PDA

View Full Version : A Friend For Amber?

Amber
14-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Oooohhh I'm so so tempted!

Today, we had a gorgeous cat signed over to our clinic for rehoming. He is 4 years old and was diagnosed this morning with a blocked bladder, meaning he had to have emergency surgery. On contacting the owners, they couldn't afford the operation and asked us to put him to sleep. Our vet really didn't want to go down that road, so we contacted the cat charity that we work closely with, and they agreed to pay for his treatment. The owner consented, and he was signed over to us this afternoon so he is now resident puddy cat at the vet clinic :D

He's a very poorly boy at the moment, so will be staying with us for a good couple of weeks until he has fully recouperated, and then he will be ready for rehoming. I am so so tempted to take him - I need to get my thinking cap on and weigh up my situation I think :)

His name is Bagera and he is just yummy! He's going to need regular medication, will probably have ongoing urinary problems and will need to be on a urinary diet. He is also massively overweight so will need a very special home.

Amber and Bagera .... has a ring to it don't you think? :D

babycakes
14-08-2007, 09:25 PM
How really lovely to hear he could be given the op that's fabulous news. We need pics to see just how gorgeous he really is of course!!! (just love looking at pics of cats)

Anyway will be hard work and need a lot of thought but does sound like you may have already made your mind up???

Donna
14-08-2007, 09:25 PM
You have a cat with a name starting with A, now you are thinking of a B...... where is it going to end lol!!!

Bagera sounds poorly and glad he has found help to get well and if you think you can do it, then dont see why you shouldnt think of giving him a forever home.

Is he a big black cat with a name like Bagera??? Its a great name for that type of cat (my Misty is big black cat and wished I had called her Bagera or Baggy for short!!).

Hope you come to a decision soon - and when he is home with you, lots of photos for us please!!! LOL.

Amber
14-08-2007, 09:32 PM
I will try to get some piccys of him tomorrow :D when I left him he was all wrapped up in his blanket, surrounded by heat pads (his temperature keeps dropping at the mo) on a drip and tucking in to some tuna :smt049

He's a big lad but not all black like you would think :lol: he's mostly black with patches of white.

I'm trying not to get ahead of myself though - me and OH need to sit down and have a good chat about it and see if we can cope, and whether we think Amber would be ok with him. If we think things are ok so far then I will take Amber to work with me and see what their first reactions to each other are.

It's going to be a long road but I've got my fingers crossed :-D

babycakes
14-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Sounds like you are just what he needs but I know you have to think it over.

Fran
14-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Oh, he sounds such a poppet! Why do people take on pets and not be prepared to pay out for treatment for them :mad: This really is a personal hate of mine - if you can't afford the possibility of vets bills, then don't have a pet :evil: I cannot believe there was a possibility he would have been pts :( Ooooh do let us know what you decide although I realise there is a lot to consider here!

mable1718
14-08-2007, 10:15 PM
i hope it all goes well with him and i hope you make up your mind.

photos will be great

dandysmom
14-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Good luck; I hope you do decide to take him if Amber seems OK with him; with your background you can cope with his needs...poor poppet! And it would be company for her......

Jac
15-08-2007, 03:57 AM
Sounds like your just what he needs. I too get so mad at people who cant afford treatment for there animals. It reflects this throw away sociaty doesnt it? Rather have the poor thing put to sleep:evil: . I'll bet they will be off looking for another "pet" shortly too:evil:

Amber
15-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Bagera is not a happy boy today bless him. He's really struggling to urinate after his bladder blockage, and his urine still contains an awful lot of blood.

He has been on a drip since yesterday morning to try to help him pass but so far it's not going so great - although it's very early days and we don't expect him to be brilliant yet. The vet tried to express his bladder but he was so tense it was near impossible, so we had to catherise him.

Bless his heart, it took 3 of us to hold him because he was so uncomfortable while the vet was doing it and screamed the place down :( he's been grumbling at everyone all day since. We didn't really want to put him under anaesthetic to catherise because of everything he went through yesterday.

We're going to sit down and have that chat at the weekend :)

MrsH
15-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Poor boy, what a thoroughly miserable time he's having. I hope he gets more comfortable soon. Fingers crossed for a significant improvement before your meeting at the weekend.

babycakes
15-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Poor thing already been through so much and he hasn't got a mummy to comfort him at this time too...really does make me mad too that we are a throw away society as you say Jac and yes they probably are looking for another 'replacement pet' :smt018

kado
15-08-2007, 11:17 PM
Oh poor boy. Like you all know i have 2 cats who have had blocked bladders and i wouldnt be without them. There on a special diet and been on it since last december. They are running aound more and more sociable as well. The other two just pinch there food as well. It costs us around£12 for a bag of there food and around £7 for the pouches they used to eat it lasts them about 10 days. Its not hard too cope with cats with this condition. Give this little man a huge hug from me. My cats know what he is going through

jane

Amber
16-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks for your lovely thoughts and healing vibes for the little man (well big lad actually he's going on a diet when all this is through :lol:).

If I do decide to take him I will actually be able to get his food for free, as we get what is called 'feed and recommend' via our Royal Canin rep, so I get all my pet food free which will save a fair amount of money.

The real problem is going to be persuading the OH :-D he's said we'll talk about it but I know he's not overly keen especially when I told him Bagera bit one of the nurses yesterday :oops: but then when I said that I'm sure he'd bite someone if they were doing what we were he shut up :-D

He's off his drip now and he has started eating the urinary food. He's not too sure on it at the moment but then the surroundings are still very strange to him and he's very stressed. I just want to give him a big hug but I risk losing my eyes the way he's feeling at the moment :shock:

I really hope I can give him a home!

Fran
16-08-2007, 10:02 AM
I have everything crossed that this not so little ;) man pulls through and that you and your hubby are able to give him the loving home he so deserves. Do let us know how things go for him please

Jac
16-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Bless, he's going through so much. Fingers crossed here that he makes a good recovery. I'm sure that once he's in a home enviroment he will settle down well. Poor baby.
Let us know how your talk goes. I hope you manage to talk your OH round. Watch this you will, and he'll turn out to be a man's cat:lol: . Good luck.

Amber
16-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Well OH seems dead set that we are not having any other animals at the moment but I'm working on it! At least I know he will go to a good home if I can't take him and I'll be able to follow his progress right up until he goes.

The cat rescue that we work with are fantastic. They are a single centre and are totally donation funded. They currently have 48 kittens and about 50 other cats. It is run by 2 ladies and they do most of the work themselves. They have volunteers who come in throughout the week but as I say it's mainly them. Being just the two of them, you'd think they may cut corners but the kennels are always spotlessly clean, the cats always look fantastic (even the poorly ones) and they always seem happy. They have about 20 resident cats who live in the 'cat house' which was a special house they had built especially for the cats in enclosed grounds. Once Bagera has finished treatment, if he still doesn't have a home he will go to live with them for a while as they will be able to offer him more attention than we can at the vets.

His urinating is slightly easier today. We had to catheterise him again this morning as he was still passing nothing when we expressed his bladder. He is still unable to pass on his own, but when expressing his bladder this evening, there was a definate stream of urine - unfortunately he vomited up all of his meds this evening so we had the struggle twice :roll:

Fran
16-08-2007, 10:50 PM
I so hope your OH comes round to the idea of having him. I do wish him the very best whatever happens, please keep us updated x

Kay
17-08-2007, 02:57 PM
I hope everything goes well for Bagheera and hopefully your OH will come to his senses. Good luck.

Jac
17-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Good luck working on your oh. If you dont manage at least you know he will be cared for untill a forever home comes along.