PDA

View Full Version : Cat allergy

dinahsmum
16-07-2007, 04:10 PM
My son stayed overnight on Saturday.
This is my adult son, who had occasional mild bouts of asthma as a child (usually associated with a cold), and who grew up with at least two and more often 3 cats in the house. So 18 years of full-on cat, 3 years of Uni holidays in the family home with the cats, then 1 more year in the family home before he got his own place. So, he's prob not lived in a proper home (i.e. one with a cat! :) ) for about 7 or 8 years.
He had the most terrible sneezy, wheezy evening and night! :( I made him take an anti-histamine, which dampened the sneezy bit, but he still had a tight chest, right up to the afternoon of Sunday, 6 hours after we left my house.
So, looks like, as well as taking the Dyson round the place and damp dusting, I will have to get some anti-allergen 'cat-wipes' before he comes next time.
Anyone had any experience of using them and if so, what type would you recommend?
PS - do you think he would build up immunity again if he ever had to live with a cat? I suggested he should get a tiny tiny kitten and get progressively more immune as it grew, but he didn't think that was the greatest suggestion :roll:

Fran
16-07-2007, 04:21 PM
I have no experience of the wipes DM. I can speak from experience and say that as a child I was extremely allergic to cats but when I left home and got my own at the age of 21 I was fine with them :? Not sure if this would be the case for everyone with an allergy tho??

dinahsmum
16-07-2007, 04:27 PM
It's odd isn't it? he used to be fine and is now (apparently) hopeless.
He stayed a couple of weeks ago. His visits are usually less frequent than that (:( ). I'm wondering if that was a really bad time period - the first visit set his allergic reaction onto 'alert' and then when he met the allergens again with only 15 days, his body went into overdrive. - A shorter period and nothing dramatic would have happened, his body would have adjusted slowly and comfortably; a longer one and everything would have calmed down?
Whatever - I'm going to have to be more diligent with the Dyson - it's supposed to have HEPA (whatever that is) filter etc.

Fran
16-07-2007, 04:35 PM
I don't think it really matters what type of hoover you have, you can just never get rid of the allergen especially in cats as it's in the saliva.

I have a friend who is terribly allergic to dogs and no matter how thoroughly well I clean prior to him coming, I have a hepa filter hoover too and despite taking anti-histamines he's always a wreck by the time he leaves here :( We make an effort to go to their house more than they come here because it's so very uncomfortable for him and spoils the evening :(

Not the ideal when it's your son though :( Has he tried different anti-histamines as they have different drugs in the different brands. What about a doctor prescription one as I would imagine the doc will be able to prescribe stronger than you can buy over the counter??

dinahsmum
16-07-2007, 04:37 PM
We'll have to see what happens next time - eek! - and take it from there

dinahsmum
19-07-2007, 12:27 PM
This looks interesting.
http://www.myairzone.com/acatalog/shop.html
If I get one (likely) I'll report back

Fran
19-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Looks interesting! Let us know how you get on if you decide to buy....

Emm
19-07-2007, 12:47 PM
I'm really allergic to animals and have built a good resistance to my own pets - apart from this time of year when they bring in the grass pollen on their coats! But if I go into some-one elses house with cats and dogs I come out in big red blotches and wheezing and sneezing.

Donna
19-07-2007, 01:30 PM
This looks interesting.
http://www.myairzone.com/acatalog/shop.html
If I get one (likely) I'll report back

I have an air purifier - I dont think they make any difference to be honest, but would be interested in your views if you get one.

Ronners
27-07-2007, 09:12 AM
I actually am allergic to cats, however, I have three, and have had many more in my time. (I just can't live without my kitties!) I pretty much live of allergy medications, however, they really do help a lot with it. I take Reactin, this has a good effect on my cat allergy.