) otherwise, all my life.

yola
10-10-2007, 09:46 AM
I walk into the town centre, living only 5-10 minutes away from it. I drive to work because I have to drop 2 children off at school/nursery on the way and the office is right out in the country and not served by any public transport.

I try to get the super market run done at the same time, or sometimes if I have the puschair I will use the town centre M&S or Sainsbury's.

If I go into London we will either drive (if we have to take the baby + pushchair), or if it's just us or us with Dominik then it's train/underground.

I haven't taken the bus in a long, long time apart from the occaisonal hop from Liverpool St Station to Shoreditch when I worked in London several years back.

Jac
10-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Because of my mobility I'm afraid I have to drive where ever I go.:( Fran I would love to go by horseback:D
Ceilidh's school is 3 1/2 miles away so no option there as I can walk small distances.
I'm ashamed to say I dont even know what buses run from town to where I live:oops: and there's a bus stop just outside my door:oops: The only thing about getting the bus is they are so jerky. I could really do some damage to my back.

dandysmom
10-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Jac's post made me wonder: are your buses equipped for wheelchair users? All of ours are here in the City. It's amazing: the steps fold into a platform and lower so the person wheels on it, then it rises, and the person wheels to a special place where they can park the chair. It must make a teriffic difference to people being able to get around!

Donna
10-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Its car all the way for me.. but dont travel far. Have many short journeys to do in even shorter time, so need the car to nip about from home to school to work and then back again.... it is a timed and delicate procedure to be in the right place at the right time so cannot rely on public transport!!!

Jac
10-10-2007, 06:26 PM
DM some of them do. Not a lot of them and if your in a wheelchair I'm sure not enough.

Mags
10-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Jac's post made me wonder: are your buses equipped for wheelchair users? All of ours are here in the City. It's amazing: the steps fold into a platform and lower so the person wheels on it, then it rises, and the person wheels to a special place where they can park the chair. It must make a teriffic difference to people being able to get around!
There are a few wheelchair access buses around Eileen and I think when the older ones are replaced, the new buses will have more access and consideration towards disabled people...

http://www.translink.co.uk/bustrainaccess.asp

yola
10-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Yes we have some of the low access ones, but although you can easily get a pushchair (stroller) on (I assume - never having done it), I'm not sure about wheelchairs. About time they did though, it would give wheelchair users much better access to the outside world!!

MrsH
10-10-2007, 07:59 PM
I drive to and from work, there are no buses covering the route. In fact, local public transport is pretty thin on the ground here. As we're in the commuter belt we have good train links to London and when we go up to town, that's the mode of transport we use.

I walk to the local shops for anything other than a large supermarket trolley-dash. I'm lucky as I have the doctor, chemist, vet, baker, post office and a small parade of shops all within walking distance. Unfortunately our doctors' surgery is going to move and it will be too far to walk there, so I'll have to use the car. I suspect that the local chemist will probably close once the surgery moves.

Grete
10-10-2007, 11:18 PM
I used to only use the car because of difficulties walking and also I suffered from agoraphobia and I managed to get to the stage where the car was an extension of home so as long as I had it near me, I would be OK.

Happily I can walk much easier now and I am trying to get less dependant on the car.