PDA

View Full Version : Alex pens yet?

Kazz
28-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Alex any news on when you get the CPL pens yet? and how are your little family doing?

alexgirl73
28-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Hi Karen
I have the form in to the council just now and I'm awaiting permission to have one erected. There shouldn't be a problem with the permission as other housing trust tenants have them. So I'm hoping I'll have one before Christmas. As for the kitty family, lol, they're all doing wonderfully. Mum is going in to the vets beginning of next week for neutering and the kittens the week after for their first injections. They are a friendly, playful little bunch and I'm thoroughly enjoying watching their antics!

smudgley
28-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Alex, does your CP branch do the full vaccination course before they go or just the 1st one?

alexgirl73
28-09-2007, 06:20 PM
Full course Smudgley!

smudgley
28-09-2007, 06:25 PM
How old are the babes when they get their first jab then?
Do the adults get a full course too?

Just interested to know as I know all the branches work differently.

alexgirl73
28-09-2007, 08:16 PM
The babies get their first jab at 9 weeks, and the 2nd one 3 weeks later. The adults get a full course as well, though sometimes if they've had their first they can go if someone is interested in them and they will take them to the vet for the 2nd one! It's strange how branches differ. what does yours do?

smudgley
28-09-2007, 08:34 PM
We do their first jab & the new adopter has to take them & pay for the 2nd one.

Kittens aslo have their first one before they go.

alexgirl73
28-09-2007, 08:43 PM
You would think there would be a universal policy for all branches to follow wouldn't you?

Kazz
28-09-2007, 08:58 PM
I wonder who sets the rules then because some CPL's will not home to people with dogs, some wil not home to people who have children under 5. Some will not home to people who live on what they consider to be "main roads" and I wonder who sets the rules?

Karen

smudgley
28-09-2007, 09:15 PM
I wonder who sets the rules then because some CPL's will not home to people with dogs, some wil not home to people who have children under 5. Some will not home to people who live on what they consider to be "main roads" and I wonder who sets the rules?

Karen

Because each branch is a seperate branch they have to set their own standards, but are given general guidelines to follow. Also there are minumum cat care standards etc, which must be followed very strictly, failure to do so upon inspection results in the fosterer being "closed down".
The kids / roads / dogs thing should be changing too & hopefully people will begin to be more realistic about letting people adopt a cat. I went to a conference recently where it was discussed in great length & the reasons why we should be more flexible about who we rehome to, but again it's down to the individual fosterer who they home to. I do think all the not rehoming to kids / dogs etc thing is stupid & it drives me mad :evil:
In fact Fizz is going to a lady with 5 young kids & 2 dogs & a cat!:-D

borderdawn
28-09-2007, 10:21 PM
I agree. When I had Darcy, I rang 2 CP branches, one told me my "Terriers" would kill a kitten, despite the fact I already had 3 Cats that had managed to survive!! The second one said I wouldnt have time for a kitten if I had 3 dogs! the 3rd one said no problem especially of the dogs are used to cats!
Dawn.

Kazz
28-09-2007, 10:30 PM
Yes but how many people would give up after 1 or 2 attempts. The thing is that sort of "attitude" just gives a way in to those who breed and sell moggies for money.

smudgley
28-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Dawn & Kazz - I totally agree with both of you. I think a lot of CP people (no offence CP people:roll: ) but I think a lot of them are cat people through & through but have no idea about dogs, obviously we need to be careful & adult dogs that haven't been used to cats would need careful introduction, but to point blank refuse you a cat because you have dogs is just ignorance! & Kazz I agree, most people wouldn't try another branch - they'd go & buy one from a person who bred from their moggy, which does indeed encourage this kind of breeding.

Kazz
28-09-2007, 11:03 PM
You are dead right Kel, thats what girl at work has just done she moved into a house with her OH, froma flat and they wanted a cat
(they both had cats at home)went to the CPL but because her OH has a 9 year old Mongrel who came to live with them as his
Mom and Dad have ill health and cannot walk the dog so he has had him back lovely dog very gentle, some beagle in him I think. Anyhow
they would not rehome to them. Even though the dog had lived with cats at his Mom's.
Theywent and got one from the paper I went balllistic and ranted on about the CPL...she then said tried them they did not want to know even though she was offering a good home for two cats (they did not even have to be kittens) she wanted justa couple a cats....

smudgley
28-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Well if she wants another cat - put her my way. ;)